PC Hardware forum

Rant

Whats Wrong?!?!?!?

by bankspro13 / December 5, 2012 9:40 PM PST

I have tried to make the best desktop possible with the budget I have.
CPU i-3 3220 3.30Ghz
16gb RAM
GPU AMD 7750 2Gb
64gb SSD for the OS
250Gb HDD with 65% free
I Cant play Far Cry 3, Whats going on??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats Wrong?!?!?!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats Wrong?!?!?!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: can't play
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: Whats Wrong?!?!?!?

Two pieces of info that might be useful:
1. A link to the system requirements of the game
2. More information about WHY you can't play it, like "it doesn't recognise the mouse" or "it says the monitor doesn't have a supported resolution" or "it fails to install because it's the 64-bit version and I have a 32 bit OS".

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Can't Play
by bankspro13 / December 6, 2012 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: can't play

Requirements are met, The peripherals are fine, during the game it crashes, which is only 30 seconds into the cut scene.

Collapse -
I'd ask the maker to check this out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 12:50 AM PST

The list looks like a nice run of the mill machine that should run the game. But the OS setup could be incorrect in some way so ask the maker.

As no maker was noted, I can't look into this.
Bob

Collapse -
Maker
by bankspro13 / December 6, 2012 4:31 AM PST

The maker?

Collapse -
The company that made it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Maker

Members need to tell all about the machines. If they leave out details we lose a few rounds asking for that detail.

We know that self built units usually suffer from lack to updates to the hardware such as BIOS, drivers for EVERYTHING plus those helper apps.

For example I got my old desktop out and what a dog. I got lucky in that I do this a lot and did a quick research about what drivers and apps were needed. I started with the BIOS and the missing nugget for this one was Intel's RST app. That one is not a driver but for this machine, it's needed to get the performance up.

Ask your machine's maker for such a list.
Bob

Collapse -
Machine Info
by bankspro13 / December 6, 2012 5:36 AM PST

MotherBoard: MSI B75MA-P45 Intel B75http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3702929&CatId=6976

CPU:Intel BX80637I33220 Core i3-3220 Processor - Dual Core, 3MB L3 Cache, 3.30GHz, Socket H2 (LGA1155), 55W, 650-1050 MHz, Fan http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3734679&CatId=1969

GPU:MSI Radeon HD 7750 R7750-PMD2GD3 Video Card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5598652&CatId=7387

RAM 1.Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6613461
RAM 2.Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB Desktop Memory Kit - DDR3, (2 x 4GB), PC3-12800, 1600MHz, CL9, Intel XMP Ready http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7104116

STORAGE DEVICES??

The BIOS and Updates I will look into but I have updated both the hardware drives and helper apps like the AMD catalyst helped me actually get some play time, but still crashes.

Collapse -
Crashes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Machine Info

As I read you are changing clocks from stock I see a big reason to crash.

-> Did you go get the RAM "specs" and see if your BIOS settings match?

That's a pretty deep area that the maker of the PC (you in this case) have to sort out. It's an area that can really torque folk since they never imagined how much detail is required to integrate parts.
Bob

Collapse -
RAM BIOS ?
by bankspro13 / December 7, 2012 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: Crashes?

I never knew RAM had to be BIOS matched I always thought as long as it fit the slot it was fine.

Collapse -
(NT) I wish that was true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 2:06 PM PST
In reply to: RAM BIOS ?
Collapse -
More details...
by Willy / December 6, 2012 1:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Details
by bankspro13 / December 6, 2012 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: More details...

No, total war does not run that well, I am running windows 8, I just downloaded AMD catalyst and maxed out the clock and memory speed. It ran through the beginning cut scene and into a few minutes of game play then crash. I made sure to download the latest drivers and patches for the game. It is based off Uplay, and patches the game before I play. PC began with issues, MEMORY MANAGEMENT when I installed the RAM in a 2,4 pattern in the sense 1,2,3,4 slots i used slots 2 and 4. That didn't help so I switched it to 1,2 and then installed another set of RAM in 3,4. I dont have that issue anymore.

Collapse -
Re: details
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Details

I'd try with default settings for clock and memory speed. If it still doesn't you go back to the shop where you bought the PC and let them fix it under warranty.
What happens if you reinstall the game from the original disk without any patches? It should work then.It's the first thing the shop will ask you: stock settings and a stock game to prove the machine is defective.

If you assembled it yourself ("tried to make" can be interpreted so) it's your own task to find out what's wrong.

Kees

Collapse -
Details
by bankspro13 / December 6, 2012 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: details

I "tried to assemble" myself, this is the first pc I ever built. I understand its my own task to find out whats wrong. I am in this forum to learn from other peoples oversights, I may have missed something. I will try to reinstall the game. thanks

Collapse -
The most common issue I encounter
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 5:31 AM PST

Are folk that install Windows and think it gets all the drivers and helper apps. Even in Windows 8 this fails today.

It's up to the designer, builder and such to find all the updates, drivers and helper apps. I can't guess all of them but if there is a downside to building it's this. The upside is you learn more than you bargained for.

My short check list is to work from the bottom up. I update the bios and if cards have firmware updates I do all that before I install the OS. Then the OS goes in and I find drivers for motherboard, audio, video and then the helper apps such as Intel's RST, media controls, wifi control and more.

Figure on 10 to 15 packages on average.
Bob

Collapse -
Gaming
by Willy / December 6, 2012 9:04 AM PST

I find fixing gaming problems too much of jumping thru the hoops. What works for one game may not for another. If you've a bunch of gaming, you'll find that easily is so. Which is why i asked in my prior post. Generally, speaking you have to settle the PC issues themselves before anything else. In other words the PC must be in stock or default form, no hi-end setting or user introduced tweeks. Just make sure it works beforew you move to gaming levels. Then fine-tune the game to what the PC can offer. The game setting are easier to adj. than the PC, because the PC was working before you went the gaming route. Which is why I offer in yet other posts, that basically want a "top-end PC" for gaming needs, because gaming is so power hungary for *ALL* resources whatever they may be. Further, cooling is a big issue as i see it and better be good. .

The i3 is a decent cpu but it isn't all that great for gaming, though better than older cpus. Next, the Win8 OS, well that's still open as how it handles gaming or what is still required for the best operation. So, if you can accept basic or FC3 levels as they initially install, because it finds its own level of sorts. If it seems to run then or not at all well, then maybe the PC itself still needs to be tweeked. Tweeked as NOT simply asking for hi-performance setting but what makes the PC works with everything else besides gaming. Any patches and drivers MUST be Win8 ready or capable, if MUST state so or be allowed using older Win7 offering. Last, the game itself should support whatever is being given it. Even, it accepts cpu level much lower than yours, it has to say somewhere, it supports the i3 from the makers itself. Now, with all these drivers and patches and what have you, you basically create a new PC of sorts but do all these accept each other and not fall into a toxic mix. Which is why i state, gaming problems tend to create issues regular PC won't see anywhere near as soon as loading some new game. Also, since you build this yourself, you need to recheck all your work, don't take anything for granted, yeah sometimes a boo-boo takes along time accept if some small detail was forgotten.

If you like, I suggest you get PCWizard 2012 and load it to see all the variables of your system PC has. It provides deep details and important real facts of just what you have installed h/w and s/w. Google for it.

Last, sometimes you're too ahead of the gaming world. Your h/w mix or system just needs a fix NOT YET available from the game maker. You may want to check gaming websites to query there as those hot gamers may offer greater clues, tips, and/or hints to help you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.