The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What Windows operating system are you currently using?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 5, 2012 9:17 AM PDT
What Windows operating system are you currently using the most?

-- Windows 7
-- Windows Vista
-- Windows XP
-- Pre-XP
-- I don't, I use Mac OS.
-- I don't, I use Linux.
-- Other. (What is it?)

Vote here:
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Windows operating system are you currently using?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Windows operating system are you currently using?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Evaluating Windows 8
by PC-I / October 5, 2012 11:00 AM PDT

I am presently using Windows 8 Enterprise for a 90-day evaluation. So far all is functioning very well and quite fast on my IBM ThinkPad R60e (circa 2005).

Collapse -
by mariegarden / October 5, 2012 11:19 AM PDT

I love 7 - I know it sounds nuts but it really does seem to know me and which particular folders I use
for various emails, Programs etc. Have spare computer with Vista which is soooo slllooowww and cranky.
Have had 7 for 2.5 years and usually am getting bored by then but will not change until it falls to bits.

Collapse -
by proseandpoetry / October 5, 2012 11:52 AM PDT

I'm using XP because my software is compatible with it. I do not want to be forced to use a different e-mail program because Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 render it inoperable. Thunderbird might be nice, but it doesn't feel good to have to migrate to a different program because some guys in Redmond got an itch in their britches!

Collapse -
by mwooge / October 5, 2012 4:05 PM PDT
In reply to: USING WHICH OS?

> but it doesn't feel good to have to migrate to a different program because some guys in Redmond got an itch in their britches!

There might be something to that, but if they never changed anything we'd still be using the DOS prompt and booting from a floppy.

Although I think they could have come up with some kind of work-around for older programs, they can't stick to old technology and keep modern. Windows 7 is a new OS, not a reworked XP.

Collapse -
Oh... and DOS prompt...
by Kostagh / October 17, 2012 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Obsolesence

...would be a bad thing because?!? Why? As a wise man once put it (that would be Discovery Channel) - If progress is always good, why put it to the test?! Or is it now?!?

Collapse -
XP still working
by DOSpower / October 5, 2012 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: USING WHICH OS?

Having a stable working version of XP with all the software configured as I like it, knowing some of my applications are Windows 7 incompatible, is making me reluctant to migrate. I have a Windows 7 dual boot setup on a laptop and I know there is an XP mode in there but trying to run video editing software in XP mode on a single core and a trimmed down RAM doesn't work for me. XP is mature, works the way I like it and gives me the information I want in a format I know.

At the same time I am also exploring Linux and it is a less extreme leap from XP than Win 7. I am not knocking Windows 7, I just can't rationalise kicking XP out given it performs well on my hardware.

I still us a DOS bootable CD for certain tasks so I tend to stick with mature technology and when Microsoft stops support for XP it will be a sad day. I will run with it in some form or other for a while after that.

Collapse -
Windows 7 for now...
by tonyron227 / October 5, 2012 12:22 PM PDT

I had been using Windows 8 beta for 2 months. I recently went back to Windows 7 to prepare for the official release of the latest OS on the 26th. MS will offer upgrades for $39.99. I can't wait!!!!

Collapse -
Windows 8 RTM
by tmadrk56 / October 5, 2012 12:38 PM PDT

I have been using Windows 8 RTM for some time now and I like it better than Windows 7. Windows 8 boots faster and it has many improvements that I like. All my software that I used with Windows 7 works fine with Windows 8 and installing Windows 8 is much faster too.

Collapse -
Win vs Linux
by exsencon / October 6, 2012 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 8 RTM

I have been using Linux for over 4 years now and I am very happy with it. I am running different Linux distributions in a multiboot system and yes, I still have my old WinXP os which for me still is the best Win around. Windows millenium and Win vista being complete disasters. I don't have any experience with Win7 so I can't judge. But my old WINXP has all my software running as it should while win7 and the soon to come win8 surely won't. So why should I change? I am running Linux most of the time anyway. A happy Linux man.

Collapse -
XP does everything I need
by The ancient one / October 6, 2012 8:51 AM PDT

I am still using XP because it does everything that I need and more importantly I have become familiar enough with it that I feel very comfortable working with it. I briefly had Vista on a computer but very quickly went back to XP. I am not even sure if my 10 year old computer would handle Win7 and certainly not Win8. As the deadline of April 2014 approaches I am reluctantly going to build myself a new computer and will install Win7 since XP will no longer be supported. I hope some of my old software will work on Win7. Much of my software is more than 10 years old.

Collapse -
by Kostagh / October 7, 2012 6:41 PM PDT

Windows XP works excelent for me. I don't care about the end of support by MS. I've made a complete backup of a clean install with all updates, that I can use to restore in case of a HD failure even after MS ends its support and I'd have no place to download updates. It is the last MSOS that still has a DOS prompt and furthermore it works great on my Sempron/3000 and on my Pentium IV. I also have a Core2Duo with 8GB RAM that I run Win7 on. Still, I'm more comfortable with XP. I know all its ins and outs, so... why bother to change?! That would also mean changing the computer. I don't feel like it and have a lot of better things to do with my money (Yes, go figure!). At work too, although I've got an AMD Phenom X4 with 8 GB's of RAM, Win7 and Win8 ready, I still run XP. Why? Because we have it and paid for it and it's still running smooth! Last, but not least... Win7 isn't exactly free either.

Collapse -
by DerekRose81 / October 16, 2012 8:13 PM PDT

I'm using Windows 7

Collapse -
Window Xp is Best for me
by JSofty / November 27, 2012 3:48 PM PST

Most of the pc games are supported in Windows XP <3

Collapse -
What Windows operating system are you currently using?
by Carlton102 / May 17, 2013 6:00 AM PDT

I have Win7 on my desktop, Win8 on my laptop, and Mac OS X on my work computer.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by web360top / May 19, 2013 3:13 PM PDT

I'm now using Windows 7

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.