Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

whats the safest browser?

by yenlo73 / April 6, 2010 10:36 PM PDT

im using IE8 i have 64bit and 32 i usually use the 32 cos of flash player!But wiv getting infected alot im dobting it so any advice of which browser is safestie is firefox,google chrome?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: whats the safest browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: whats the safest browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: which is the safest browser?
by VigneshKrishna-2342000289 / April 6, 2010 10:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
browsing safely
by davidwholt / April 7, 2010 7:24 AM PDT

I think Opera is somewhat 'safer'
at least partly due to not being as popular
a target with malware creators;
also since there are so few Opera users.

Another indication is Secunia usually rates it as secure,
compared to almost always vulnerabilities with IE and FF.

Collapse -
All Browsers Have Some Holes
by tobeach / April 7, 2010 4:29 PM PDT

in them. They get patched frequently but each major new version has new holes! The basic problems are often the user & such script items as
Flash, Shockwave (also run thru Adobe Reader etc). These items have as much control over your machine as you do at the keyboard!! Likely more because they perform whatever in micro-seconds and you react MUCH more slowly! That why one must be very careful with these.

At present, I suggest Firefox &/or Sea Monkey as preferred particularly WITH the NoScript add-on added! NoScript blocks all scripts upon reaching a site. Available for Both FF & SM.

When you click on the NS icon at bottom right of screen, it lists who is trying to run scripts on your machine and you can allow/allow temporarily for this visit/deny each one individually.
Smart, safe sites try not to require Scripts for the main page but might need for log-on or for bouncing between various pages there.

My rule of thumb is to leave all blocked or if need be ok ONLY the main site name. If a flash player or whatever is embedded & blocked, putting your cursor over the "F" icon displays who controls the player and I might ok ONLY that one also. Unless it's a site you trust and visit often, I prefer Temporary ok always.

Infection comes thru any incoming opening whether in Mail, Chat, Messenger, News Groups, Facebook, My Space, any toolbar, any remote printer share,desktop,online help, cloud service, etc. Browser isn't the only hole to worry about!

Unfortunately, I spend more time updating than browsing! Eurk!! Sad

Collapse -
"BROWSERS" no longer client apps on a remote pc/lap/mobi
by theseepeayuZe / February 21, 2015 5:55 AM PST

Every browser today is a so called "smart" browser, even Opera servers monitor your activity, you might as well just say you no longer own anything, esp. when it comes to being tracked online. Perhaps the most nuetral browser in this regard is Commodo Dragon, they do not have an agenda while disrupting and thereby destroying your right to privacy.

Collapse -
My decision...
by alexstingmaster / March 20, 2015 7:54 PM PDT

There I use Firefox, Chromium and Opera. But since Linux is very safe, I don't have to worry about the browser capabilities in that regard.

Collapse -
by kim112200 / March 23, 2015 3:32 PM PDT

Well, there's really no safest browser. All browsers has their pros and cons. But if we're talking about minimal vulnerabilities when it comes to security, I will suggest Chrome because it releases a new version with security fixes every fifteen days while Internet Explorer and Firefox releases security updates about once a month.

Collapse -
by Ronaldlees-2 / March 23, 2015 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Browser

The big software projects are all full of bugs. In some cases, thousands of them. As a society, we've become so acquainted and familiar with the idea, that we're numb to the consequences. Out of the thousands of reported bugs, it takes one to exploit your computer. There are more unreported bugs than reported ones, as it's a matter of statistical inference.

So - my recommendation is that one should try to have only a minimally exposed attack surface for one's online activities. The browser is just one part of the picture - and itself depends on the attack surface that the user may provide in other ways, and on the operating system's flaws.

So - javascript is often used as an attack surface. If you don't need it, don't use it. For instance, many internet forums do not require that you have javascript turned on in order for them to function properly. I often use a javascript-less browser for forum posts for this reason. Then I don't have to worry about a misconfiguration that turns it back on. I'm not recommending any particular browser. The javascript-less ones (of course) have bugs (just not the javascript oriented ones). Yet - I see my own selection of a javascript-less browser as presenting a smaller attack surface. When I must, I use a javascript enabled browser. Because of all the bugs, I don't necessarily trust any one of them. I'm still looking for improvement. Vivaldi is a new (Opera style) browser that I'm evaluating. I don't have an opinion of it yet.

Another thing that javascript brings into the picture are the subsidiary links. The more out-of-domain links that the main site links to - the larger the attack surface will be. Javascript enables some of these extra links, so turning it off may reduce your attack surface.

Your attack surface is diminished by the use of HTTPS. It's somewhat more difficult for an attacker to insert stuff into HTTPS connections. Always try to connect to sites with that protocol (as shown in the leftmost portion of your address bar). The use of the EFF "https-everywhere" plugin may facilitate this semi-automatically - but I'm not a fan of plugins either. Plugins may bring in their own attack surfaces. (I don't know about the the https-everywhere plugin - heck maybe it's perfect. Doubtful, though - what software have been shown to be perfect?

Collapse -
My solution
by alexstingmaster / April 24, 2015 11:38 PM PDT

Chrome is the best browser ever. PC Mag rates Chrome the highes. I trust this browser.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.