Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What will you do when support for XP is discountinued?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 14, 2013 10:32 AM PDT
If you are using Windows XP, what will you do when support is discontinued?

-- I will continue using it until my system dies.
-- I will use it as long as my security software supports XP.
-- I will move on to a newer version of Windows.
-- I will finally get a Mac.
-- Other (What will you do?)

Vote on the poll here:

and discuss below!

Note: This post was edited by its original author on 06/14/2013 at 5:38 PM PT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What will you do when support for XP is discountinued?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What will you do when support for XP is discountinued?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Move on to a newer version
by wpgwpg / June 14, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

I already have for the most part. I just have XP on my test PC and XP Mode on 2 Windows 7 Pro desktops. I only keep XP around for a few students and friends who're still on it. The county I live in is still on XP for most of their computers, but they're starting to migrate to Windows 7. Anybody who doesn't upgrade is taking an ever increasing risk. It's time to move on, not necessarily to Windows 8, I'm sticking with Windows 7 at least for the next 2-3 years. Then I'll see what Windows 9 or 10 will look like. Grin

Collapse -
It would be great but
by DJEVEREST / June 17, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

The upgrade to windows 8 in the microsoft store is 119.99 USD, and to windows 7 home is also 119.99. I think better prices can be found in retail stores, but is it a good idea to keep paying for an OS that will be discontinued in a couple of years or so? and not to mention the bugs and securty holes it might encounter in the future. Some people will find those prices are fine, but remember that one day you'll have to pay AGAIN, because Micro$oft will say so.

Another thing: Hardware one day will be outdated too and you won't have the ability to use the PC you are using right now (not with windows). I really understand this is a industry, but i'd like a fairly one, with better prices and not so much changes in a relativelly short time.

Right now, i'm changing to LINUX, and will use microsoft only with new PC's (if i like it and decide to keep it).

Collapse -
My back-up desktop running XP died recently
by msecour / June 14, 2013 11:16 AM PDT

I was happy to run XP on my second desktop and Windows 7 on the newer one. XP died recently. R.I.P.

Collapse -
Jesus Christ! I am sticking with what I have.
by fujitsulover / June 14, 2013 11:59 AM PDT

I have an even older system of 2000 Professional, and I will use my mom gift of xp to me as a backup. My parents stuff are so old that the system cannot handle vista well. Even xp bogs down on the old desktop. So 2000 is just right with only 2-3 programs installed. My family did loan me a new one but I cannot afford it.

Collapse -
I sold my Xp today.
by fujitsulover / June 15, 2013 6:31 AM PDT

Im on 2000 pro now. still have vista and vista ultimte if need the backups

Collapse -
Netbook XP
by Jgor01 / June 14, 2013 12:01 PM PDT

I bought an Acer netbook when they came out. It's a neat little machine I keep for specific uses, plus it's convenient for travel. Unfortunately it isn't upgradable to a later version of Windows. Microsoft said they'd continue support for that netbook platform a bit longer. Even if they don't, it can still function offline and utilize older peripherals I use for work.

Collapse -
A very simple and free solution
by pachj / June 14, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

I have three XP machines, and will migrate them to Linux Ubuntu at no charge. It is a free O/S available by download. Works quite well too, with a very minor learning curve.

Collapse -
Me Too
by lakefever / June 14, 2013 1:09 PM PDT

I have to agree that looking into Linux is starting to make more sense all the time. Use Windows Vista, 7 or 8 and you will know why.

Collapse -
Ubuntu? Me too
by David Walland / June 14, 2013 5:47 PM PDT

I've already started learning Ubuntu/Xbuntu by loading it onto an ancient laptop (where it creaks and groans a bit but works - I make coffee while waiting between screens Happy I'm in my mid-60s so learning new is harder work than expected but I intend to persevere. Once I've got that working for me, put it on the XP machine and convinced "mission control" (who's now got a MacBook Pro and will find Ubuntu much closer to OSX than Windows) I'm going to replace Vista on the other laptop with Ubuntu 64 bit and finally get some use out of both cores.

With Microsoft both coming out with Win 8 and closing down XP, I get a strong feeling that they're shooting themselves in the foot. Vista convinced "mission control" to go to a Mac, 8 is simply a non-starter for me, a real old-timer who first started with computers in 1964 and used and programmed them right up to the early 1990s before becoming a full-time user with Win 3.11 (I still have a copy!!!).
Work (a University) long ago decided not to go the Win 8 route, they've just (last week!) created a team to specifically address the whole area of how the University uses IT and I have already heard the word Ubuntu on the lips of one of this group - I wonder how long they'll stay with Microsoft?

Collapse -
Ubuntu and XP either one will work
by sumsan / June 14, 2013 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Ubuntu? Me too

I have used Ubuntu and will probably use it more in the future.

I also tried WIN 7 which seems to be just another modern Windows product that appeals to folks that do either a lot of Video streaming, other online activities, or tend to purchase the latest peripherals .

Using a MAC for online work, I have XP installed on a VM for all video editing and math modeling using XP compatible versions of Mathematica and Derive. Works fine.

Collapse -
A very simple and free solution - New!
by exsencon / June 15, 2013 1:18 AM PDT

Right you are! I switched to Linux about 5 years ago with a multiboot system between Linux and WinXp and I don't regret it one moment. A minor learning curve as you say. I still use Winxp for some software that's still running only under Win. On my Desktop I have several Linux Os's running with WinXp, all connected together, on my Laptop I have a dualboot Ubuntu-WinXP. Very happy with that. I really don't care wether XP is supported by MS or not.

Collapse -
I Dont Know and Dont Care
by lakefever / June 14, 2013 1:05 PM PDT

When it quits doing what I need it to do, I will move on. If I have to worry about it, I don't need it. If I cant fix it, it's trash.

Collapse -
Move ahead!
by pdnRPH / June 14, 2013 1:08 PM PDT

I moved ahead a year ago... to Win7. Move all my documents and data to the new computer... and did it. We have to. Windows 7 is sooo much better. And, now we have Windows 8. Even better. We will look to the "fix" in Win 8.1 and be even be better yet!
No MAC. Not in the picture. The world is running on Windows. XP was best. Then Windows 7. And now Win8. All good. More better as it goes.

Collapse -
Move to newer version
by VVCHM / June 14, 2013 1:16 PM PDT

I will reluctantly move on. In my business, I can't continue to run an unsupported version, since it would be considered a HIPPA violation. So I'll have to replace my desktops next year, and my server the year after since it is running Windows Server 2003.

Collapse -
What's an XP?
by pllam / June 14, 2013 1:31 PM PDT

Honestly, there is no reason to be using XP except for an unfounded resistance to 8. I've been using it on non touch machines since the first developer preview and honestly it is much less troublesome than XP. I just lost a hard drive on a laptop and using 8's recovery it took no time at all to get back up and running. Are those recovery options different, yes, do you need to learn something new? Yes, and there is the problem, people don't want to learn how things work, we got lazy.

I run my office supplies PC next to my 8 and I sometimes forget which is which. Just get over it and move on to 8.

Collapse -
xp support
by tedtks / June 14, 2013 1:36 PM PDT

to be honest - I thought they dropped it last year !
so my answer to the poll is still valid - till my system dies ! hahaha

Collapse -
Since M$ is discontinuing support of XP...
by Wulfhound / June 14, 2013 2:54 PM PDT

Will they still require product authentication when installed on a system... post support?
I already know the answer to that one. They will keep a strong grasp around the neck of users even though they will care less about it in any other capacity.

Collapse -
by tjwilson1113 / June 18, 2013 3:30 PM PDT

XP is the first software that worked well, remember Windows ME? Buggier than sh*t! Then comes Vista, ranks right down there with ME.

I have no desire to change to Windows 7 (used it, hated it), or Windows 8 (which was not designed for a desktop computer. I say support XP until it doesn't work any more, but I don't like being forced to change anything!

Collapse -
MS crud
by tedtks / June 19, 2013 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I HATE MICROSFT!

I cast my vote with you Happy

Collapse -
my worry isn't support
by jonah jones / June 14, 2013 4:37 PM PDT

it's "will my next machine run XP?"
i'm still running 'XP out of the box', no updates no fixes
(apart from streaming SP2 & SP3) and just surf with extreme caution
anything with a learning curve more than 3 degrees is too much for me these days

Collapse -
Win7 FTW!
by ecmorgan69 / June 14, 2013 10:51 PM PDT

Actually, in almost every way, I've already moved on to Win7/Win8. The only time I use WinXP is on my UBCD4Win DVD. As long as the subsequent OSes keep allowing me to burn UBcD4Win discs, I'll keep using it Happy

Collapse -
Already moved on.
by shydawg1 / June 15, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

I have kept pace with the Windows OS trend. I have used every OS since Windows 95 except ME. I am now considering Windows 8. Since I build my own computers it's fairly easy to keep up to date. I love tech. Model T's are nice if you restore and take care of them but they can't hold a candle to my Trans Am. Everything becomes out dated, trust me.

Collapse -
XP versus ?
by Ron Geiken / June 15, 2013 1:05 AM PDT

I gave up XP years ago and have been using W7 for the past 3 years. If you buy one with an i7 processor and 8 gig of ram, you will be well satisfied. If you want to do something simple, consider i OS or Android. For a lot of people they are a good choice. I can speak for Android since I have had a Nexus 10 for over 6 months. You can go to app store and get lots of useful apps to fill it. Don't get me wrong, I love my W7 computers, but the Androids are fun for me, and could be the choice for many people who have limited range of things that they do. The portability is a great feature. Every time you turn them on, they connect to the Google Play store and update all the apps and notify you if you have new e-mail. You can move the icons around to suit your taste. Unfortunately many manufacturers don't produce drivers for their printers, and it can be had to print to a printer. I have a HP printer and they have produced an app where I can print to the computer that I use for my W7 computers. I have given away both Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 inch and Samsung Note Tablets and for any new Tablets will get a Samsung for myself. Setting a new tablet up can be very easy, and you can connect the Android ones up to your computer if you want to move pictures, music and data files to the Tablet. Samsung and some other Android manufactures provide a micro SD slot so you can connect up any size micro SD memory to it up to 64 Gig. This can be a real convenience to a lot of people. The Android apps are pretty good now and are getting better every day. I am sure that an Android Tablet may be the most satisfying solution to a lot of people.

Collapse -
Already done
by tosim00 / June 15, 2013 1:08 AM PDT

Even though I still have XP Pro, and Win7, on some of my machines, about 10 months ago I shifted to Linux Mint 13-MATE. I 've been using it 99% of the time, and must say I feel it is great. Totally free, and well over 50,000 free programs to download.

Collapse -
Big problem isn't end user support, it's developer support
by EdZachary / June 15, 2013 1:25 AM PDT

Everyone seems focused on end user support here. The bigger problem is that when MSFT ends support for Win98, they'll end developer support. That will make it much more difficult for application developers to keep applications up to date and add new features.

Also, there is a real risk that MSFT might make changes to networking protocols, like the shift to SMB2 that came with Vista and Win 7. That could potentially cause problems keeping your Win98 systems on your network after upgrading your servers.

Collapse -
Been there, Done that, Moved up to the latest version
by Bob_Meyer / June 15, 2013 2:01 AM PDT

Too many things drop off the edge when a Windows version goes out of support. Every software developer in the world will (or already has) stopped XP compatibility work. Any software you need to upgrade to will force an upgrade to a newer Windows version. Any new feature you want to take advantage of will force an upgrade to a newer Windows version.

You just can't stop time.

Collapse -
Keep using on old computer until it dies
by asafult / June 15, 2013 11:41 AM PDT

I run 64 bit Windows 8 on my main computer which has fully up-to-date peripherals, and XP SP3 on a 15 year old computer that predates XP, which I use to run some legacy software that won't run on 64 bit W8. W8 also doesn't have full featured drivers for some of its old peripherals . I would recommend upgrading your newer computers to W8 or W9 (if available) when you have to (to avoid the extra learning curve of an intermediate upgrade to W7), and continue using XP if you are happy with it until it becomes unusable.
I doubt that the hackers will have much interest in developing new malware for XP after most of its user base has migrated to W8 (or W7), so absence of MS security updates should not be too much of a risk when they run out in 18 months or so.

Collapse -
till it dies
by tedtks / July 3, 2013 8:09 AM PDT

I stopped doing the ms updates years ago - seemed like everytime I did one everything ran a bit slower
and it was just bloatware !

Collapse -
Keep XP for legacy use of old hard- and software
by neher5 / June 16, 2013 8:17 PM PDT

Currently keep an XP machine connected to a scanner which comes in handy on occasion (seldom need to scan any more), and for occasional access to data used in legacy software which can't be made to run on Windows 7.

Neither needs connectivity beyond the stand-alone machine, so for these limited purposes it will suffice.

What I'll do when the machine develops a fault? We'll see when the time comes whether the scanner and access to the data files of the old software were still needed then; there are back-ups which can be read in (and printed from) other software, while most of my scanning needs can almost as well be done with a digital camera.

Collapse -
Keep using Windows XP!
by samurle / August 24, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

Windows XP is great for running legacy software. As long as you don't need to connect your machine to the Internet,
then what's the problem? Don't use it for web browsing or Internet access.

When XP support is discontinued, will we still be able to download old updates?
If not, is there some kind of DVD we can create that will store all of Windows old updates?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.