Phones

General discussion

What would make you want to switch cellular carriers?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 15, 2007 6:57 AM PDT

What would make you want to switch cellular carriers?

- Wider selection of phones (Please explain.)
- Better rate plans (Cheaper or more variety? Please explain.)
- Shorter contracts (Please explain.)
- Exclusive special features (Give us an example.)
- Faster Internet connectivity (Please explain.)
- Better or larger coverage area (Please explain.)
- Better customer service (Please explain.)
- Other reason (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What would make you want to switch cellular carriers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What would make you want to switch cellular carriers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
- Other reason (What is it?)
by julmar2710 / August 15, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

iPhone!! Need iSay more!!

Collapse -
Customer service has gone to pot.
by jbroberts / August 15, 2007 10:22 AM PDT

I'm tired of "service agents" in the wireless carriers' own stores peddling junky phones and not knowing the features of their phones or plans.

AT&T ... Cingular ... or whatever it will be called next week finally has made unlimited text, pictures, IM, & video available for a flat $29.99 on their family talk plans. However, we couldn't get an in store rep who knew about it 2 months ago. We couldn't add it on-line from our account. Their website showed it but did not give us the option to add or switch to it. When we called Cingular their agent asked us why we didn't due the switch on line since our history showed we did most business that way. I literally screamed at that point.

Cingular's RSO (company owned stores) stores used to be good, but over the last 3 years they've plunged into an ever worsening decline.

Collapse -
maybe the phones selection and
by 7aji88 / August 15, 2007 10:34 PM PDT

and the plans rates. I wish I can see plans with 200min for 20$ a month, but the cheapest plan with Cingular was 400min for about 45$ a month; however I don't lose the extra minutes because they have the rollover feature, so I have about 1600min in my account. I wish I can exchange my minutes with text messaging or data. For example 200min for 20txt message or 1mb, now that would be nice. Also I like to have a nice selection of phones, Cingular got that unlike Verizon who got the worst because almost all their phones don't have the factory software, but verizon installs their crappy software witch is so annoying to see some nokia or SE nice cell phones got to be like that when they usually have a nice OS.

Collapse -
combination of factors
by wirelesswendy / August 15, 2007 11:44 PM PDT

1) cheaper rate plans
2) decent phones that do the basics well
both without sacrificing coverage/call quality.

"Content" would not make me want to change carriers.

Collapse -
service & hidden fees from outside companies
by kscson / November 21, 2007 11:10 PM PST

I'm soooo tired of terrible service. It's like going to the dentist when I have to go into Alltel about a question!! How many years do you have to have service with a company before they quit making you sign more contracts?? I need to upgrade my phone (it's slowly dieing) my husband signed a new contract a few months ago (I share minutes with him) and at the begining of the year I signed one for 2 phones for my kids. WHY can't I go in pick a phone and get the better price??
At some point my kid tried a joke through text or a ring tone. We continue to get charged from these outside companies even though we have told them to stop. Alltel said they took care of it, they haven't & won't stand behind this. We have finally switched phone numbers (waiting to see if this works) which alltel didn't want to do. How can these companies do this when I've told my carrier I won't accept charges?? They said access was shut-off on my kids's phones.
ONCE AGAIN I HATE DEALING WITH CELL PHONE COMPANIES I truely wish they would be like regular phone companies. You call, say you want to use them, figure which plan you want & just go from there.
Kcarlson

Collapse -
yes say more! Iphone is a rip off!
by gringojo / August 15, 2007 10:31 AM PDT

Only a moron would buy iphone @ that price! Ill wait till its FREE! instead of giving my money TO MR APPLE TO DRIVE IN HIS ROLLS ROYCE! will the rest of the poor suffer & drive used! Toyotas! etc...

Collapse -
It is a rip off....
by 7aji88 / August 15, 2007 10:24 PM PDT

some people have so much money that they don't care about the price and the monthly plan cost for the iphone, but for me as a college student, I better save that much money for my classes.

Collapse -
iPhone!!
by mkellyxp / August 15, 2007 10:32 AM PDT

I was given an iPhone from work so the choice was pretty easy. I dropped Verizon like a bad habit. I regret it sometimes. Esp when i'm in the middle of manhattan and suddenly i have no service. Hope it gets better

Collapse -
Cingular Stinkulars
by greyfurgang / November 23, 2007 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: iPhone!!

I have had Cingular/ATT for almost 8 years and they are not the company they were when I signed on. In that time their customer service has gone down markedly and their signal has gotten worse since the ATT marriage.I have a friend at work and he basicly has a phone he paid 600 dollars for that he cant use inside because of this while other people with different services and freebie phones have no problem. My contract is up in February and it cant come soon enough. Don't hold your breath for things to improve at ATT.

Collapse -
What would make me change carriers
by Barry Matson / August 15, 2007 11:06 AM PDT

No Plans, no bundling, and no churn cost. Lowest access and call charges - permanently.

I just want a bloody mobile phone and I don't want to pay any more for the voice service than it is worth.

Collapse -
I did change phones from Cingular to Jitterbug
by softwarecritic / August 16, 2007 12:06 PM PDT

Jitterbug had all of the features that I wanted. It is a well designed phone by Samsung ,has several attractive rate plans, no termination fees,etc.

Getting rid of Cingular was another story. They tried to charge me about $196 for termination. I filed a complaint with the FCC alleging
abusive and fraudulent business practices. That got their attention!
Ended up with the entire amount being credited to my account.

Collapse -
I just wanted a phone that would ring
by seenodeer65 / April 5, 2008 5:36 PM PDT

I upgraded with cingular att , didn't know i could have switched co. since my two yr contract was up in a month. I got the new phone , it didn't have any innards, I called and they said send it back and they would send me a new one. Two weeks later i remembered i should have receaved it already, so called and they said sorry big mix up. Ok got the second phone and it screwed up, called them back, said second new phone is messed up , that it wouldn't ring and i had insurance on it. They wanted that too, 50.00. Grrrr.
After nearly two hundred dollars i spent and no good phones by then, i called and asked for some sort of rembursment, they said NO. I asked for some one higher up, she said sorry nothing i can do . I told her isn't that why she's mng, and she can do what she thinks is right, still im sorry. I then told her your rich aren't you. And why didn't the sales rep explain to me that my 2 yr contract was up and didn't need to sign another one, that i could do or choose who ever i wanted. She said we don't explain all that to our customers. DUH.
I hate cingulars customer representatives and MANAGER LADY. And NOKIA phones don't work. And why do they give every one refurbished phones, why not new one, it's not like they are broke.
There I feel better, thanks for listening. Happy

Collapse -
Just want a phone and system that works
by randysvh / April 6, 2008 2:31 PM PDT

It seems you went through the mill and still no results. Seems to me that it requires taking matters further. i have an old Nokia 6010 phone without all of the features that are or seem necessary on todays phones. My phone makes and receives calls and that is what i want a phone to do. Att/Cingular and now again Att have provided me with good phone service and that is what i want. No i do not need texting, or a camera, or a radio, or a walkman, or the internet attached to my phone. It seems that the 500 addresses and phone numbers i can carry is more than most of the new phones can handle. What happened to providing the basics and just good phone service coverage? If they were to put as much effort into providing excellent coverage and service as they do into adding all of the extra crap we would have a great system.

randy

Collapse -
buying out ridiculous
by Dennis Kearns / July 8, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

I agree fully that having to buy out a contract is an insane feature the carriers build in to keep you wioth them. I'm with Rogers the service is great but the charges are too high. And every time you get something new with them they add years to the dam contract. What a chisel way to sacm the users. I'm stuck with them cause i don't have the cash to buy out what a dam rip of the consumer. All the carriers are as far as I'm concerned....disgruntled is a mild term for my anger

Collapse -
need to segment
by bduerr / August 15, 2007 3:02 PM PDT

The questions are relevant but need to be put into the context of the user for more specific consideration:
Traveling Executive
- International coverage (Companies pays bill!)
- Berry like phone features
o Email
o SMS
- Broadband speeds
o Browsing
Road warrior
- Same as above but more price aware
- Possibly just national coverage
Knowledge Worker
- Broadband speeds
- Keyboard
Families and Consumer (price and plans)
- Interactive calling texting lists for families or extended family or friends

Teen / Gen X
- Services
o Messaging
o Groups
o Social networking
- phone features like
o media players
o text messaging [SMS]
o camera

In this context it makes more sense to see how certain people use the phone.

Collapse -
what would make you change cellular carriiers
by sonofroxie / May 12, 2008 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: need to segment

In the past year I have change carriers twice.
Sprint to ATT. becuse of the poor customer service from Sprint ((had problem getting a replacement phone after being with them for over 5 yrs.)and when I moved to At&t customer service was ok, but I spent hundreds of dollars on phones that I could not use at my home also I was paying almost a $100.00 for 1200 min and I was only using 40 min a month because I could not call or receive calls. (poor signal at my residence)and switched to T.Mobile when I was told that they did not guarantee service inside my home.Still waiting for my deposit

Sonofroxie

Collapse -
phones...change...
by roxy2345 / August 15, 2007 11:58 PM PDT

The number one reason for changing phones would be the area it is available to work, 2nd the rates, 3rd shorter contacts or no contracts at all.

Remember if you picked your #1 reason was rates...i would assume you don't travel much and the rates would of course be your 1st choice.

Features are very important and would be strongly considered...we love our toys don't we!!

What does this iphone do that me Blackberry doesn't...my Blackberry is awesome and i would have a hard time replacing it !!

Collapse -
what would make you switch cell phone
by 8001rats / August 16, 2007 2:42 AM PDT

Being able to keep the same number, it difficult enough rememberinga number without keep changing it
Rattler

Collapse -
Keeping the same number.
by moshelinho / August 17, 2007 2:13 AM PDT

I wish that we could switch service providers without changing our phone numbers. theres already talk of that here in India. but over here we dont have any issues with contracts and phones being locked to certain providers.

we can buy any phone and put any sim card of any service provider (provided ur putting a GSM sim in a GSM phone and CDMA sim in CDMA phone)

Collapse -
By law you can
by Ameretat / August 22, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

If you are planning to change carriers, just ask the carrier that you are going to if you can port your number from your old carriers. By law it can be sent to another carrier as long as you are not on suspension or have already canceled your account.

Collapse -
changing cell carriers
by Judith756 / August 17, 2007 1:20 AM PDT

No contracts and having some loyal customer appreciation.

Collapse -
What would make me switch carriers?
by maze51 / August 17, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

How about one that actually always worked. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!!

I get more dropped calls than an ugly sixteen year old asking for a date.

Collapse -
There are tons of reasons to switch
by MadJoe75 / August 21, 2007 1:09 AM PDT

First would be customer service. The carriers in the US have figured out that as long as they can trap you into a 2+ year commitment with a ridiculous term fee, they can treat you like crap every time you call them with an issue. Either way they are going to get money from you.

Coverage is very important, too. But there's more to it than "more bars in more places". Cingular/AT&T claim the least dropped calls. Well; you can drop what you can't make!

And then there's the almost invisible "Market Strangulation". Most guilty: Verizon. But the other US carriers happily assist with this.

Market Strangulation, to me, is when the carrier (or any service provider) uses tactics to gain, or maintain a competitive edge over the competition that hurts the customer. Locking phones to a particular carrier is one of the most obvious ways to do this. But what about using antiquated CDMA phones that can't be transferred to another carrier even if they are unlocked? And that way your competition that is moving forward (slowly) that opts for the better GSM standard can't use your towers to enhance their coverage area.

I have a lot to say about this, but for the short attention span people who are just about to give up reading this, I'll close with one more point.

Connection fees. WHY DO PEOPLE PAY THESE?!?! They want you to sign up to their network so they can charge you a fee every month THAT HAS PROFIT BUILT INTO IT already. If you or I don't sign up, they don't make ANY money. So, how does a connection fee make any sense?? The only way I can see this being tolerable would be if I had terrible credit and was a risk to the carrier. But in that instance, they should just show me the pay-as-you-go phones and call it a day.

Collapse -
Verizon
by crfqueen / September 2, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

You are so right about what a Monopoly they have created! I hate all the companies. I lost a phone and they want to charge me 350. or to extend my contract for another two years...I am tired of the ball and chain and the gov't just winks at all of their misdeeds...Shame.

Collapse -
Coverage
by ljhiker / August 15, 2007 9:59 AM PDT

Coverage is a no brainer because I have regular occasion to travel into areas that are not metropolitan. I pay extra (roaming) in most cases anyway. If you can't get a signal it doesn't matter how cheap the base rate is or how many minutes you have.

Now with kids it's a matter of rate. For those few years where they aren't able to get in a car and drive to Vegas it nice to have a low rate, especially for the girls.

Collapse -
Better coverage, I agree
by STEes Ltd / August 15, 2007 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Coverage

Why pay for extra features if you can't get signal, especially in remote areas when you might really need to contact someone?

The reason I need a MOBILE PHONE is to be abble keep in contact where ever I am.

Collapse -
No Coverage...Nothing Else Matters!
by sheshe1987 / August 15, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Coverage

100% agreement...what good is a great phone with all the bells and whistles if you can't use the darn thing? You're stranded in the middle of God's nowhere, what's more important...getting help or being able to listen to music?

"Dee Dee Dee"

Collapse -
It's the mix
by donaldavis / August 15, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

I'm semi-happy with my phone; no company will make the "perfect" phone that has everything I want. I am semi-happy with the rate plan and contract length; I understand that the 2-year contract keeps the monthly cost lower by reducing customer acquisition costs (but WHY do phones come with a 1-year warranty--what happens if the phone craps out in month 14?!?) and I don't understand why voice is cheaper than data since the bandwidth for voice MUST be higher than SMS. Faster connectivity; that's a no brainer-- I want faster, faster, faster...ALWAYS. I chose my current carrier based on coverage and speed; I almost always have voice coverage, even in the base town of Ft. Middle-of-Nowhere (military users know what I mean) and I have 3G at home. As for customer service; well it is a phone company after all...

Collapse -
1 year warranty
by BaptistKitty / August 15, 2007 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: It's the mix

I personally think theres only a one year warranty because their phone are being made WAY cheaper than they used to be. They know people are going to see the newer and better phones and they run right out to buy them. Why should the phones be made better? Most people don't want them more than a year.

Collapse -
Cheaper phones
by ecterry / August 16, 2007 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 year warranty

In my limited opinion it appears the phone companies are going in the wrong direction...Instead of better service and phone quality they're making phones into cameras, game systems,computer messaging as well as e-mail extensions to name but a few non-phone additions.
Make a higher qquality phone with better service and even perhaps lower rates...heck, I'd even pay a little more for this so they wouldn't have to market toys....that's another area altogether. Get out of the PHONE market. Murf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.