Phones

General discussion

what version of bluetooth does my phone have?

by Ck87.JF / May 12, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

Hello, I have a Verizon Wireless LG VX5300 which has bluetooth that I use to connect to the computer for pictures, ringtones, and my contacts. The dongle I'm using is one from the original Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth, version 1, I guess.

Picture downloads and ringtone uploads are so slow, that I'm thinking of getting a new dongle, but I figure if my phone doesn't have the new version of bluetooth, it'd be a waste of money & time.

So ... how can I find out what my version is?

When I go to menu -> settings -> phone info -> SW version, it says:

Bluetooth
Q302.03.02

among a bunch of other version types and versions.

:SUMMARY:
*Is the above information (the Q number) enough information to determine bluetooth version?
*If not, how can I find out what version I have?
*Any other suggestions?

One final note: This is a semi-old version of the phone ... I believe I got it around Christmas this past year. The most updated version of this phone has bluetooth locked, which I found out after my first phone of this type drowned at the water park (oops) and I got a new one - so I swapped my new one with an old one of a family member's to get my bluetooth capability back.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what version of bluetooth does my phone have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what version of bluetooth does my phone have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: bluetooth locked
by Ck87.JF / May 12, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

What I meant by that, just to make sure there's no confusion, is that it's locked for communication with computers.

Collapse -
I know Verizon has
by PudgyOne / May 12, 2008 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: re: bluetooth locked

a tendency to block any way it can for music to be transferred. They want you to pay for it. I think it has to do with the copyrights. I can send pictures to a friend but when it comes to even bluetoothing a ringtone, it fails. I'm sure the phone you have is locked because of this.

Rick

Collapse -
re: rick
by Ck87.JF / May 12, 2008 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: I know Verizon has

no, see, I have an older version of a phone that wasn't locked, so I can transfer ringtones and camera pictures, but it is slow, using the old bluetooth dongle.

My question is, what version bluetooth does my phone have?

If it's the new, faster one, then I could see a benefit of getting a new dongle, but if it's the older one, then even if I get a faster dongle, I imagine it'll still be slow.

Collapse -
From what I just researched
by PudgyOne / May 12, 2008 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: re: rick

your phone with version Q302.03.02 is version 2. Other people are having trouble pairing with version 2 and version is no longer available from LG.

Read this post and decide what you want to do next. I would want a version that I can use my Bluetooth with. The posts were from 2006 but I would exchange the phone for another one, like the other person did.

I really can't give you too much advice about Verizon. I have a Razr V3xx and ATT. My phone is locked at the present time and I'm satisfied with it. I was told by other members that if a customer that has ATT wants the phone unlocked, they can make a call to ATT and do so.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.