The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What Windows OS are you primarily using?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 6, 2013 9:47 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Windows OS are you primarily using?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Windows OS are you primarily using?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 7
by alkaymne / September 6, 2013 11:45 AM PDT

I am using windows 7 Home Premium for my Toshiba(notebook)laptop which I mainly use for scoring dressage on. Recently I was unable to log in on it ( I just kept getting a message "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded". I am the only account on my computer) and had to call in the repair man. It was the first time he had experienced the problem but managed to get it operating again. Most of the showmanager programme had disappeared so I had to re-insert it. If this happened while I was out scoring at a show it would be a major problem as I would not be able to get into the computer at all. Has anyone else had this problem. I will be carrying an old spare laptop with me in future in case it happens again. The processor is Intel(R)Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHZ

Collapse -
One my everyday desktop computer I use SolydK (Linux)
by itsdigger / September 6, 2013 11:57 AM PDT

with my laptop I have Windows 7 but never really use it much.

Collapse -
by itsdigger / September 6, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

On not One

Collapse -
I HATE Windows 8!!!!
by hagar2935 / September 6, 2013 1:24 PM PDT

I have three machines... One with XP, One with Windows 7 and one with Windows 8. The Windows 8 machine sits like a boat anchor and I rarely use it. The XP machine is my primary Desktop machine and the Windows 7 machine is my primary Laptop.

Collapse -
I too hate Windows 8
by markcausey / September 6, 2013 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I HATE Windows 8!!!!

My old computer with Windows XP bit the dust (bad motherboard) so I went out and bought an ASUS w/ Windows 8 from Best Buy. About 80% of the time, when I try to open a webpage I need to reload the page, sometimes 3 or 4 times before the page loads properly, and so far NOBODY CAN TELL ME WHY!!!!!! I TOO HATE WINDOWS 8!!!!

Collapse -
I too find Windows 8 stinks, but their is a Classic Shell
by tds7 / September 7, 2013 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I HATE Windows 8!!!!

I have 3 computers and a ASUS Transformer Tablet w/Android OS

Asus Desktop XP Pro I use every day
Old XP laptop XP Media Center
New HP Envy Laptop Windows 8

Right out of the box I install a program called "Classic Shell" that you can tweek your system to boot to the desktop, and change the menus and windows explorer look. WORKS Great. I've never even messed with Windows 8 Metro setup looks clunky to me. I like the look of Android Mobile OS better. Classic Shell will make your system look like a real desktop OS.

I use the XP Desktop everyday at home and the old XP HP laptop while I'm traveling. I do take the HP w/Windows 8 on long trips and vacation.

I still prefer XP over , Vista, Windows 7 & 8.

Collapse -
Windows lost it after XP
by GioFromLA / September 6, 2013 1:53 PM PDT

I am using XP on 2 desktops and a laptop, and Win 7 (Unfortunately) on a Desktop and a Laptop.

Windows 7 is aggravating and counter productive. Windows 8 is the minefield - "Don't go there". If it was so great they wouldn't have had to cobble together an huge update to make it barely usable. The statement that "Many users love it" is simply a PR joke. Win 7 will be the last of MS for me - I rushed out and got a Win 7 laptop to work with the Win 7 desktop I inherited (After many hours of trying, I STILL cannot get them to talk to each other through my network and have to use a special "wormhole cable" to transfer data).

Unless MS stops making changes just for the sake of making changes, and starts thinking about us, I am done with them. MACs and Linux are becoming very attractive.

Collapse -
Windows 7?
by BayushiZero / September 6, 2013 2:59 PM PDT

I don't understand your issues with 7.

7 is essentially an updated GOOD version of XP (I skipped Vista entirely, thank God!).

Sounds like you're experiencing PEBKAC errors, or there's something the matter with your network.

Collapse -
Prefer Windows 7
by tomatocity / September 6, 2013 2:47 PM PDT

I currently have four computers. 17" Laptop with W8, 15" Laptop W7, 11" Laptop W7, 24" Desktop Vista.

Windows 8 has too many hidden (hard to find) functions and requires too many clicks to do the same as Windows 7. I do not see any advantage to Windows 8 for a computer though it looks cool on Tablets. Just like a Droid Phone. Well I am an Apple iPhone user and don't need the look of Windows 8. My computing does not require seeing ALL the Apps or going through the Apps to get to the Desktop. A waste of time, IMO. How does a person simply find Startup or other functions? It should not be a mystery or have to do Google searches to find out how to get where you want. Computing should not be this difficult. Hopefully 8.1 has a button that hides Windows 8 and makes it function like like Windows 7.

I would like to see all the W8 team on stage answering any questions with reference to W8 and Windows 7. My question would simply be "Why?"

Collapse -
by Demaclies / September 6, 2013 8:32 PM PDT

I still use XP on all of my systems, because it works great, all the hacks and tweaks are well known and most are easily available on the web for the layperson to apply. I've applied most of them to my primary systems and they run like stink! Happy to say I don't have issues like the frustrated WIN7/8 users... no compatibility issues to deal with for every new program/update release, since they are basically coded for XP and up, and all/most compatibility bugs for XP are known and addressed, which makes programs run better. Why go with crap that is basically a dressed up bigfoot when you can use an OS that is robust, stable, and has already had the bugs worked out by the programming and user communities? XP is the Honda civic of OS... Win 7 is like a 2010 GM or Ford Escape (engine fires), and Win 8 is like any recent Toyota product (faulty steering)... a fairly close comparative!

Collapse -
Windows 7
by wpgwpg / September 7, 2013 1:04 AM PDT

Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop, Windows 7 Pro on two desktops, and a mixture of XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two test PCs. I was pleased to see the majority of folks here are on Windows 7. That's what I use the vast majority of the time. Windows 8 with Classic Start works fine, but I think MS is out of their minds trying to make a desktop and a smart phone work the same. That makes about as much sense as trying to make a toilet and a garbage disposal work the same.

Collapse -
Windows 8 works great for me
by bebev / September 7, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

I've used every Window OS since Windows 3.1 with DOS, plus I've used Linux as well. I currently have Vista on an old desktop and a laptop and worked with Windows 7 on my wife's laptop as well as my daughters desktop. Recently I put together an new desktop with Windows 8 and like it a lot. I'm 70 years old and don't have any issues with using Windows 8. Maybe it's because of my experience all self taught but I've learned that all operating systems have their differences which you must learn and adjust to. So that anyone thinking that Windows 8 should work just like their previous system is being their own worst enemy.
Adjust and adapt to Windows 8 and you will like it as much as I do.

Collapse -
Windows 8
by marty1326 / September 7, 2013 3:28 AM PDT

I'm 82 & have been a PC technician for 35 years. Have 2 desktops (1 self built) and 2 laptops, all with Win 8 and "Classic Shell" booting directly to the Win 7 style desktop screen. Best o/s ever. I do not understand the no-nothing comments & trashing in the threads from those who seem to not have tried the latest & greatest. Also, I have not seen any driver problems with some very old software & programs which work in Win XP.

Collapse -
I guess we know who pays your time, Lee
by TerryMZM / September 7, 2013 6:24 AM PDT

Based on your own poll numbers, W-7 has 4 times the number of users as W-8. Add in those of us who have no problems with XP, and there are better than 6 times as many users than those of W-8. A far cry from " a few people who dislike Windows 8, believe it or not there are equally as many, if not more people who have given Windows 8 a fair chance and come to love it". People are voting with their wallets and there is not much Micro$oft or you can do to sugar-coat the fact that W-8 is a LOSER.

Collapse -
Windows 7 on double boot with Ubuntu 12.04
by Be-Ge / September 7, 2013 7:27 PM PDT

Windows 7 currently is my main operating system but as you can see from the header I use it in double boot with Ubuntu 12.04. Also Win 7 will be my last Microsoft installation, there is no way that I will ever pay for a new Microsoft product or Windows OS anymore. I am on a rapid learning curve for Ubuntu and will phase out Microsoft products as I go along. The real clincher was when I found that all the games I already bought through Steam was fully supported to run in Ubuntu direct or through Wine.
The arrogance by Microsoft to assume that everyone around this world has perfect Internet connections and can work towards a cloud is enough for me to dump all their fancy stuff for something that works regardless if I am in the jungles of Africa, South America or PNG, where I do have to go for work.
Currently for me Windows is down for the count and when they reach 10 it will be victory by KO for Ubuntu.

Collapse -
We use Windows 7 primarily...
by sbill / September 8, 2013 2:20 PM PDT

...but also still own some computers with Windows XP. We DO NOT use Windows Vista, and won't touch anything with Windows 8 on it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.