Computer Help

General discussion

When I type in any character on keyboard, numbers come up.

by sacor1192 / October 5, 2010 1:19 PM PDT

Sometimes, quite randomly, when I press a key on my keyboard, a number comes up. For instance, if this problem was happening right now, and I pressed the "a" key, the number 0 would come up. If I press any character key again, a 1 will come up, and if I press any character key again, the number 2 will come up, and so on. So, if I pressed aaa, or abc, or a29, or 974, or any other character key combination, the numbers 012 will come up. Also, the number sequence resets after 9 back to 0, or maybe goes from 1 to 0, or whatever.

Now, this doesn't happen often, and it usually goes away after a while, but it can be quite annoying. The most recent time it happened I was playing a game in Java when all of a sudden any key press would lead to the numbers 01234...etc, being pressed. I opened up some other java programs in my browser, and the same effect was there. But it did not happen anywhere else. In my browser and in notepad (and here), every key acted normally.

This has happened before. It happened a couple of times in google chrome, and I had to restart my computer in able to use it.

Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if you need more information.

System Info:
Win 7 64 bit
Lenovo Ideapad Notebook Y560

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When I type in any character on keyboard, numbers come up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When I type in any character on keyboard, numbers come up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
error
by sharkbu / October 5, 2010 1:47 PM PDT

May be the Keyboard cable error

Collapse -
re: error
by sacor1192 / October 7, 2010 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: error

Well, if it was a cable error, wouldn't it not work all the time? Because for me the keyboard works fine in basic Windows programs. However, when typing in a flash or java program, that's when it comes up as a string of numbers.

Collapse -
Try Function Keys
by Schokers / October 7, 2010 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: re: error

I periodically run into the same problem with my ACER notebook. There are a set of characters above the normal characters on the keyboard and these get activated (by what I don't know). In my case, I press the FN (function) key and the F9 key at the same time and the normal keyboard characters return. You may have to try a key other than the F9 for your notebook.

Collapse -
Num lock
by sacor1192 / October 7, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Function Keys

Schokers, what you're describing is your num lock key is being activated. This causes the numbers you see above the normal characters to become activated. You can toggle this by pressing Fn and num lock key, which is F9 in your case.

My problem is not num lock, as numbers come up when I press ANY key, and regardless if num lock is toggled.

Collapse -
Possibly try reloading Java?
by jeanniegraham / October 9, 2010 12:53 AM PDT

I've not come across your particular snag, but I have come across some slightly odd behaviour more than once (when running something which needed Java, often after a Java automatic update.) This got resolved by reinstalling Java (from the java.com website).

Collapse -
Good Idea
by sacor1192 / October 9, 2010 3:46 PM PDT

Thanks; I'll try it, but I don't think it will work because this problem is also happening in flash and other programs not run in Java Sad

I think there is something bigger wrong.

Collapse -
Reload Java
by nomad1943 / April 26, 2013 5:39 AM PDT

Bingo! Had this problem on a Lenova laptop. Uninstalled Java and installed fresh copy and no problems since

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.