Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

What wireless router to get?

by straca / December 19, 2010 9:21 AM PST

First I have to say I have no idea about routers. None. Did not need one till we got another PC in the house and I am tired of waiting to take my turn.

Here is the situation. During the day I need to be able to stream data without any interference. So I am thinking about dual band router. One band for streaming, one for the rest: email, etc.

I have one PC running XP; the other Windows 7. Security is very important, as is speed and ease of use. The router will not be on all the time; I will use it just like my modem and turn it off when not in use.

I have read the "Welcome" email, but it does not select top 3 for example. Checked CNet Reviews as well; just too many choices. Went to local stores (BB, OD, S, etc.), but the usual recommendation is what's on sale / what they need to clear out.

Local Costco has Belkin Play N600 HD Wireless Dual-Band N Router under $90, but checking user's review stopped me from getting it. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What wireless router to get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What wireless router to get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like you can stay wired.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2010 1:22 PM PST
Collapse -
Wireless N
by straca / December 19, 2010 8:47 PM PST

This should work for my XP PC. But the new one is N? There would be computability issue, right? Even though price is concern, I am more concerned about security and speed.

Also if it makes any difference I use cable for Internet access.

Collapse -
Use cabled
by bill012 / December 19, 2010 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless N

Unless you really have to run wireless use a cable life is much easier. If you can cable one pc and run the other wireless that helps also.

Even though they say dual band what they mean in most cases is that you can run N on the 5G band and run G on the 2.4G band. Some devices have 2 2.4G radios so you can run one on N and he other on G. You have to read the fine print you still cannot run N and G on a single radio on a single channel. Note your PC nic card must be able to run at 5G to take advantage of most dual routers.

Speed wise you internet is slower than even the slowest wireless so buy a router based on other features. Security, everything can run WAP now but it is safest to not run wireless at all.

Collapse -
It's sad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2010 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless N

It's sad the makers are doing such a poor job of telling folk about N and G and all that. I came across a fellow that didn't even try to use a hot spot because he thought he had to wait for hot spots to be upgraded to work with N.

N machines connect fine with G hot spots and routers.

I see folk over analyze and over pay for such things and offered a cheap model made by someone that I've had gear from before so you can get going and get it working while you continue your research. That is, those that must research are best set up with anything working so the research can continue.

Collapse -
That is good to know
by straca / December 20, 2010 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: It's sad.

I thought, like with other technologies or software, once you get new version (N) you need N router to connect. G to N is OK, since it is older to newer, but N to G (newer to older) is not possible. Thank you clearing that for me.

Collapse -
How to do what you suggest
by straca / December 20, 2010 12:46 AM PST

I would prefer to just use my cable modem (security is much better, no additional hardware needed and reason why I never looked at wireless router) and that's what we do now: unplug the Ethernet from my PC, plug it in the new PC.

As far as running cable modem and router at the same time? I see only one Ethernet connection on the cable modem and that connection goes to my PC.

For the dual network set up I would need to run the old PC with G on the 5GHz, but from your post that will not be possible. It is the one I use for streaming data and as such is first in line for Internet access. The new PC is strictly for browsing, email, etc.

As far as the speed just ran Cnet speed test and got 6821 Kbps (TW cable).

Collapse -
Since wifi is nearly 10 times faster than your cable speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 5:59 AM PST

At 54000 Kbps why not just set up G and continue your research while you enjoy your working wifi?

Collapse -
I may give the Belkin a try
by straca / December 20, 2010 6:29 AM PST

Since I have never used or owned a router before, I may give Belkin Play N600 HD Wireless Dual-Band N Router a try. Some users are happy with it, but majority are not. If I find myself in the majority I will return it; if not I am done for some time I hope. Happy

I am intrigued with bill012 suggestion: run the streaming via Ethernet (cable) connection and email, etc. via the router. For that I would need inexpensive router (just like the one you suggest). And it would provide me with piece of mind since I could access all the important websites without going wireless.

Collapse -
Re: What wireless router to get
by harrywellskin / December 26, 2010 2:18 PM PST

Cisco assured, has the ability to conduct acd call routing, and 540000 kbps up

Collapse -
by asim1987 / December 29, 2010 7:39 PM PST

Give it a try on Belkin Play N600 HD Wireless Dual-Band N Router. It is very easy to setup and it has a good reliability. The security feature and speed are also very good.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.