The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What will your next digital photo-related purchase be?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / March 21, 2006 7:50 AM PST

What will your next digital photography-related purchase be (and which one)?

Camera
Printer
Scanner
Lens (what kind?)
Bag/carrying case
Memory card
Software
Other (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What will your next digital photo-related purchase be?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What will your next digital photo-related purchase be?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Full up on still photo supplies so hope to videocam
by spokane / March 21, 2006 8:45 AM PST

Target - The Panasonic PV-GS400 if it ever gets here. It seems like most of the obvious upgrades from the most popular 250 have been addressed (except for low light capibilities) but since I mainly take travel landscapes that's not a major deal, I hope.

Collapse -
Digital SLR Camera
by nkomplin / March 21, 2006 8:55 AM PST

Nikon D-50 with lens kit

Collapse -
Digital SLR Camera
by winged foot / March 21, 2006 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: Digital SLR Camera

We'll be getting a digi slr camera once we figure out which one is the best for our needs. Any ideas on the best bang for the buck?

Collapse -
D2X
by Clifford / March 21, 2006 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Digital SLR Camera

I've been a Nikon user for several decades. So when I saw this, it was a no brainer, especially for the work I do.

Collapse -
A product that's not quite in existence...yet!
by Joe Campbell / March 21, 2006 8:58 AM PST

My next photographic/video purchase will be a combination: a high-quality digital video camera recording direct to dvd; a high-quality digital still with at least 6-9 megapixels.

It would be the best of both digital video and digital still worlds - with instant video playback. I predict such an animal will be available within the next 12 months.

Or am I dreaming?

Collapse -
I agree.
by Santa2ya / March 21, 2006 10:43 AM PST

If such a beast were to appear then retail would be in the $1500+ range. But worth every penny.

Collapse -
Multifunction Cameras
by Intense_Chaotic_Madness / March 21, 2006 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: I agree.

Check out Sanyo's Xacti HD-1. It's my next purchase. Retails at $799, but it's being listed on retail sites for less than $600.

It claims to do both stills & video very well. I'm in!

Collapse -
The Sanyo seems wonderful
by elfangor / March 21, 2006 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Multifunction Cameras

My only problem with it is that it requires a memory card, which really limits its storage capability, especially if you want to take advantage of its high definition recording. It would be perfect if it had a built in harddisk.

Collapse -
Memory card
by wsmontgomery / March 21, 2006 9:03 AM PST

Probably an 8gig seagate CF drive for my Canon 1D Mark II

Collapse -
my next purchase..
by bigmike363 / March 22, 2006 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: Memory card

Will probly be an Olympus 512mb xd card for my OlymPus SP-500UZ,to use as a second card for photo trips when my 1gig card get full and I can't get to my computer to download and empty it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) A digital zoom camera so I can take pictures of birds
by villandra / March 21, 2006 9:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Your requirements may be similar to mine...
by dddiam / March 21, 2006 11:15 AM PST

Birds are at a distance, and tiny, so you need a long zoom. High resolution is helpful so that you can crop the image. If you plan to hand-hold your camera, you will need image stabilization.

Check my posting, farther down the list, entitled "12X zoom camera with stabilization". I list my requirements and some candidate cameras.

Collapse -
A high-end solution
by dddiam / March 21, 2006 7:57 PM PST

Villandra,

My previous suggestions for your bird-viewing camera assumed that, like most of us, you have a limited budget. It also assumed that you want a camera that is fairly portable.

However, if you are independently wealthy, you can do what some of the more serious birders do. I see them purched on boulders at the top of Hawk Mountain, with their tripod-mounted 1,000 mm lens. The SLR mounted at the rear of the lens is so small in comparison to the lens size, that one hardly notices it.

- David

Collapse -
OTHER, Since I just spent a small fortune
by rtsphoto / March 21, 2006 9:09 AM PST

Buying my wishlist off of B&H recently, the only thing I really need but can't afford right now is a portable hard drive like the Wolverine or similar. Nothing like running out of CF space and then having to pick through and delete pictures. After I have some money again I have my eye on a 80-400mm lens. It never stops does it? Software wise I absolutly love Adobe's Lightroom. (beta) I guess when that comes out in version 1
I will be buying that as well. So I guess the race is on for my hard earned dollar.

Collapse -
Nikon D200 and Casio EX-Z850
by jn68 / March 21, 2006 9:22 AM PST

The D200 because it smashed the line between professional and consumer DSLRs.

The Casio EX-Z850 because it will take great quality photos and I can carry it around in my pocket!

Collapse -
Digital not always the way to go
by tbltx / March 21, 2006 9:23 AM PST

I have a Minolta Maxxum 5 with 2 lenses. Lightest SLR on the market. I get excellent pictures all the time.
There is no way I would give that up for a digital camera unless it was a very high end model.

Collapse -
Sweet
by RHCaldwell / March 21, 2006 9:58 AM PST

I'm still grooving on my 21 year old Ricoh SLR. I shoot mainly with sweet manual focus Pentax 24mm.

Collapse -
Light non-digital SLR...
by nitroxpro / March 21, 2006 5:36 PM PST

Other than weight, what makes the Minolta Maxxum 5 camera a good buy?

Collapse -
Best of Both Worlds
by PunkinCreations / March 22, 2006 9:10 PM PST

I, too, have a Minolta SLR camera. I have a Maxxum 600si with 4 different lenses and accessories for those lenses. My next purchase will be the Minolta Maxxum 7D body (digital) which will enable me to use all my lenses and accessories. Then I will have the best of both worlds! Happy

Collapse -
D200
by akersc / March 21, 2006 9:25 AM PST

My old Olympus E-10 weaned me of film photography. My current Nikon D70 allows me to take photos that my friends and coworkers go out of their way to view. The D200 is so close to a pro level body that my technique will be the weak point, not the camera.

Collapse -
re: D200
by Trailhop / March 21, 2006 6:36 PM PST
In reply to: D200

I, too, have a Nikon D70 and agree that the picture quality is great. I'm a photography student and can take some awesome shots with the D70. My boss has asked me to do her daughters wedding pictures with it, she was so impressed with the engagement photos I did earlier. The D70 is not pro, and is usually not a wedding photographers camera of choice. I think they usually use medium format. But she's the boss. We always want to get something better, don't we? So I'm eyeballing the Nikon D200. I'm not planning on being a wedding photographer, anyhow. But I have to save some more pennies before I can make that purchase. By then, there might be something better out there that I want. And probably more expensive. But I will go with Nikon.

Collapse -
Next Purchase
by ine2201 / March 21, 2006 9:39 AM PST

Canon 30D

Collapse -
not just for digital photos

but definitely in part...

I am dreaming of a new decent sized Wacom tablet...

Collapse -
What will your next digital photo-related purchase be?
by Sotoraku / March 21, 2006 9:41 AM PST

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT

Collapse -
Wide angle lens
by Arthur Sterling / March 21, 2006 9:42 AM PST

My next purchase will be the wide angle lens attachment for my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30.

Collapse -
Sony DSC W-100
by shadowone / March 21, 2006 9:58 AM PST

If it performs as well as the published stats,this will be my next camera.

Collapse -
yep, me too...Mid April release date?
by justin300 / March 21, 2006 4:46 PM PST
In reply to: Sony DSC W-100

I was looking at that Sony DSC N1 with the 3'' touch screen LCD, but decided to hold off for the new DSC W100 by Sony, both these cameras have lots of auto and manual controls and either one I think will do quite nicely, I still have a pocket Sony and a F707 that I still use, but want some new higher mega-pixel fun....and ultra compact too

Collapse -
Next camera
by loreyjr / March 21, 2006 10:03 AM PST

Nikon D200 (I own a D70 at this time). Also, faster zoom lenses- all of the ones from Nikon!

Collapse -
Graduated Neutral Density Filter
by rogernoel / March 21, 2006 10:07 AM PST

I have a DSLR, Canon 300D with five lenses. I also have polarizing and UV filters for those lenses. My next buy is going to be a Grad ND Filter. I have had too many washed out or over exposed waterfalls and sunsets. I believe a soft 2 stop filter will help remedy this.

Collapse -
Have good camera, need better photoshop
by jcallas / March 21, 2006 10:13 AM PST

Last year, I bought a Pentax ist ds digital SLR. The pros say it shoots best in Raw, but my old Photoshop Elements is difficult to comprehend when it comes to Raw; hence, my next digital photo-related purchase will be a program that simplifies this process for me.

Before I can upgrade my Photoshop Elements, I must first upgrade the operating system on my Macintosh computer. Ahh! The joy of technology.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.