Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

When did that long black bar at the page bottom sneak in

by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2009 6:54 AM PST

and what's it doing other than taking up real estate. Happy Any way to make it go away?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When did that long black bar at the page bottom sneak in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When did that long black bar at the page bottom sneak in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I hope it's not permanent
by oldie and goody / November 13, 2009 1:20 PM PST

it is really a pain.

Collapse -
(NT) FF3+Adblock=i saw it once
by jonah jones / November 13, 2009 6:05 PM PST
Collapse -
i told a lie :-(
by jonah jones / November 13, 2009 6:10 PM PST

it's still there!!! but almost opaque on a white background

nothing shows with a mouse-over but the cursor turns into a 'pointing finger'

crafty Cnet

Collapse -
Ah, yes. I do have adblock
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2009 7:56 PM PST
In reply to: i told a lie :-(

and now it's just thin cellophane. At least it's not such a visual distraction.

Collapse -
I have IE
by oldie and goody / November 14, 2009 6:50 AM PST

and this is the most annoying thing CNET has done in ages!!!! Get rid of it, please!

Collapse -
You're using IE?
by Steven Haninger / November 14, 2009 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: I have IE
Collapse -
Thanks
by oldie and goody / November 15, 2009 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: You're using IE?

I will try it. I love danger Wink

Collapse -
On the seft side . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 14, 2009 9:00 AM PST

is the CNet logo that doesn't do anything. Next to that is a "My Lists" that does who knows what. Next is My Software Updates. This link tells me that I have updates for various software installed on my computer. How did it know I need 12 updates? Yeah, right. Anyone want to bet that it takes me to an ad supported link? I haven't clicked it yet, and don't intend to.

Lee! Dammit!! Can you fix this crap? As in get rid of something that has scanned my PC without my knowledge!! Or is it just guessing?

I'll tell you what. I've been here longer than almost everyone; since 1998. And this is going too far. I'm tired of this ad bull crap. Every one has to make money, but pissing me off to do it will make me leave.

Wayne

Collapse -
OK, clicking the . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 14, 2009 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: On the seft side . . .

"My Software updates" takes me to a page with "Tech Tracker", and it lists updates needed for my system, including MS Office 2007. WHICH I DO NOT F***ING HAVE!!

OK, when did I install Tech Tracker? NEVER!!

OK, I'm pissed.

Lee, listen up. Whatever is is doing, it is invasive and I want it stopped.

Collapse -
Whoa, Whoa, Wayne...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2009 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: OK, clicking the . . .

I know you're pissed, but no need for the language--we have decent folks around and you're polluting their eyes Wink Let's leave the language for our offline conversations, then we can really go at it with a few shots of scotch together, while fishing for some bass.

Seriously though, I'll be sending you an email, because the Software update list isn't suppose to display anything unless you had installed CNET TechTracker. Are you sure you didn't install it--maybe a few months back? Just need to make sure because it's impossible for our system to know what you have installed in your system unless you have TechTracker. And as far as MS office 2007 --it's just suggesting a newer version of MS Office, because you have an older version of Office--not that you have it installed. You do have some version of Windows Office installed on your system don't you?

Anyways, Wayne look for an email from me shortly.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Actually Wayne, Tucker Green from the CNET TechTracker team
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2009 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Whoa, Whoa, Wayne...

will be contacting you directly about the thing you are seeing from the CNET tool bar software update.

I however will be contacting you about the fishing and scotch :).

BTW if you didn't read it yet we will be implementing an option to hide/collapse the CNET tool bar soon.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
(NT) Nevermind--Tucker just posted a reply to you below :-)
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2009 6:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for that info ;)
by oldie and goody / November 16, 2009 8:32 AM PST

Maybe a poll should be taken on how many of us choose to hide this newest invasion Wink It can't happen soon enough for me, I mean that thing is annoying, crack the whip and make those guy's work overtime!!! LOL

Collapse -
As Soon AS Possible, Please Lee!!
by tobeach / November 18, 2009 2:17 PM PST

I came to post complaint about bottom bar but I see the mob is already in full howl w/torches(LOL)!

I'm using a "wide screen" laptop (wider than tall) and opening the SVS forum all I can see is the 1st 2 ,locked, posts 'til I scroll down!
Like squinting thru a rectangular slit gun port!! That's just the top!!
Same for Adv. Search page, search button not even in view there is so much above.

Using Mozilla w/ a power scroll which I have to click on a blank part of the page to activate. Damn hard to do without clicking on some sponsored add territory!!!

To me, the bottom band is useless and would like to prevent it being there.
I'm sure you can cure at least the bottom w/ a wave of your magic joystick!! Wink Thanks, Sandy! Grin

Collapse -
Sandy do you see the collapse arrow on the right?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 19, 2009 2:25 AM PST

Click on that and it should hide the tool bar to the left.

Let me know.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
BTW, I notice
by oldie and goody / November 16, 2009 8:35 AM PST
In reply to: Whoa, Whoa, Wayne...

that Wayne is the only one that got the reply, So bad language must work Wink

Collapse -
TechTracker app
by Tucker Green / November 16, 2009 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: OK, clicking the . . .

Sorry to hear about the experience you're having. Regarding the out of date software identified on your computer, "My software updates" is populated as a result of installing the CNET TechTracker app and running a scan. This is the only way CNET can identify your out of date software. You can remove TechTracker app from your computer by uninstalling it and removing it from the TechTracker web site. In reading your post, you may have already uninstalled TechTracker app from your computer, however, you'll need to remove your data from the TechTracker web site as well or your last scan results will continue to be displayed.

Log into CNET using the same account from which you saw out of date scan results and go to your TechTracker app home page at www.cnet.com/techtracker/app. Click on "Change computer". You'll then see the directions for removing a computer. You'll need to do both steps (1) uninstall from your computer (I suspect you may have already done this step. If so, completing step 2 is all you'll need to do.) and (2) remove the computer from the TechTracker web site by clicking on the "Remove Computer" button.

Tucker

Collapse -
Hey Tucker . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 16, 2009 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: TechTracker app

I do not remember installing this utility (?). It's not in Add/Remove, and I do not blindly install software. Maybe I did after too many scotches.

I was able to remove it using the Fire Fox add blocker. I just visited the tracker site and removed the computer.

Thanks for the link. Since it was there I guess I did install it, but when that bar popped up at the bottom I went berserk.

Tell Lee I'm sorry about the language, it just hit me wrong. And also tell him that I just finished 10 crappie filets fried in Cajun seasoning and I'm on my first J&B.

Wayne

Collapse -
Black bar
by beerman55448 / November 14, 2009 10:53 AM PST

How do I turn it off. It is very annoying.

Collapse -
How do I turn it off.
by JP Bill / November 14, 2009 2:12 PM PST
In reply to: Black bar

Use FireFox and Adblocker

Collapse -
Black bar
by beerman55448 / November 15, 2009 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: How do I turn it off.

So you're telling me I need to download a browser I don't want, to get rid of a bar I don't use ? Seems kind of inane.

Collapse -
No
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2009 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: Black bar
Collapse -
Oops
by beerman55448 / November 16, 2009 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: No

My bad...I forgot to say that I am indeed using IE8.

Collapse -
beerman55448 given the feedback from you and others...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2009 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Oops
Collapse -
yaaay it?s gone!!!
by TreoCitrus / November 14, 2009 8:05 PM PST
Collapse -
Another way in Firefox.
by Kees Bakker / November 15, 2009 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: yaaay it?s gone!!!

A comparable trick seems to be available in Opera and Konqueror (don't know about Chrome), but certainly not in Internet Explorer.

In the chrome folder of your Firefox profile (in XP it's Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\Application Data\Firefox\Profiles\<random code>\chrome make a file userContent.css (for example by editing the example file userContent_example.css and saving the edited copy under the new name). The critical line to add is:

#cnetToolbarWrap {display: none !important;}

This tells the browser to not display the toolbar at the bottom of the monitor screen.

Thanks to colleague mod John Wilkinson for telling me.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you!
by bob b / November 15, 2009 7:25 AM PST

Also thanks to John W.

That little tweak seems to work quite well in getting rid of the Cnet pest using FF.

Collapse -
You can get rid of the bar, but....
by MelH / November 15, 2009 8:12 PM PST

...the text stays visible (e.g. My Lists, My software updates)

It's about as welcome as those annoying logos TV stations float over top of everything, except, of course, commercials.

Bad decision to use this intrusive eyesore, CNET!

What next, blinking text?

Collapse -
Yep, that worked for me.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2009 4:24 AM PST

Thanks Kees/John.

Mark

Collapse -
FYI: It does work in IE...
by John.Wilkinson / November 16, 2009 5:15 AM PST

Mozilla and Google create a single 'dummy' (Chrome) file you can edit and let you specify specific websites/domains for the rules to apply to.

Microsoft supports the single-file approach, but does not create a dummy file for you and does not support per-website/domain blocking. (If another website has something with the same name but different purpose, it will be blocked too!)

Opera takes a bit more complicated approach, supporting per-website/domain blocking by creating one file per site, then applying them in a config file.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.