Desktops forum

Resolved Question

What version of USB do I have?

by cdharris / July 17, 2012 3:39 AM PDT

I just read the review of USB 3.0 drives and want to buy a new drive for backups on my system. My Window 7 PC is about a year old but I do not know if it has USB 1,2,or 3. Is there a way in My Computer or the Device Manager to tell what version of USB I have? Thanks.

cdharris has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What version of USB do I have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What version of USB do I have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by cdharris

Collapse -
I suggest...
by Willy / July 17, 2012 11:51 AM PDT

If your PC is 1yr. old it will have USB2.0 that usually allows USB1.1 compatibility. The issue of USB3.0 is going to be stated as that's a selling point for any new PC. However, you didn't state what your PC maker was or model#. Most OEM makers provide the specs of what they contain, so review them or check manual. USB3.0 is more readily ID'ed by the "blue color" of ports or a different color scheme, though that may not apply to every brand out there.

pictures:

http://www.google.com/search?aq=1&oq=USB+3.0+pictures&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=usb+3.0+port+pictures

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Ports are not blue
by cdharris / July 17, 2012 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: I suggest...

My PC does not have a brand. Our network "guy" built it and a couple of others for us last year. He moved and I can't get in touch with him anymore. There is no manual. I'm sure he used parts which were easy to find and cheap, but it is fast works great. The ports, both front and back, are white, not blue, so I assume they are not USB 3.0. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
What you have
by Willy / July 18, 2012 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Ports are not blue

Then you need to refer to what information can be gotten using some s/w analyzer, like PCWizard 2012. Irt will report what you really have and then use that to google for your needs. The report should state what mtrbd. you have, like Brand XYZ-123-a, google away for the manual and thus review what your specs are. The information is more than anything else, real hard facts about your build. -----Willy Wink

Collapse -
Thanks very much.
by cdharris / July 18, 2012 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: What you have

Thanks very much

Collapse -
Answer
Check USB in Device Manager
by KenHusveg / July 17, 2012 3:56 AM PDT

In Device Manager expand USB's. Look after the Family part for USB or USB2, etc.

Collapse -
What version of USB?
by cdharris / July 17, 2012 6:17 AM PDT

Under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" it lists 17 items, "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" (twice), "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" (four times), "USB Root Hub" (8 times), etc. Each item refers only to "USB", not USB2 or USB3. Does this mean I have only USB1 and not USB 2 or 3? Thanks.

Collapse -
Read link!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2012 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: What version of USB?
Collapse -
You need Enhanced USB
by KenHusveg / July 17, 2012 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: What version of USB?
Collapse -
(NT) I see "Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2012 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: You need Enhanced USB
Collapse -
I see you posted...
by KenHusveg / July 17, 2012 6:52 AM PDT

while I was typing. Confused

Collapse -
"Standard Enhanced" = USB 2.0?
by cdharris / July 17, 2012 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: You need Enhanced USB

If my Device Manager lists "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" twice, does that mean I have 2 USB 2.0 ports? Does "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" mean USB 1.0? What would it say if I had USB 3.0? I have 6 total USB ports, 4 in the back and 2 in the front. Is there anyway to tell which are the USB 2.0 ports? Thanks very much.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.