Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Whats the most secure Internet Browser

by suleman1uk / June 21, 2004 3:21 AM PDT

Hello

I am afraid that when i do my banking online or shop online there could be security flaws. my internet explorer is very good, but are there other borwsers out there which are more secure, and maybe even have their own security features!

thanks a lot!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats the most secure Internet Browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats the most secure Internet Browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Whats the most secure Internet Browser
by Patricia / June 21, 2004 3:39 AM PDT

Also, it is a matter of which browser(s) your bank will recognize. Banks only accept certain ones.

Pat

Collapse -
by Berfert / June 21, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

what browser is that you are currently using?

Collapse -
by suleman1uk / June 22, 2004 2:05 AM PDT

internet explorer

Collapse -
by dawillie / June 22, 2004 4:29 AM PDT

the IE browser, has had 128 bit encrytioin built in since IE versoin 5.5.

if your version is lower, then you would be well advised to go to the Windows Update site and download the latest version and patches.

david williams

Collapse -
by ereedks / June 22, 2004 11:51 PM PDT

Actually, there is no such thing as a "secure" browser, meaning one that can't be violated. It basically comes to a personal preference. Some claim don't use IE, because many wanting to get back at Microsoft will attack IE users. I prefer using IE for the reason that, yes, it gets attacked from many directions. BUT IT GETS PATCHED. Others have vulerabilities that nobody ever releases, so the vulnerabilites remain. Just use some common sense, protect your machine (firewall, update Windows, etc)the best you can, and that's all you can do.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well said!!!!!!!!
by glenn30 / June 22, 2004 11:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Wabo / July 1, 2004 8:03 PM PDT

I only use IE for java besides that Firefox since it is the fastest one around.

Collapse -
by Swier / June 24, 2004 5:40 PM PDT

I agree with most of the above respondents, but it is always wise to look around. Microsoft have never been too good at communications. I am starting to develop some web sites, and start to discover that both IE and
Netscape do not support the latest security issues in an optimal way. I am currently lookin at Opera, which supports the W3C standards in a better way, and has a better reputation for safety. The problem is that approx. 90% of users worldwide uses IE, so most banks will support mainly that browser. I recently had some issues with Opera and my bank, but after sending them an email they confirmed that they are more an more moving to standard-supporting sites, that should be "browsable" by browsers that are not IE.
Opera does have a few other facilities that I like: It supports the latest standards, it supports multiple I-net sessions while running the app. once, has integrated search facilities, etc., etc.

Have a look! You can download it for free: http://www.opera.com.

Swier

Collapse -
Best Browser you say?
by SkilledNTampa / July 31, 2006 9:54 PM PDT

Well, like previous replies, you're already learning that there really is no "best" browser; however, the IT industry folks or guru's like myself, you have to understand the backend of the browser.

For example, security wise, Mozilla Firefox or just Mozilla are you best bets. Why? Because almost all the other browsers including IE are built using the mozilla kernel. Firefox, so far, has held on to the reputation of, most secured browser and it is what I use; however, like every browser different coding or plugin's will influence how fast your going to surf.

There are things that IE, Mozilla and Firefox have problems with queriying Java, which is odd, because its a Virtual Machine design by Microsoft unless your using Sun Microsystems Java. Firefox is still my choice; however, I recently (and it shames me to say it), Netscape has come out with a the fastest I've seen in a while. Pages I use to have a problem with loading because the browser is spending too much time on a line or lines of code of the actual page are opening much faster in Netscape's new release. And remember, I'm biased against Netscape. The overall purpose I'm trying to convay is, forget about the best browser and focus on the best tools to protect your computer from virus, malware/grayware and maybe a firewall that all work well with your choice of a browser. Your only as good as your weekest link. When browser software compaines start overwhelming a browser with all sorts of "enhanced" features, you ultimately lose control of your online experience. Some browsers are coming with Virus protection built in, which defeats a standalone you may already have and you should never have more then one anti-virus on any one machine (NOD32 still being the champ in the anti virus department). The shell, or Kernels are all pretty much the sime, like linux is based on a core then open source or designers will cater it to their design. Keep it simple. Something you find user friendly backed up by good protection (I use Firefox with NOD32 for anti virus, Raptor firewall through a proxy and Norton Internet Security for my client, which has enabled me to go, so far, spyware and virus free. But you always get spyware, no way around that. Thats why you stay up on the most current tools, like Spybot, ad-aware, housecall.trendmicro.com and keep them all up-to-date. I will say that the most exploitable browser out there is, at current, Microsoft's IE, so if you think your safe with just IE, I can show you a 1000 different exploits to gather information if I wanted to or was that type of person. Not hard to find. So, I would only suggest not using IE. Something that blocks all these sites like yahoo, msn etc to push a malware item that puts yahoo toolbar on your browser without your permission that has a built in pop up blocker, well, thats just not good, so go with a browser that will notify you of anything it see's and ask's for your approval before it changes, like firefox.

Collapse -
by Llewellyn / June 24, 2004 6:52 PM PDT

I believe you are asking the wrong question,
The browser is not the problem, it's the operating system .
Let's face it you are trying to work with the most attacked operating system in the world.

Try switching that and all your security problems will almost instantly vanish.

Collapse -
by zee10 / June 24, 2004 11:22 PM PDT

From my recent reading of many opinions on different forums and also articles, seems that Mozilla and FireFox(made by Mozilla/Netscape) are the most secure.
But as was mentioned here, Microsoft is issuing security/critical patches all the time, almost on a weekly basis, and if you configure IE to remind you about new updates and then download them, then it should be ok.Keep in mind, that some patches/updates are not critical and applied only to a certain features, that you may not be using, so read the descriptions of the patches.
IMHO, Internet Explorer is the best browser with the most features, plus there are many add-ons that can be downloaded - some are free.

Collapse -
by ereedks / June 25, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

I can tell you, at college our instructor used Mozilla to show us how vulnerabilities can be exploited. So no, Mozilla isn't secure at all.

Collapse -
by yahya / June 25, 2004 11:31 AM PDT

I am also new to internet banking but when I started using this new service 10 days ago, I was under the assumptions that on top of the 128 encryptions provided by I Explorer, banks, like other sensitive transmitted Data sent through the internet, would be forced to use SSL (Secured Socket Layer Protocol)!! Would any one like to comment on that? Thanks

Collapse -
by warmask / June 25, 2004 11:06 AM PDT

First of all there is no such thing as a secure browser, any determend hacker can and will crack any browser, computer system. all you can do is make it harder for them to do so, hopefully detering any attempts or makeing it so the hacker is 90 years old before he/ she finnaly suceeds. second of all if you keep a fire wall up, and keep both windows and IE updated you should stay perty secure, oh and change your passwords often and make sure they are combinations of both numbers and letters.

Collapse -
by CburgRose / June 26, 2004 8:32 AM PDT

You could try Mozilla or Opera. I've used them before and found them both to be very secure.

Collapse -
by joelol75 / June 26, 2004 4:47 PM PDT

128 bit SSL encryption is 128 bit SSL, one is no more secure than another, period. The question is what operating system are you using, two methods I, well maybe someone, would use to gain your account info would be a trojan key logger, or a more difficult way (Steal your private certificate for the encryption)

Since lazy-ness rules, a key logger is ideal and Windows is the most hacker prone. Ohhh, and for those that think windows is the most patched....

Microsoft does not release patches for exploits THEY know to exist, they release patches SOMEBODY found in their operating system. And sometimes these patches are not available for months and even UP TO A YEAR after they are known.

Because Microsoft is gaining a bad rap for having a zillion holes in their XP/ NT kernel system they are also combining patches in groups, therefore further delaying release. They like to combine "features" (Better known as massive security holes {Say Active-X controls})

Sorry for going wayyyyy off topic, pesonally I've been burned too many times by windows (And I'm not the kind to open attachments, ect.) but am forced to run their patched together crap for they same reason everyone else does (popularity) but know run it firewalled (SP2) over a proxy to an apache (Mandrake 10) server which is port forwarded/NAT firewalled by a cisco router and finally I haven't had a glitch in over a year and a half! (Occasional spyware, nothing serious)

So it's not your browser for-say, but other factors that can get you! If I was to trust one system hooked to the net it would be Mozilla running on Solaris or FreeBSD with a good IPTABLES config (Firewall) simply because of the "Security through obscurity factor"

Netscape is a commercial browser based ON TOP of Mozilla GNU source, so saying Netscape can be more secure than the lastest Mozilla release is crazy as well.

Virus/Trojan scanners for Windows are so bloated (as well as Windows) that they make the system noticeably slower which seems to be the recommended trend nowadayz... Insecure bloatware patched and protected by more bloatware eating CPU cycles that can be better used. Press CNTL-ALT-DEL 2x and click on Processes. Name what every one on the list does and you win the grand prize (Bill Gates and Microsoft employees excluded) plus not every running process even "needs" to be listed thanks again to Microsoft. They like to hide "their" processes and what can't stop somebody from hiding a keylogger. And there is of course the Windows advocates.... I run Windows 3.1 for workgroups at work. That seems to be the MOST unstable, unreliable, "1st" attempt at a networking operating system Microsoft made that seriously SUCKED and was wide open to attacks and this was in 1993. Seems like a long time ago but back then UNIX did more, handled multi-user, and did it more securly (Thank you AT&T/Sun Microsystems)

The only thing Microsoft can do for software is make it look "pretty" and bloat it up with graphics. I hear their NEW release will have 3d windows and require at least 1GB of memory and be so long booting that special
hard drives with so much cache they will recommend HIBERNATION instead of a full powerdown. Windows NT (Which 2000 and XP and future M$ OS'es will be based on) was STOLEN from IBM OS/2 (Ok, Legally agreed upon)

If they were stuck with their 3.1,95,98,ME system ....ummmm

Ok getting angry, must get a cold drink and calm down.... It's just that a degenerate company that rakes in Quantum $$$ that can't catch up with a completly FREE OS (Linux) on many fronts, steals it's ideas from others w/o permission (Many which result in big MS class-action payoffs) and STILL can't come up with an original idea of their own needs to be put down like a rabid dog for something better....

I wouldn't be soo mad if I wern't forced to use it..

I bought a printer... Lexmark inkjet. Hard lesson learned, only runs on Windows and cunsumes mass amounts of ink that costs more than the printer.... Got a HP laser printer b/w to replace it... Very happy, now I don't feel guilty zapping out 400 pages just to refer to 2 or 3 times. Printer used was $300 and ink is 30,000 pages for $80.

Bought a wireless network card for my notebook. Ohh, a Microsoft MN-720.... Since Microsoft doesn't have a frekin clue about software, it sure can't know a thing about hardware so it uses a Broadcom chipset. Microsoft must put good stock in Broadcom since their wireless cards frequency can be software controlled they cannot release open source drivers so Linux cannot use it. Sounds like Microsoft invests in dumb *** companys much like itself....

Boycott Microsoft.
Boycott Broadcom.
Boycot any hardware that starts with Win (WinTel, Win Modem....)
Lexmark/Compaq Printers are the same way.

Only in a perfect world in my dreams.... Joelol75@netscape.net

Collapse -
by scr621 / June 27, 2004 1:17 PM PDT

I'm totally on your side here!
Boycott Microsoft for sure!! I'm tired of their
monopolization (domination of a market or commodity to the exclusion of others). Someone somewhere just HAS to come up with alternatives to ALL their products.
And I'll be 1st in line to try/buy them!

Collapse -
by jayan65 / June 30, 2004 3:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
IE has made the newspapers on its security issues
by gearup / July 1, 2004 10:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Suze / July 1, 2004 9:03 PM PDT

Having spent the last week ridding my PC of spyware/malware/browser hijackers (and I had Norton at HIGH settings but they still got in) I was advised to switch browser from IE (I had previously done this to Avant Browser but apparently that is just an IE shell) as the vast majority of 'bugs' exploit IE. I've switched to Mozilla Firefox - don't like it as much but if it helps prevent further episodes like this last one I'll get used to it!!

Collapse -
by indiecds / July 1, 2004 10:29 PM PDT

Security, security, security ....

Well, so far as antivirus programs go, I learned the hard way that they are not enough. My brother recommended Zone Alarm firewall. I read a lot of negative reviews at download.com so I downloaded it from Zone Alarm's web site where the file size was not the same. Only installed it yesterday but so far it has blocked 365 intrusions with 4 of those being high-rated.

As far as Secure browsers go, after reading the article at http://slate.msn.com/id/2103152/#ContinueArticle I decided to try the latest Firefox browser. Just getting used to it so can't give you too much feedback at this point but the article I referred to was written by Paul Boutin is a Silicon Valley writer who spent 15 years as a software engineer and manager. and he says the following in the article:

"Scob didn't get me, but it was enough to make me ditch Explorer in favor of the much less vulnerable Firefox browser. Firefox is built and distributed free by the Mozilla Organization, a small nonprofit corporation spun off last year from the fast-fading remnants of Netscape, which was absorbed by AOL in 1999. Firefox development and testing are mostly done by about a dozen Mozilla employees, plus a few dozen others at companies like IBM, Sun, and Red Hat. I've been using it for a week now, and I've all but forgotten about Explorer."

You can install it and you can always switch back and forth and use Internet Explorer if and when you want to.

Collapse -
by goatsniff / July 8, 2004 5:23 AM PDT

being a novice techead i just now wised up and got mozilla firefox to get myself out of the line of fire. got a nasty case of "about:blank" and pulled whats left of my hair out for 2 weeks and ground my teeth down to little yellow nubs.
had no idea what i was in for when i started reading this thread , all i can say is " !!! " some very good pionts here with a bonus rant or 2. the argument of security through obscurity is perhaps one of the most valid.
my philosophy of staying underneath the radar has worked well for me in my professional/personal lives. it is even possible to obfuscate oneself to the piont of avoiding crapp on its downhill trek. why i failed to do this online, in retrospect, is even more baffling to me. i like firefox its fairly easy to use and does things in a slightly different way, and best of all , eveyone and their dog arent out to exploit the flaws.
i had no idea there was an alternative to windows os. i thought linux was for mac and ive heard that you have to have a degree in rocket science to use it(i did mention that im still a novice).
though i knew that ms were a bunch of 2-bit hax, i had no idea to what degree. i agree they should be boycotted and their aparrent monopoly is in need of toppling, i dont have the greatest hopes(and i dont use punctuation properly:P) lets face it: youll never hear the best "genuine" music broadcast on comm. radio, the anniversary of d-day was forgotten because of the death of r. reagan, even when the only person on the planet of any merit whatsoever , Mother Teresa, passed away her death became a footnote because (former)princess diana expired the same week.
i better stop now before this turns into an aimless rant...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah, Goatsniff... know what you mean! :) :)
by glenn30 / July 8, 2004 7:07 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.