PC Applications forum

General discussion

Whats a good cheap alternative to photoshop

by scmac316 / June 6, 2005 12:03 PM PDT

I need to do some photo editing, but don't want to spend the money for adobe. I will be doing small editing things such as the basic crop, red-eye, lighting, and i would like to make my pics a little more creative. So i want a program that i can use to play with the picture. Also, if there is any good freeware that does these things please mention. willing to spend up to $100.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats a good cheap alternative to photoshop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats a good cheap alternative to photoshop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's take your list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2005 12:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
Okay, how about an app that will...
by capt36 / June 10, 2006 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's take your list.

How about an app that will work well for composing web images containing text. I use to use PS for this, using the many text layer styles (drop shadows, glows, etc.); but lately, they aren't working. I just downloaded GIMP, and like it overall, but I'm not seeing any straight forward ways of manipulating text. Are there any other apps that will work really well???

Collapse -
Picture it...
by tygervalverde / June 10, 2005 4:59 AM PDT

I use Microsoft PictureIt!, which came as a free program on my photo disc, when I had my film developed at Walmart. I don't think Walmart offers it anymore, but some of the other 1 hr photo places might have it on their discs. It is a great program and lets you do just about anything you want, including crop, rotate, re-size, convert to black & white, convert to negative, manipulate color, lightness and contrast, add text, as well as sort, save, print, and email. It even lets you save pics in web-ready format, and it allows printing in mirror image and in any size you wish.
Tyger

Collapse -
I agree
by jastootle / June 10, 2005 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Picture it...

I have tried Photoshop and believe it is fantastic, unfortunately the learning curve is too steep for this old dog. Picture It works well, is fairly intuitive and easy to use. Well worth the price, of course I always buy it on "sale".

The only reservation I have with Picture It is in how it wants to save things. For instance, I take all my pictures in TIF format and usually edit and save one copy in JPG for web use. After you are done editing and hit "save as" Picture It wants to save it in the same location and format as you loaded, so you have to always remember to manually change the format and destination. Other than this it works well

Jim

Collapse -
Digital Image Pro (Microsoft)
by iamdrd / October 13, 2005 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree

Our computer club has decided to use DIP 10 which is the top of the line in the Picture It photo editing programs. It has good tutorials and is easy to use. It has a great deal of the functionallity of more expensive programs like Photoshop but is easier to use. It is available at Sam's Club at a discounted price.
It also handles scanning in programs easily and had the capability of adding audio to a series of pictures to create a neat ''movie'' from still pictures with smooth transitions.

Dave

Collapse -
Picture It
by bm61 / October 14, 2005 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

Watch which version. My most used tool is the clone option(remove or change something in picture). Picture It version 2001 had the option with price of $49. A newer version Picture It 10 had no clone option, you had to up grade to the higher version for $80. Microsoft tricky, watch what version. But I agree, good photo editing for the price, just buy 2001.

Collapse -
Picture It 7
by jhai / November 27, 2005 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: Picture It

Does anyone know how to get hold of picture It 7?

Collapse -
Google It...
by glenn30 / November 27, 2005 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Picture It 7
Collapse -
Good Call
by norton712 / June 16, 2005 11:27 PM PDT

The picture it for 20$ at walmart or the Digital Image pro for 50 to 79 at sams club is a fantastic solution and the interface is Top Notch.

Collapse -
Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 is Picture It's successor!
by maddiecakes / June 17, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 is the successor to Picture It and is an even better program! It is now available for as little as $29 after rebate. It is very easy to use and will do everything from photo editing/sizing to creation of photo collages. It's also very easy to print a variety of "photo packages" with this software. If you're looking for a great photo editing package on a limited budget, and you don't want to spend countless hours trying to learn it, this one's for you.

Collapse -
I'm in agreement with "Picture It"
by GinaPA / June 17, 2005 1:49 AM PDT

I loved the old Adobe "Photo Deluxe" (mini version of Photo Shop, but easier to use) that used to come in many Mac computers. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore and I can't afford Photo Shop (which I thought was complicated to use anyway). I downloaded so many free programs in search of something similar to "Deluxe," which had a lot of features and was very easy to use. I was disappointed in most of these programs for different reasons. I took a chance and just bought "Picture It" and it is a very good program and also very easy to use. I just bought it 2 weeks ago from World Start for $15.00. I haven't done a lot of editing with it yet, but I'm happy with what I have done and just about everything is self-explanatory. You can check out World Start at http://www.worldstart.com.

After reading some of the other posts, I may give Gimp a try, too, just out of curiosity!.......Gina

Collapse -
Altratives(''Abroad'')
by kanyl / June 17, 2005 4:30 PM PDT

Being new to this,I'm not sure at which knot in the thread I should join.
It seems, from the few I've read, that I may be the ''Token foreigner'' most answers covering software I have not heard of, or priced in $, rather than my

Collapse -
Serif "PhotoPlus"
by allandenham / October 16, 2005 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Altratives(''Abroad'')

I agree, Serif gets my money all the time.
In fact all their products are great value and very powerfull.
Allan (Another token foreigner)

Collapse -
This is the one I use
by ezbesthost1 / November 9, 2005 6:40 PM PST
In reply to: Serif "PhotoPlus"

I have had Serif "PhotoPlus" for over a year and the things it can do such as layers, creating webpage headers, tilting text or pics, etc. makes it a serious tool for a web designer. There are several small utilities that I use to do other important functions they are Jpegcompress and thumbnailit. These are for turning bloated digital photos to smaller files for webpages and Ebay.

Collapse -
Photobrush
by lazyatbest / October 13, 2005 10:56 PM PDT

I love photobrush by mediachance and you can find it at their homepage www.mediachance.com. They have many programs to offer but photobrush most suits what you are looking for. It also will pick up any adobe plug in's you might have on your computer which expands it's capabilities a great deal. And best of all...it's got a nice trial period with complete program abilities. The $45 bucks won't break the bank if you decide to buy it either.

Collapse -
photobrush is tops
by GasAlley / October 14, 2005 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Photobrush

One of the best programs I've ever used. Small fast, packed with features, you can do things with photobrush that take hours with photoshop.

Collapse -
Microsoft Picture it 7
by jhai / November 23, 2005 7:01 PM PST

Seem to have lost my Microsoft Picture It 7 disk.
Although a very basic programme, I could use it to do things that I seem unable to achieve with other programes.
Although Microsoft has later versions of Picture It, it seems that they may not do what "7" did. Have contacted Microsoft & they cannot supply "7".
Does anyone have "7" & be able to supply it to me in any form (in Australia)?
Thanks in advance.
John Haines
jhai@iinet.net.au

Collapse -
Picture It Express Version 7.0
by barbjoe / November 23, 2005 10:06 PM PST
In reply to: Microsoft Picture it 7

Hi...I just found a CD of it inside a package of Avery Photo Paper that my daughter had given me last year she didn't use. I guess it must have been a freebie photo program to use with the paper. Never tried it. It states for use with the Digital Photo Paper?
Barbara

Collapse -
Thanks for reply re PictureIt 7
by jhai / November 26, 2005 6:31 PM PST

Don't know what "express" version will do (limited re PictureIt 7?). But is there any way I can arrange to obtain it?
Again, thanks for the reply.
jhai@iinet.net.au

Collapse -
Picture It Express Version 7.0
by banjunlovemagie / September 11, 2006 4:15 AM PDT

Hi... my daughter is in dire need of the said software and I would like to ask whether you are willing to sell or give it to her to help her with her studies. Thank you very much.

Verbo, Jr

Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / September 11, 2006 1:37 PM PDT

It's doubtful that member will respond considering this thread is over a year old and she has only visited once since, so your best shot would be to look on Ebay...I found a copy with a current bid of $5.50.

On the other had, does it have to be that particular program? There are plenty of free options, such as The Gimp and Picasa, that can get the job done, and at no cost to you.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
photoshop substitute
by Jiller / June 10, 2005 8:44 PM PDT

Hi, I use Pixia..its free..and great....just type pixia in your web search...

Collapse -
GIMP
by lowter / June 11, 2005 11:32 AM PDT

GIMP is a great alternative to Photoshop along with being free and open source.

http://www.gimp.org/

It isn't the best compared to Photoshop, but will probably get the job done and won't affect your budget.

Collapse -
Gimp Owns
by Falcora / June 17, 2005 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: GIMP

Yes, GIMP is the greatest. It has a surprisingly large amount of tools that are very much like photoshop. You get to work with layers, magic wand tools, gradients, and you also get special scripts that automate things for you and allow you to create cool looking effects.

Collapse -
GIMP
by r_remco12 / October 13, 2005 9:22 PM PDT

I totaly agree, The Gimp is a very very good image/photo editing program. It can do almost everything Photoshop can, and it costs nothing!
For the ones who are using Photoshop at the moment but want to switch to a cheaper program I recommend GimpShop, basicly it's just The Gimp with a PhotoShop interface.

Collapse -
GIMP
by ding60 / October 14, 2005 1:49 AM PDT

I agree. I'm using Gimp to see what effort I want to put into getting 'creative' with photos etc. You can't beat the price and once you get used to the *nix-type interface, it has way more capability than I'll use for at least the next year. In the meantime, I have the $$ I haven't spent on Photoshop.

That's the same reason I bought a 'prosumer' digital camera. I'm gonna play with that to decide what I want in a digital SLR.

A following post recommends Paintshop Pro. I used an earlier version and it is quite capable also, but about $99 vs $0 for Gimp.

Collapse -
GIMP user
by boomer25_09 / October 14, 2005 6:38 AM PDT

I've been using GIMP for about a half year now,and i love it like a brother when it comes to pictures and drawings. it works like a charm, though somewhat confussing, but overall its a great alternative

Collapse -
Paintshop Pro 9
by silesia / June 16, 2005 10:33 PM PDT

This just makes it under $100.00 at $99.00
Its a wonderful software which I have used for years - earlier versions used to be freeware.
Now owned by Corel - go to corel.com

Collapse -
PSP- The best
by amlance / June 17, 2005 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Paintshop Pro 9

PSP is just as powerful as Photoshop and much easier to learn.

Collapse -
PSP- The best
by Shutterbug / June 17, 2005 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: PSP- The best

You are 100% correct. I've had both PSP AND Photoshop on computer. They are so alike it's silly to pay so much for Photoshop (I love it too, but the price tag is too much for me...I had an older OEM version of it for a while). I have been getting PSP since version 6 I believe. I use it to work with my photos. The animation software in it is awesome too!

Another great little program for a very little money (if it's still around) is Adobe Photo Deluxe. I use it most of all as I usually only need to work with color and contrast/brightness, and it's SO fast. It can do a LOT. It has tools and effects that are plenty enough for anyone. I believe I paid about $30 for it. Maybe one can find a copy on Adobe's website or on eBay! Can't tell you how great it is!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.