Tablets forum

Question

What Windows tablet would you recommend me to buy?

by gMima / November 25, 2012 5:08 AM PST

Hi! I need some advice about tablets. I want to buy one, however, I'm not sure which one...
I do NOT want anything from Apple or anything with Android. I want Windows. The price is not so important, but the tablet should have a long battery life and storage of a good size, it should also be lightweight, speedy and if possible, there should be a good attachable keyboard for it. It should also be comfortable to carry. It should be a good and durable tablet for browsing, writing, reading, making presentations and traveling.
I shall not use it for games at all. Sometimes for films perhaps. I was thinking about Surface or Asus Transformer, but I really know virtually nothing about tablets.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Windows tablet would you recommend me to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Windows tablet would you recommend me to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
None.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 5:43 AM PST

If I look at the current Windows 8 RT tablets, nothing attracts me. It's highly restricted as to what apps you can run and for now, all apps come through the Microsoft Store.

Durable? If I look for that I find myself back to the Panasonic ToughBook line. It now has a touch tablet.

I fear many are going to get a Surface only to discover every app they own does not run as well as why everyone I know thinks the RT in Windows 8 RT stands for restricted tablet.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re:
by gMima / November 25, 2012 6:05 AM PST

Thank you for your reply. Please tell me, what apps do I need for writing, reading, browsing online newspapers, reading emails and doing some basic Office stuff? Thanks.

Collapse -
I can't tell you that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

But Windows 8 RT tablets are currently the only ones that will have Office (read the reviews!) for essentially free. A browser is included but given it's a restricted system, tighter than Apple's you might not have many choices. And for now any choice is one that Microsoft allows.

Be sure you are aware of what you are getting into.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
How about Intel Atom-based Windows 8 tablet?
by meilinhsieh Intel staff / November 25, 2012 1:35 PM PST

Hi,

I recommend Intel Atom-based Windows 8 tablet. It gives you all features you can get from Windows RT, plus full desktop support. Windows 7 compatible software will install and run Intel Atom-based Windows 8 tablet. You can easily use it for productivity purpose. It also has great battery and performance. You should be able to find Intel Atom-based Windows 8 tablet in major brands (ASUS, ACER, HP, DELL ...).

meilinhsieh
#IntelTablets

Collapse -
So far these look like Netbooks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 1:51 PM PST

The ones I see so far look like Atom powered things with the same lackluster performance. You may find folk talking it up, but take them for a test drive. If you think a Netbook is fine, then these are OK.
Bob

Collapse -
Intel powered Windows 8 tablets are not netbook
by meilinhsieh Intel staff / November 27, 2012 4:04 AM PST

Just to be clear Intel powered Atom-based (CloverTrail) Windows 8 tablets are not netbook. They are generally referred as Windows 8 tablet, not Windows 8 RT.

Intel powered tablet has all the mobile features you can find from other tablets (Windows RT, Android, and iOS), plus a full desktop feature that you won't find in other tablets. Check out this link about the performance and battery comparison between Intel powered Atom-based tablet (Windows 8 tablet) and ARM-based tablet (Windows 8 RT tablet).

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-architecture-wars-part-1-clover-trail-vs-arm

meilinhsieh
#IntelTablets

Collapse -
Tried another one the other day. Junk. Stay away.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 4:15 AM PST

The performance I experienced is like a netbook with a SSD. It's something that folk that are honest about these things should tell folk to avoid if they are trying to keep performance levels on par with say your average i3 powered notebook or ultrabook.

You will encounter those that sell such and will "talk it up."
Bob

PS. Your hash tag is showing. It appears you are promoting a web site and a tag. This can result in your posts being removed.

Collapse -
You need to try the new Atom Z2760 powered Win 8 tablet
by meilinhsieh Intel staff / November 28, 2012 3:44 AM PST

Looks like you need to try the latest Intel Atom Z2760 powered Windows 8 tablet (so referred as Clover Trail).

The Intel Atom Z2760 is built specifically for tablet. Many manufacturers have just released these Windows 8 tablets to the market (this month). You can find them in major brands (Samsung, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer ...). They have great performance compared to previous Atom products. The link i posted previously shows the great performance of Intel Atom Z2760 powered Windows 8 tablets (compared to Windows RT):<div>
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-architecture-wars-part-1-clover-trail-vs-arm
<span>

<span>meilinhsieh
<span>#IntelTablets
</div>

Collapse -
Netbook performance. Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 3:51 AM PST
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Clovertrail-Atom-Z2760-Windows-8-Tablet-Performance-Preview/?page=2

This is your LAST WARNING about your tag information. Any post with those tags will be deleted as spam.

The new z2760 is not ground breaking and not comparable to say your average i3 laptop. These are consumer only things. The crowd I run with are developers and can't use such a thing for app creation, video editing and more.

Let's be honest here and stop pushing these low performance devices on the unsuspecting folk.
Bob
Collapse -
Answer
I would recommend waiting to see what
by orlbuckeye / December 5, 2012 11:33 PM PST

tablets are released in the future (after the Surface Pro). Right now the Windows 8 tablets are with the Atom processor. Once the Surface Pro is out the other vendors will probably release their Windows 8 tablets with the i5 or i3 processors.

As Bob says the RT will only run the windows store apps (Ipad only runs the Itunes apps and Android runs the Google Store (names Play store apps) (amazon does it a small Android store). I was looking at the same thing but decided to get a laptop with Windows 8 and an i3 processor that can run older apps and the new apps.

The RT does have some advantages over the Pro

Because of RT arm processor over (pro) intel
RT=
1. Longer battery life
2. More compact case
3. lighter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.