Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

What Windows version are you running?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 14, 2010 / 4:06 PM UTC

-- 64-bit
-- 32-bit
-- I have no clue (Find out here)
-- I don?t do Windows.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Windows version are you running?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Windows version are you running?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
64-bit Only if I really have to use Windows
by ESUNintel / May 14, 2010 / 4:48 PM UTC

It's mainly Snow Leopard for me, which is 64-bit. I have found a Mac compatible alternative to most of the software I once used in Windows. I run Windows in virtualization software if and only if I really have too use Windows, and it's 64-bit Windows 7, which I have zero complaints of. I even "upgraded" my Windows Server to a Mac server, I'm happy with it so far.

Collapse -
tried Mac
by sharee100 / May 14, 2010 / 5:10 PM UTC

I tried a Mac a couple of times. I didn't like it. I use Windows and however the computer comes set up. I just upgraded to Win 7 and use 32 bit. What are the advantages of 64 bit?

Collapse -
64-bit
by ESUNintel / May 14, 2010 / 5:34 PM UTC
In reply to: tried Mac

I purchased a G5 Mac when they first came out, and like you, I really hated that computer, I gave it away after 3 months. After using XP and Vista (I actually liked Vista) for a few years, I really got tired of all PCs looking the same, so I got a MacBook Air with Leopard on it, and I actually liked it - it was so much better than that G5 that had made me hate Mac's. After being happy with that I slowly started migrating my business to all Mac's. I don't hate Windows at all though, I do prefer OS X now, but as an IT Analyst still depend on Windows for SharePoint related tasks.

If you have the hardware, a 64-bit OS takes better advantage of RAM, so it allows you to have more than 4GB on your computer. Running 64 bit software with a 64 bit compatible OS means that the CPU can process more data per clock cycle too. The average user may not notice a difference, but with technology becoming more memory and graphic intensive, many may see a need to eventually run 64 bit compatible hardware and software. ...that years from now though.

If you own a new computer, which has 8GB of RAM (optional upgrade) and a Solid State drive, and virtualize to run other operating systems, or run demanding software (like multiple Adobe CS5 products at once), than it makes sense to take advantage of the hardware by using a 64 bit OS.

Collapse -
ok, I'm convinced, now how do I...
by sharee100 / May 14, 2010 / 5:57 PM UTC
In reply to: 64-bit

Can you change from 32 bit to 64 bit on a system? I have a Pentium quad core (true quad core, not 2 duos)2.40gHz with 6gb ram. I just upgraded to Win 7. I haven't reinstalled all my old software. But for fun I use CS3 & Bridge, Acrobat, Microstation (cad program), dvd copying/editing software, MS Office and Open Office (sometimes both just to compare how they work) AND play on the internet AND check emails. And sometimes I have all of them running at the same time while I am watching a movie online from Netflix. I just retired, but can still multitask.

Collapse -
64 bit Info
by ESUNintel / May 14, 2010 / 6:36 PM UTC

Sadly Microsoft doesn't allow for an upgrade from 32 bit to 64. What you can do is purchase an OEM version from Newegg.com or Microcenter; it's the system builder edition and runs like the retail version. The catch is OEM can't be upgraded. If you use Home Premium, Newegg has it for $100 right now. ...I've been buying OEM versions since XP, it saves money.

It sounds like your software will work fine in a 64 bit OS, but run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor just to be sure. You shouldn't have problems unless you're running pre-historic software and hardware (most of us probably aren't).

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by sharee100 / May 14, 2010 / 6:55 PM UTC
In reply to: 64 bit Info

Yes, I just bought an OEM cd for Win 7. My computer is just 2 years old so I guess I'll just wait another 2 years and buy another computer. Does anyone else feel the compulsion to keep buying newer more powerful faster computers all the time?

Collapse -
64-bit for above average computing & sufficient resources
by NoriNY / May 15, 2010 / 12:27 PM UTC

I have one running the 64 bit version and another 32 bit. 64 bit is better for applications that can take advantage of it and those are not basics applications such as Office. And only if your computer has at least 4GB RAM. For basic computing 32-bit is good enough and also runs faster when you only have like 3GB memory. If I were buying a new computer now, I would still go with 64 bit with at least 4GB RAM to be future proof even if I don't intend to run any graphics etc related applications.

Collapse -
Tried a Mac and I'll never go back
by psmall54 / May 15, 2010 / 8:28 PM UTC

After using Windows for almost 20 years I got tired of all the maintenance required to keep Windows running in top shape and I tried a MacBook. I'm on my third Mac now and will never go back to a PC. My Mac is faster, smoother, more intuitive and virus free and Snow Leopard does it's own maintenance in the background, so I don't have to..

Collapse -
Wow
by NoriNY / May 15, 2010 / 9:02 PM UTC

I thought this was about which Windows version you run, I'm surprised to see the convo turned into Windows vs Mac, lol. This forum must be pretty liberal.

Collapse -
just answering the question as asked
by psmall54 / May 17, 2010 / 6:29 PM UTC
In reply to: Wow

the last option given on the poll was "I don't do Windows" which obviously was my answer and I had to use the M word to explain why........

Collapse -
Aha
by NoriNY / May 17, 2010 / 6:52 PM UTC

That makes sense. ;D

Collapse -
I am running Windows 7
by kerri anderton / May 16, 2010 / 9:43 AM UTC

I installed Windows 7 using a 32 bit full installation disc.
The installation was not as simple as the advisor suggested, and certain drivers had to be updated, which took a bit of detective work.

I had to replace Norton Internet Security. vers 2009 would not work.
I had to replace my Second Life viewer, because the supplied version would not work.

I have a problem with my Wifi connection which is still ongoing.
The PC will not recognise the Netgear DG834PN router; and the Wifi signal from my pre-existing Thompson Router keep dissappearing.

Kerri

Collapse -
My Windows version
by manmur / May 16, 2010 / 5:11 PM UTC

I am using Vista SP 2 32-bit.

Manmur

Collapse -
Both!
by Razzl / May 17, 2010 / 5:28 AM UTC

You forgot the obvious survey choice of "both", as some of us own more than one computer.

I haven't noticed any significant difference between 32-bit or 64-bit on computers with dual-core processors. I think matching the OS with the right processor will produce satisfying results, though it's still annoying to be unable to use native 64-bit programs like IE8 because of incompatibilities with the active web content software...

Collapse -
Version
by jbeck918 / May 17, 2010 / 6:46 PM UTC

Windows 7 64 bit .. and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Dual boot with PcLinux.. KDE

Collapse -
Running dual-boot Vista with Linux Ubuntu 9.10....
by out_fisherman / May 17, 2010 / 9:36 PM UTC
In reply to: Version

Well, I'm in the 4th option from the first post. I have
Vista on my drive, but haven't used it in months. I find
Linux will do everything I need - without constantly paying
more and more, then at some point finding out "your version
of Windows-X is no longer supported, please upgrade".
No thanks. Having used Windows since 3.1, I think I've paid
my dues, but cannot do so any longer. SOME of us don't
have unlimited software budgets, and have grown tired of
the seemingly unlimited security holes in Windows products.

There is a time and place for everything - and Windows has
had its' run, in my opinion.

Collapse -
I don't do Windows (anymore)!!
by seahawk7 / May 22, 2010 / 7:51 AM UTC

Last time I used Windows it started with win3.0 towards winXP, however, I decided to try one of the Linux/Ubuntu flavors since 5.04, and I haven't looked back to windows!! :^)

I'm currently running Xubuntu 10.04 OS on a HP Pavilion 522n computer w/EVGA nVidia FX5200 PCI graphics card (disabled onboard video) for those who are wondering what I'm running on!? :^)

73's de Joe!

Collapse -
by maceman69-234090513641357 / May 22, 2010 / 2:54 PM UTC

I'm still using mostly XP 32 bits, sometimes Vista 64. Right now I'm thinking to buy a new laptop and it will have Win7 64 bits. I still have a working old desktop with Win 95. Not sure, but I think it's 16 bits Grin

Maceman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions