TVs & Home Theaters forum

What wire for Polk monitor series II speakers??

by dizzyrapper18 / December 13, 2012 1:02 AM PST

i have not opened my polk monitor60, cs1, monitor30 and a psw505 sub so im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on the type of wires they use.
ill hopefully getting the denon 2113ci receiver also.
a link to what i basically would need would be great.
Thanks again.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What wire for Polk monitor series II speakers??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What wire for Polk monitor series II speakers??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Everyday speaker wire should suffice
by Pepe7 / December 13, 2012 4:42 AM PST
Collapse -
This place is wonderful.
by ..ben / December 13, 2012 5:11 AM PST

I'd suggest <14-, preferably 12-, gauge wire from Monoprice and banana plugs (open screw type).
BPs, 2x 5 pairs $14.76 -
Wire, 14g (100') $25.20 -

If you're going to bi-amp the 60s, and I would suggest doing it, make sure you disconnect the jumper between the terminals. Also, you might need more wire, depending on how big your room is.

Collapse -
Why bi-amp? <playing devil's advocate>
by Pepe7 / December 13, 2012 1:27 PM PST

Since the OP mentions getting a denon 2113ci, it would be helpful to also state why they might consider bi-amping the 60s per your recommendation Wink

cheers and welcome,

Collapse -
i heard bi-amping is a waste
by dizzyrapper18 / December 14, 2012 12:08 AM PST

also heard bi-amping is usually for higher quality speakers and not worth it for my setup.

Collapse -
closed bananna plugs
by dizzyrapper18 / December 14, 2012 12:11 AM PST

someone also suggested closed. why do you suggest open? and aonter guy said just to hook the speakers up open wire and not use the plugs. id assume i have to use the plugs for the reciever right.

Collapse -
You don't have to do any of it.
by ..ben / December 17, 2012 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: closed bananna plugs

Bi-amping is a feature. If I could do it to all my speakers, I would. If you need a technical explanation, ask me or look it up. You might never notice a difference, but if you're driving the gear hard, it can become relevant. And for such a minuscule cost, why not? Would you rather make you sound lesser and your amp clip?

As for the banana plugs, you don't need them. Again, it's just a convenience for almost nothing.

Collapse -
Rookie mistake
by Pepe7 / December 17, 2012 10:54 AM PST

Keep in mind you have to bi-amp properly to get the improved sound quality benefit you imply is necessarily the end result of this process, which is likely not the case. You fail to entertain the notion of getting the crossover correct, etc., which is where the rubber hits the road ;). If you are going to recommend he do it, at least provide the gory details for all to read 8-).

The OP is likely no audiophile (or at least does not have audiophile intentions), and will not particularly benefit in the way you describe. 'Keeping the amp from clipping' is as easy as locking up the liquor cabinet from the kiddies ;).

Collapse -
Oh Pepe
by ..ben / December 18, 2012 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Rookie mistake

Bi-amping (under "tips" from your Crutchfield source earlier)

I don't care if he's an audiophile or not. I'm giving him the best advice I can, and homeboy can choose to follow it or not. Bi-amping, if you can do it, is not complicated, it's not expensive, and it will quite literally give him the best sound quality and the cleanest power his system can produce. Period. That's a fact. Why do you think subwoofers come with their own amplifiers? If you guessed "so the sub doesn't suck the life out of your amp?", well then you guessed right. If you use the bass management and roll off those towers at 60 Hz, and bi-amp the fronts, well now you're tri-amping, and yes, I am recommending that, too. Will he notice the difference? I don't know, and I don't care. He can do whatever he wants. So can everyone else who reads this thread. If you think it's a waste, don't do it. But if you're going to tell him that he shouldn't, that my advice is bad, you ought to back it up, Bro. For the life of me, I don't know why you're bringing the crossover into this, being built into the speaker, there's nothing to "get right"; but please enlighten us all.

Collapse -
Hopefully this isn't an audiophile ******g match
by Pepe7 / December 18, 2012 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: Oh Pepe

You write- "He can do whatever he wants"

I don't think that was ever disputed by me. In fact, it's inherently what I was proposing, once he received ample explanation. For him, simply googling 'how to bi-amp' might not be enough. Keep in mind I was clearly playing the devil's advocate.

That said, if you want to get down to the brass tacks, why would you recommend something to a newbie and not explain it in more detail? Then you tell me I should back something up that I say!? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black ;).

I suggest anyone who's interested read the following thread @ AVS (I told myself I wouldn't do this, but it's useful reading). While crutchfield is useful in a pinch, they don't really address the topic well IMHO. It's 'hopeful listening' on the account of their so called 'expert' you have provided the URL to above.

My experience leads my to believe that there is much more bang for your buck in getting the room acoustics in order, using simple solutions such as area rugs & curtains that can help avoid nasty reflections from glass/doors or spots that seem to get muddy bass. Sometimes even an old radio shack sound pressure meter and correcting the speaker placement is all it takes.

Collapse -
You can do closed type, too
by ..ben / December 17, 2012 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: closed bananna plugs

That part isn't going to make it sound different.

Collapse -
Yes and no
by Pepe7 / December 14, 2012 12:51 AM PST

It depends on what you are looking for, really.

Collapse -
mainly theater and music at times
by dizzyrapper18 / December 15, 2012 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and no

id use the system for mainly movies and sometimes music when parties are there.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.