Computer Help

General discussion

When I start my computer, I get this message....

by diffuse20 / November 30, 2012 5:01 AM PST

I just recently put in a SSD into my computer, and every time I start the sucker up I get this message. LINK TO MESSAGE PHOTO: THE LINK I thought maybe after I format the SSD/partition it, it would go away but no dice. Any ideas how to get rid of this and its reason
for being there. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When I start my computer, I get this message....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When I start my computer, I get this message....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems proper to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 5:20 AM PST

If I connect drives to many raid controllers a message like that should appear.

No mystery here. I can see how consumers may hate these boot messages so consider talking to the machine's maker about another motherboard without RAID.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmm
by diffuse20 / November 30, 2012 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Seems proper to me.

So your saying this is normal, any way of getting rid of it? I can live with it as long as it's not as there isn't and issue with the system hardware or hard drive. Thanks Bob for the quick reply Happy

Collapse -
I can't answer that exactly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm

But I did write about avoiding connections to the RAID controller or ports. Usually the RAID messages are silent when we don't use that.

Is the machine's make, model and such a secret?
Bob

Collapse -
no secrets here :)
by diffuse20 / November 30, 2012 5:45 AM PST

Its an Alienware Aurora R4 - What exactly is a raid controller? Maybe I installed the SSD into the wrong port? Though I was able to format it and everything. Sorry I'm a big noob here!

Collapse -
RAID
by wpgwpg / November 30, 2012 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: no secrets here :)

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. There're various configurations, but the primary reasons for having it are automatic backup and performance. If you configure it for backup, every update to your primary hard drive is automatically made to the secondary drive. If you configure it for performance, half of the writes are made to one drive and the other half to the other one. The disadvantage of either is that if one drive fails, your system fails.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.