Camcorders forum

General discussion

whats a good camcorder for recording a live band-loud music

by angeltread / December 13, 2009 2:05 PM PST

i want to get a camcorder for recording my band and my friends bands... ive heard alot of camcorders just do horrible with the loudness of a band (distorted usually)... and some do excellent with the loudness. of course i want the video to be good too(sometimes low light will be the case) but that's almost secondary to how it sounds. for me at least. but yeah my budget is probably like up $800

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: whats a good camcorder for recording a live band-loud music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: whats a good camcorder for recording a live band-loud music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In your stated $ range,
by boya84 / December 14, 2009 12:01 PM PST

the Canons with "Mic Attenuation" or Sonys with "MicRefLevel" are about as good as it can get if you rely on the camcorder to record the audio.

Loud audio can be distorted when the camcorder's auto mic gain cannot keep up because the audio is so loud. The menu-selectable toggle of Off/On (Attenuation) or "Normal"/"High" (RefLevel)should be able to accommodate loud audio environments.

Due to the vibration associated with loud audio, stay away from hard disc drive camcorders... Flash memory or miniDV tape will be your best bets.

The camcorder manuals will provide instructions for using the Mic Attenuation or MicRefLevel menu selection. If there are no instructions in the manual, then the camcorder does not have the feature.

Another option is to pick whichever camcorder you want and if it does not have any audio control, use an audio "field recorder". When the video is imported to the computer for editing, import the audio from the field recorder, sync and mute the audio captured by the camcorder.

To the best of my knowledge, the Canon HV40 is the least expensive camcorder with a mic jack and manual audio control (it is a more granular 12-14 step mic gain control).

Collapse -
by angeltread / December 14, 2009 2:18 PM PST

hey man. thank you very much for your suggestions. youve been very helpful.

if anyone else has any more i would love to hear em.

Collapse -
My films
by Chrissexpistol / February 2, 2010 3:57 AM PST

Hi, I film with a Cannon HV20. You can see the results on my Youtube site. user name chrissexpistol. I have only edited a couple of films in Moviemaker, you will see which ones, most of my effects I do while filming. The first gig I did I lost the sound as it was too loudn now I just have my volume bar one bar over the green and it gives me a good gritty sound. Brilliant camera.

Collapse -
by angeltread / February 2, 2010 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: My films

thank you much my friend. i checked out the youtube page and indeed... that live sound was much better than so many ive heard. thanks for your input.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.