Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

when doing downloads they stop at 99% and never complete the

by raliegh / July 15, 2010 7:51 AM PDT

I have been having trouble with down loads , they all stop at 99% and will not complete the down load, what is wrong?

software? hardware? internet connection? I do not have a clue what to do.
Chuck

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: when doing downloads they stop at 99% and never complete the
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: when doing downloads they stop at 99% and never complete the
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TRied A Different Browser
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 15, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

Download, on a separate computer, the free Firefox browser. Transfer it using a flash drive, then install it and see if Firefox downloads things correctly.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

If it doesn't, then try downloading, installing, updating, and running a full system scan with the free Malwarebytes program from the link below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
What software are you using?
by WeaponEVO / July 19, 2010 2:20 AM PDT

Hello raliegh,

Are you using Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc? Or is it related to torrents?

Collapse -
This worked for me
by IT_kiD / June 16, 2012 9:38 AM PDT

if you are using internet explorer go to computer/local disk/program files/internet explorer, and move iexplore to your desktop. then download and enjoy!

if this doesn't work use your 64bit ie and download a different browser.

Collapse -
Check Disk
by pwshaheen / July 21, 2010 2:56 PM PDT

First. I LOL at use firefox suggestion...I completely agree but for those who still love IE I suggest a check disk. There is a particular .DLL I believe that specifically completes downloads within IE. You can either reinstall IE or run the check disk. I used to have this same problem on my old work PC. Every time without fail the download would stop at 99%. Try out the check disk and let me know how it goes. If you need instructions, three methods are provided here http://lynchburgcomputerrepair.com/CheckDisk.htm

Paul

Collapse -
Check your firewall
by GENE8 / July 24, 2010 2:56 AM PDT

It may be the firewall you are using that may be stopping your downloads from completing. You should check to see what rules you've got the firewall set to for inbound traffic. There might be certain programs that the firewall is not allowing to pass through when you try to download them because of rules restricting them.

Collapse -
Antivirus

Try turning of your Antivirus for one of those downloads.
When you download, the file is stored in catch until downloaded from the net. It is then passed to your AV before been stored to the preferred storage folder ie downloads or desktop.
The command that sends to AV is either faulty or your AV scanner is faulty and not praising downloaded file, so IE or Firefox will sit at 99% until it gets command back from AV to move to saved folder.

Collapse -
Downloads stopping at 99%
by sghose1 / July 14, 2013 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Antivirus

Hi Incognito,

I am facing the same problem. I recently upgraded my PC by extending the RAM & reloaded Windows XP.

I am trying to download Anti Virus (teh PC currently does not have any AV installed).

But the download stops at 99%, and waits there indefinitely.

Can you please suggest what I should do?

Thanks....

Collapse -
even i am facing the same problem.

when ever i try to download any software,the same problems crops up.this is happening with IE8 and chrome.i do not have mozilla installed and when i am trying to install it,the same problem arises.and strange thing is that i am not encountering any such problem when i download any music file.what do i do?
i need immediate help
thankyou

Collapse -
Re: download
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 8:45 PM PDT

- If you download a music file, do you use IE8 or Chrome also?
- What happens if you download, a pdf file or a txt file with IE8 or Chrome? This are 2 separate test cases!
- Did you follow the advice of member Incognito60 (right above your own post)? Did it make a difference?

Kees

Collapse -
Download stopping at 99%
by sghose1 / July 14, 2013 12:41 AM PDT

Hi ,

I am facing the same problem. I recently upgraded my PC by extending the RAM & reloaded Windows XP.

I am trying to download Anti Virus (teh PC currently does not have any AV installed).

But the download stops at 99%, and waits there indefinitely.

Can you please suggest what I should do?

Thanks....

Collapse -
I'd make a new post as this is more than 1094 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 2:52 AM PDT

Folk may pass it up so that's my advice as well as the CNET Forum you choose.

In parting, try a new user account.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.