Internet Services Providers

Resolved Question

When do you need to replace a DSL modem? (Verizon)

by confusedDSL / December 16, 2011 5:27 AM PST

I've had a DSL modem plus wireless router for Verizon for a couple of years and have been unsatisfied with its speed. Hulu hangs up and computers in the house often show only a 1Mbps connection. Should I be thinking about replacing the modem?

confusedDSL has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When do you need to replace a DSL modem? (Verizon)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When do you need to replace a DSL modem? (Verizon)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by confusedDSL

Collapse -
What are you paying for?
by DetachedObserver / December 21, 2011 4:43 AM PST

What does Verizon claim they will deliver? If they are charging for higher speeds you should be getting higher speeds. That doesn't mean Verizon is at fault, but to answer this question we need to start there. Verizon is difficult to deal with, but they should be able to
tell you what they mean when they say the signal to your point of entry
is good. How good is good? What does their testing indicate in terms of
how much speed you should expect?

How far are you from Verizon's central office? They should be able to tell you that. Distance matters.

What is your interior wiring like? if you're on old low-grade phone wires you may have so much noise in your system that you'll never get full speeds. Can you work on your wiring? If so, you might want to think about adding a data-quality line (CAT5) to the modem.

Is a land line phone on the same system as your DSL? If so, do you have adequate splitter/filters on the phone lines. This is essential to getting full speeds.

I think it's unlikely that your router is the primary limiting factor in
your DSL speed. A three year old router should be fully
functional. What kind of router? Can you get a router stats page on the
router software? You should be able to get a noise margin or
signal-to-noise reading. That will tell you a lot.

My best guess, based on the limited information you provide: Your interior wiring is not up to what it should be, either the quality of the lines or the appropriate splitter filters on the land line phones. You need to find out where your limiting factor is. The modem or router is not the likeliest first place even if it is the easiest to deal with.

Collapse -
Good questions to ask them
by confusedDSL / December 23, 2011 2:42 AM PST

These are great questions for me to ask them and to consider. I will follow up with them and assess things based on their responses and the factors you've pointed out.

I appreciate your clear and thorough summary - it definitely helps an uncertain DSL user like me who has trouble wading through some of the more technical info that I've encountered. Thanks!

Collapse -
Answer
At 1Mbps, that's what a fast DSL would be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2011 5:31 AM PST

You'd have to upgrade your service before it would pay off getting a new modem.

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Check your Connection Speed, Call Verizon
by kwd1964 / December 20, 2011 9:43 AM PST
Collapse -
I own the modem and Verizon is not being helpful
by confusedDSL / December 21, 2011 2:40 AM PST

I bought the modem a few years ago and Verizon seems to have no particular interest in helping. All they say is that their signal to the house is fine.

Collapse -
I think I see the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 2:46 AM PST

You are expecting support on something that is not theirs to support. It may seem odd but that's where support dies. So far I see no reason to change the modem if the service is 10 megabits or less.

Even at 1 megabit that beyond the usual 640K DSL plan. Nothing may be wrong here yet you are craving more than what DSL delivers. I think many see 3 or more megabit is best for video streaming. And why MORE? Consider you may have more than one internet user in the house.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
verizon dsl speeds
by doogg1 / January 25, 2012 8:35 AM PST

I have no real proof but I believe Verizon is neglecting DSL to force users to change over to fios. Are there new fios installations in your neighborhood. My speed constantly goes down until I make a call to verizon, then it's up again. No repairman needed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.