Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Whats up with the crappily named MP3 files?

by Zaphod_Beeblebrox / March 21, 2006 / 5:44 PM UTC

In the good old days of the Buzz Out Loud podcast the MP3s came down with a nice clean filename like:

cnetbuzz_032106`Buzz Out Loud from CNET.mp3

Now, thanks to some apparent improvements, the MP3s are now a total mess - like todays file:

cnetbuzz_032106`Buzz Out Loud from CNET.mp3&ctype=podCast&cval=BuzzOutLoud;032106

Why oh why must Buzz Out Loud's MP3 files be appended with this additional crap?

Please fix this.

Thanks!

Zaphod

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats up with the crappily named MP3 files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats up with the crappily named MP3 files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why does it matter?
by Jasmes / March 21, 2006 / 5:52 PM UTC
Collapse -
Why it matters
by Zaphod_Beeblebrox / March 21, 2006 / 6:48 PM UTC

Because most MP3 players prefer a file with an extension of ".mp3" instead of ".mp3&ctype=podCast&cval=BuzzOutLoud;032106".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Does it work any different with the longer filename?
by archaeo1 / March 21, 2006 / 8:30 PM UTC
In reply to: Why it matters
Collapse -
I have the same problem
by techmaster7b / March 21, 2006 / 8:43 PM UTC

Yes, it does matter. Unless the file is shortened to .mp3, it doesnt work. I have had the same problem with the last 4 or 5 popcasts. Its not that hard to deal with, but it is annoying none the less.

Collapse -
Well then..
by archaeo1 / March 21, 2006 / 8:45 PM UTC

Ok, I wasn't sure if it made a difference. What's your way around it now? Are you renaming the files?

Collapse -
Yes
by techmaster7b / March 23, 2006 / 6:41 PM UTC
In reply to: Well then..

I just change the extension by deleting everything after the .mp3.

Collapse -
Possible Reason
by mwrisner / March 22, 2006 / 11:29 AM UTC

I've had this problem in the past, but not recently. I had attributed the problem to be related to the Podcast downloading software.

I am currently using Nimiq for downloading podcasts.

Do you also get the long extensions when you download directly from the CNet Web site?

Collapse -
Nope...
by Zaphod_Beeblebrox / March 24, 2006 / 4:38 PM UTC
In reply to: Possible Reason

Its not caused by the podcatcher. I've been using Doppler for far longer than I've been subscribed to Buzz Out Loud. When I first subscribed its been fine - its only over the last week or so that these crappy mp3 names started showing up. I also subscribe to lots of podcasts and only Buzz Out Loud has this problem. My guess is that they did this to somehow track things through iTunes but not everyone uses iTunes.

C'mon guys, please fix this.

Collapse -
my guess
by beelissa / March 25, 2006 / 5:42 PM UTC

It seems to me that at about the same time the long filenames of Buzz Out Loud started, other podcasts I subscribe to started having long filenames too.

I don't know anything about how podcasts are uploaded, but I wonder if the services that host the files changed the way they list the files, for some reason.

I wish Veronica, or someone who knows, would explain why the filenames changed.

FYI, if you have Windows Media Player, you can rename them in there. You might be able to do it in iTunes, too. Or Windows Explorer, of course.

I don't rename them. They still have an mp3 extension when I download them using iPodder, and they work on my SanDisk Sansa, even with the long filenames. I have to stretch the Windows Explorer window to be able to see the date, which is toward the end of the filename. That's the only inconvenience I've experienced.

Collapse -
The long filename
by acedtect / March 25, 2006 / 7:29 PM UTC
In reply to: my guess

I thought I posted this elsewhere but will repost. The long filenames are part of a redirect system for tracking. The tracking is needed for sales, and the redirect is how CNET does the tracking.

Collapse -
thanks for letting us know.
by beelissa / March 26, 2006 / 7:51 PM UTC
In reply to: The long filename

I knew it was something like that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions