The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What type of device do you use as a portable MP3 player?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / July 11, 2005 3:28 AM PDT

What type of device do you currently use as a portable MP3 player?

Flash-based player (which one?)
Hard drive-based player (which one?)
PDA (which one?)
Cell phone (which one?)
Laptop (which one?)
I don't need no stinkin' music (why not?)
I plan on getting one soon (which one? how soon?)
I don't plan to get one (why not?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What type of device do you use as a portable MP3 player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What type of device do you use as a portable MP3 player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I dont have one.
by shtroumf / July 12, 2005 7:55 AM PDT

I have radio!

Collapse -
Don't have one...
by smartipants / July 12, 2005 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I dont have one.

That's exactly what I was going to say... my radio works just fine! :o)

Collapse -
My Creative MuVo TX FM 256 MB does radio, too
by littlefaith / July 12, 2005 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't have one...

My Muvo carries my music, can be used as a flash drive, tunes in FM radio, and can record as well. I thought, what am I gonna need any of this for? Well, it turns out that it's one of the best things I lug around in my purse for entertaining my 4-year-old son. The MuVo is quite small, it's just that I had to get a headphone built for kids, and that's big. Not only does he listen to my music, he loves to sing and record his own songs! And I can finish listening to that interesting NPR program while I'm washing him up without lugging that big stereo around. (He's thankful that he doesn't have to listen to the talking, too.)

Collapse -
I love mine 2
by Speakerboxx / July 12, 2005 1:56 PM PDT

There pretty awsome, u can also record from the radio onto the MP3 Player itself.

Collapse -
I also listen to the radio
by barlydd / July 12, 2005 7:03 PM PDT

I don't mind music - light opera, folk music and suchlike but rarely listen. If my husband is listening to a concert on televison I usually half listen while I read. However, if I'm alone, I either listen with full attention or turn it off.

I mostly listen to speech, not music. The BBC (I live in England) has a great variety of intelligent comedy and quiz shows. I also borrow from the public library a large number of unabridged books, recorded on cassettes, to listen to while in the car, or cooking, sewing etc. I don't actually have a CD or DVD player, except on my PC.

If someone begins recording books in a format to play on an I-Pod, I would probably buy one; otherwise not.

Collapse -
I wouldn't have bought one
by tbrown66 / July 12, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

but my company gave away 512mb Ipod Shuffles to everyone as a performance bonus. I don't listen to much music, but its great for listening to audiobooks - I can rip a whole book to it and listen to hours of books during my commute that I wouldn't otherwise have time to read.

And recharging the Shuffle's battery from any USB port makes it even simpler.

Collapse -
Why be isolated?
by selimap / July 13, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

At home, I have all the music and radio I need, and via Internet a huge choice.

At work I don't like people wearing head phones, it craetes a barrier to inter-human communication.

In the streets and in walking the country I like to hear the real world sounds around me. Maybe because I am a bird watcher, and also a 'bird listener' i.e. I will register the birds around me almost subconsciously but react to something unusual.

We are all becoming so 'individual', so 'atomised' and self-focused - these personal players just add to that. (Of couurse, same applies to any Walkman tyope device).

If I took a lot of train journeys or long plane trips, then maybe... but I usually find people to talk to.

I know I'm in a minority, and perhps I'm getting too old for more gadgets (54).

Collapse -
True, but hard to follow
by sh1mpulse / July 13, 2005 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Why be isolated?

Yes i couldn't agree more. Although i love the gagets i own, it always worries me when i put my earphoens on that i'm locking myself out from the world.
However the problem here is that it's the way things work these days. I'd love to get on a train and start a conversation with the stranger i'm sitting next to, but you can't do it anymore because people start thinking if you're weird or a stalker. So you can't find other things to do, except read a book or listen to music.

Collapse -
I use WinAmp
by tiffanywalk / November 25, 2005 12:35 AM PST

I use WinAmp at home it's awesome...I don't use a portable MP3 player simply because people need to be aware of their surroundings when out in the public not tuned out with long cell phone conversations and earplugs.....

Collapse -
iAudio
by michaeljohnson / July 12, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

FANTASTIC MP3 player w/ FM radio (I have the 512 MB version, which cost ~$129 incl overnight shipping). Navigation is a little mysterious but doable. Everything else about it is max.

Collapse -
iAudio is a company not a model
by afruff23 / March 7, 2006 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: iAudio

I have the iAudio X5L 20 GB HDD-based. It absolutely owns the competition.

Collapse -
Creative Zen Micro her
by wheelzup / July 12, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

I just got a 4GB Creative Zen Micro and so far it does what I need it to do. It says it will hold 2000 songs but I'm not sure I know that many. It does sound great when I'm out pushing my wheelchair through the park. The ear-buds could fit better but I plan on getting a regular pair of headphones to fix that. There're still some things I haven't tried with it but I'll get to them in time.

Collapse -
Creative ZEN, you get so much more.
by ecamacho / July 12, 2005 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Creative Zen Micro her

I took an unbiased look at portable digital player before I made my decision, and though I am not fond of the Mac products I looked into an I-Pod mostly for the hype. I would say as a stand alone player you get more gig for the buck with creative over I-pod and I-river. Additionally, you also get a voice recorder. All of the players have slim designs and they all look cool and fit in your shirt pocket for the mini's and micro's. Even though you get more with your money with creative, if you do not need voice recording, and money is not an issue... I-Pods do have the best accessories such as the Bose sound dock, and direct plug-ins for car stereos. I have been trying to find comparable accessories for my Zen Micro, with no avail. The built-in voice recording and gigage per dollar is what sold me.

Collapse -
iPods do voice recording!
by audiopainter / July 12, 2005 10:47 AM PDT

a little known fact...Apple builds voice recording support right into the iPod and iPod mini all you need is a 3rd party microphone like the one from Belkin (available in Apple's online iPod Store).

Collapse -
I-Pod Voice recording
by ecamacho / July 12, 2005 10:55 AM PDT

It is not built-in you need to buy an accessory for them to do Voice recording. The Zen Micro also has an FM tuner built-in.

Collapse -
READ a message before you respond!
by audiopainter / July 12, 2005 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I-Pod Voice recording

I said Apple builds voice recording SUPPORT right into the iPod. For all you morons out there, that means the software that runs the voice recording adapter is already on the iPod not the microphone itself. That is where the Belkin adapter comes in. Keep in mind only a small percentage of people that own an "MP3 player" even want a voice recorder. So why make everyone buy it? Why not just the ones that want voice recording?

Collapse -
Why pay extra?
by rwvoss / July 12, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

I think it's great that Creative offers extras that people might be interested in. When I was looking for an MP3 player, I wanted extras without paying extra. If I could get stuff built in without having to by an extra part that is just something else to cary along and lose, I'm all for it!

Creative Zen Micro > IPod Mini

Collapse -
Don't you wonder?
by sh1mpulse / July 12, 2005 2:58 PM PDT

why does the ipop "support" lots of features, yet each one of them is only avalible through an add-on which you must purchase at high prices. they forgot you say maybe?
"yes, let's support all these features but not actually build them in!"
admit it, iPOD's a well marketed scam, which was a solid product to lure you into their business network.

Collapse -
What's an MP3?
by cdanblack / July 13, 2005 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't you wonder?

OK for real. I had a Diamond Rio 64MB (if I remember right) before most of you knew what an MP3 was. I was enjoying downloading music pre-napster era. The Rio was a great gadget, that definetly had its flaws. (printer port connection, slow...I mean slow transfer, etc etc)

2 years later I picked up a 20GB Creative Nomad 3--the iPod had just came out, but it was pricey--I settled on the lower priced, large capacity Nomad. That was one bulky thing. It did well, and actually my wife still loves it. One thing you can say is that syncing using Creative's Play center/media source is HORRIBLE.

Against everything PC inside me, I decided to pick up the 30GB Ipod photo when the priced dropped earlier this year...all I can say is there is nothing better. All of you out there trying to decide between a creative or a Ipod...please don't make the mistake I did with the 1G Ipod. You will not be sorry.

The player is sleek. The interface couldn't be easier to use. Although there are complaints for lack of built in features, I think that far outweighed by the array of compatible accesories. (try that w/ creative)Plus you score double with iTunes. I'm not a mac lover, but I'm affraid if I keep loving my Ipod like I am I might have to convert to the dark side.

I dare any of you to find someone that has and Ipod who can say they wished they had gotten something else.

Ipod>anything else

Collapse -
I have both iPOD and IAUDIO m3
by sh1mpulse / July 13, 2005 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: What's an MP3?

i have both the 20gb iPOD and iAUDIO m3, sorry to say, the m3 in my opinon wins in almost every area of operation. Like i said, the iPOD's fine untile you find that there are other players out there that offer so much for so much less ($). Then you realise that the iPOD is an overrated piece of tech which isn't as great as you think it is.

Collapse -
Why make people pay more for less
by fogfire / July 13, 2005 2:58 AM PDT

Odd you are worried about Creative selling me a microphone I don't need or an FM tuner I don't need when I still got a better player for less and don't have to hang $30 add-ons all over it.

TO make an iPod Mini work like a Zen Micro. I need to spend $200 and then it looks like a tinker toy with all the extras hanging off the outside!!!

Collapse -
To make an IPod work like a Zen Micro
by ecamacho / July 13, 2005 4:05 AM PDT

For me the selling point was actually the built-in voice recorder, and not just support for voice recording. The Zen Micro is a complete package while an IPod is only a digital music player, and everything else costs extra.

Collapse -
yes its true
by burnhamd / July 21, 2005 4:44 AM PDT

the earbud has a microphone in it. I dont know if apple was planning on using it or not but it does work.

Collapse -
again?
by sh1mpulse / July 12, 2005 2:51 PM PDT

isn't that just ipod's sotry in a nutshell, "3rd party equipment available through "apple online store" i really wonder how most ipod owners put up with it. I really do.

Collapse -
That's quite a design flaw IMO
by ackmondual / July 15, 2005 9:03 AM PDT

You have the software for the VR, but not the hardware. They either got sloppy here or did it on purpose to get more $$ on accessories

Collapse -
Apple a day...
by Williamer / August 2, 2010 1:08 AM PDT

Ipod all the way Wink

Collapse -
Creative ZEN TOUCH
by Evan Da Mofo / July 12, 2005 8:59 PM PDT

It rocks! Audio quality impeccable, 20hrs+ battery life, etc, etc, etc. Easy to use.

And the best bit... Its NOT an iPod! iPods are so ubiquitous they should stop making them...

Accesories, well, ones like speaker docks are stupid, and you can get FM transmitters for 3.5mm jacks.

I LOVE MY ZEN!

Collapse -
FM Transmitters
by ecamacho / July 13, 2005 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Creative ZEN TOUCH

Evan,

Have you tried using an FM transmitter? Please let me know if you have found a good one. I use a couple different models from Belkin, and they are good at times but they do not work consistantly. I use the
"TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter (Model F8V3080)" in my vehicle which has the cigarette lighter adapter, so that it has full power at all times. The broadcast fromthe FM transmitter just does not seem to be strong enough which is most likely for FCC reasons. If anyone has a solution I would be happy to hear it.

Collapse -
One with decent range
by cpac33 / August 19, 2005 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: FM Transmitters

I currently use the UX300 (http://www.canakit.com/Contents/Items/UX300.asp), however mine is the 'export' version so the range is higher than normal. I am not sure how far the FCC approved version will go (for the USA).
The one I have has enough range for my home of approximately 3500 sq ft. Sound quality is good. The USB conection makes it seem like a second sound card to the computer, so I can have it broadcast some audio (mp3's/internet radio) and still have a free soundcard on the computer. The only drawback is the cost which was close to $100.

Collapse -
i need an answer, please...
by manon_ / August 31, 2005 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Creative ZEN TOUCH

you sayd in your mail that you can get fm transmiters as accesories for the zen touch.

would those be the same kind of tranmiters that you can use to play your music through the car radio, by tuning the car radio to the frequency of the zen touch transmitter???
if they are able to do this, can you please tell me how and where i can find this accesory, i've been looking for it...

thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.