Video Games & Consoles forum

Question

Whats the max i can upgrade my PS3 Hard Disk size to?

by ASC92 / October 17, 2011 11:04 PM PDT

Hi,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats the max i can upgrade my PS3 Hard Disk size to?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats the max i can upgrade my PS3 Hard Disk size to?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not sure
by Jimmy Greystone / October 17, 2011 11:25 PM PDT

Not sure, but I am pretty sure people have managed to go up to around 500GB in the past.

As for making it hotter... It depends on the drive. I'm guessing the PS3 comes with a 5400RPM drive, so if you put in a 7200RPM drive it will probably generate more heat. However, it's not as simple as all that. You also have to look at the electrical specs for the different drives. If the 7200RPM drive has a lower voltage and/or amperage rating, meaning it draws less power, it will likely run cooler as a result. Less energy used, means less energy is wasted in the form of heat.

So, if the electrical specs were identical, and we were comparing 5400RPM vs 7200RPM drives, the 7200RPM drive would run a bit hotter, but probably by so little it's inconsequential. Now, if the 7200RPM drive is pulling less power, that will mitigate some of the extra heat generated by running the motor at an extra 1800RPMs. Just how much it mitigates depends on just how much the difference is between the two. You'll have to break out trusty old Ohm's Law and do the math to figure out things exactly.

Collapse -
Answer
PS3 max boot drive (not external) using SATA- eSATA extender
by jldranetz / July 4, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

Yes, it will see a 1TB as it's boot drive. Not talking external, which is of limited use.
With the PS3 slim, "Advanced Format Drives" are not an issue.
However, it will not format a boot drive bigger than 1 TB. I tried.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-dranetz/maximum-logical-drive-size-for-ps3/10151679084920238
I used a SATA to eSATA PS3 extender kit. (see link)
Using an external drive as a boot drive is achieved with a POWERED eSATA enclosure.
I tried a eSATA cable powered unit, did not work.
Anyway you don't want the new drive to over tax the PS3 PSU.
Also, it will not add to console heat, I am guessing lengthening the life of the console itself.
If you don't want to go this route, any laptop,hybrid, or SSD 2.5 drive 1 TB and under will work.
I had a 500GB 7200 rpm laptop drive in before the upgrade with no adverse effects.
Some have warned against heat and power requirements of 7200 rpm drives over 5400 drives.
For the enclosure I ended up using a 1TB 3.5" Western Digital AV-GP drive., designed for always on use.
An enterprise server drive might have been quicker. I would recommend a desktop drive over an enterprise drive due to the fact I keep the enclosure always on for convenience.
Everytime I power on the PS3, it's already fully spun up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.