The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What type of computer monitor do you use?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 15, 2006 3:59 AM PDT

CRT (what size and brand?)
LCD (what size and brand?)
OLED/PLED (what size and brand?)
Plasma (what size and brand?)
Projector (what size and brand?)
Other (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What type of computer monitor do you use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What type of computer monitor do you use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP vs 19c LCD monitor
by digitalMuse13 / June 15, 2006 7:20 PM PDT

I love it except it tends to give me eye strain if I spend too much time looking at it. My old crt didn't give me that problem

Collapse -
Cable modem
by wfconlon / June 16, 2006 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: HP vs 19c LCD monitor

17" Compaq 7550.Three years old and working well.

Collapse -
What type of computer monitor do you use?
by con_surin / June 15, 2006 8:00 PM PDT

Dell 19" LCD and love it!

Collapse -
monitor
by tilburyre / June 15, 2006 8:04 PM PDT

Philips 17" LCD

Collapse -
What kind of computer monitor do you use
by MaryAnnBusby / June 15, 2006 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: monitor

19-in Gateway TFT LCD Color monitor

Collapse -
LCD - desktop space is always strained
by NM_Bill / June 16, 2006 1:55 AM PDT

And as an oldster the bigger the better.

Also, as an oldster my work habits keep a bunch of relevant physical files at hand. OK, others call it messy, but I've worked this way for almost 50 years.

Just wish I could always increase size of e-mail sent with microscopic print.

Collapse -
Sony LCD
by manouf / June 17, 2006 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: monitor

I use a 19 inch Sony LCD (anlogue). Excellent!

Collapse -
type of monitor
by Rocky Roethlisberger / June 15, 2006 8:05 PM PDT

use 19 inch brand is IC purchased through wal mart

Collapse -
computer monitor
by huttoca / June 15, 2006 8:12 PM PDT

17 " Benq

Collapse -
monitor
by mick66 / June 15, 2006 8:13 PM PDT

I`ve got an LG Flatron 19" and it is very good,

Collapse -
What Kind of Monitor
by sfmusiclvr / June 15, 2006 8:37 PM PDT

I use a Samsung SyncMaster 204B

Collapse -
19" TFT - ViewSonic
by MrMe003 / June 15, 2006 8:37 PM PDT

pretty nice Wink

Collapse -
Gateway Flat Panel - 19"
by MaverickIA / June 15, 2006 8:38 PM PDT

N/M

Collapse -
LCD
by OCChemist / June 15, 2006 9:24 PM PDT

A 17" LCD flat panel by Gateway and a 17" CRT flat screen by MAG

Collapse -
What type of monitor?
by Gordon Wileman / June 15, 2006 8:42 PM PDT

COMPAQ 7500 17" CRT

Collapse -
Big 19 inch......
by 9mmammo / June 15, 2006 8:43 PM PDT

I have two 15" lcd monitors sitting around, I have plans for them later (for security systems). In front of me I have a 17" Pyxscape use for direct tv, dvd,vcr--but to my right, I use a 19" hand-me-down gateway crt. The brightness,resolution easily beats down the lcds I have. I plan on running another screen so I can keep my ebay watch going. For the money, why pay major bucks for 720i "HDTV" when I can get great video out of a free monitor? OH, anyone know who makes Pyxscape? I can't complain about it, it's 17" widescreen tv, with component, s-video and pc inputs, with speakers.

Collapse -
IBM G96 and other Apple LCD monitors
by shubhodeepdas / June 15, 2006 9:19 PM PDT

IBM G96 CRT Monitor, yet to find a suitable monitor as my work involves color correction on film. Once i find one thats equally good and cost effective, will switch. Apples are used for all non critical puposes.

Collapse -
Computer Monitor
by Norman McAllister / June 15, 2006 9:58 PM PDT

I have just purchased a 19" Viewsonic and it's great!!

Collapse -
Multiple Monitors
by erichrok / June 15, 2006 9:59 PM PDT

Currently I'm running three monitors on my rig. Two 22'' Mitsubishis and on Dell 24'' LCD. I use two video cards to run them. The important thing I found about running a set up this way is that the video cards have to use the same chip set (either Nvidia - my choice, or ATI). Turns out the drivers for each video card don't play well at all together.

One video card is an AGP the other a PCI. I connect one 22'' and the LCD to a 6800 Ultra (yeah, time to upgrade that) and the other is Geforce 5500 which runs the other 22''. All screen resolutions are set the same (1024 x 768 in my case). The only other thing I needed were the standard monitor cables that came with the CRTs and a DVI cable that came with the LCD. I also had to go into the video tab in the properties page and set up where I wanted each monitor to be positioned and which to designate as my primary monitor.

The screen real estate was worth the hassels of finding out all the little things that I needed to do to make them work together (I set this up three or four years ago when multiple monitors was still a relatively new fad). There aren't to many games that take advantage of multiple monitors but the real power of it is when I do video, photo or text editing. No more popping windows up or hiding windows. Great Stuff.

Good luck to setting up your rig... Cheers

Collapse -
Computer monitor
by purdygd / June 15, 2006 10:08 PM PDT

LG 17 inch and I love it--sharp picture and takes less room

Collapse -
Dell 24 inch LCD is outstanding
by jayvee2 / June 15, 2006 10:08 PM PDT

I?ve had a Dell 24 inch LCD monitor for several months now and I absolutely love it! It?s big, bright and very flexible. (Moves up, down, sideways, tilts and rotates 90 degrees into portrait mode.) I also like the integration of the media storage device inputs. Makes downloading photos from my digital camera a breeze. At the time I bought it Dell had them on sale. It was a steal at $799.

Collapse -
17" lcd KDS
by kcbigbear / June 15, 2006 10:17 PM PDT

I use a 17" lcd kds monitor. i like it never had any trouble with it.
ken

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LCD Hyundai 19 inch
by johnvg / June 15, 2006 10:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
On my main computer?
by the Otter / June 15, 2006 10:33 PM PDT

?I use a 20'' ADC Apple Cinema Display and a 17'' cheapo LCD from X2gen.

Our iBook G4 has a 12'' internal display and uses a 19'' CTX CRT as the second display, when it?s tethered.

Our old G3 minitower uses a 17'' ViewSonic CRT, but if we used it more often, I?d hook our second 17'' CRT?an Envision?back up to it (which is how it was, back when that was our main computer).

Our iMac G3 and G3 all-in-one just have their respective integrated 15'' CRTs.

Our old LC II just sits in the closet, but she still has her stock 12'' Apple CRT.

We also have an old IBM that we got at a garage sale for $5, but since we?ve never even gotten around to turning it on, it doesn?t have any display at all.

Collapse -
I call him 'Dino'...
by roadblockron / June 15, 2006 10:38 PM PDT

I have an old dinosaur Samsung 19" monitor - as big as a Buick, and has been performing like a champ for 6 years!

I can't wait for it to fail, though - so I can get my desktop back with a flat panel monitor...

Collapse -
LCD
by hannibal18 / June 15, 2006 10:57 PM PDT

I use a new HP L1906

Collapse -
Dual old-skool
by dastuph / June 15, 2006 10:58 PM PDT

I've been using a Dual 21" Dell P1130 monitor setup for the past 3-4 years. I'd love to ditch these and upgrade to a LARGE widescreen LCD panel but for some reason management doesn't see eye to eye with me on that one Happy

Collapse -
Type of monitor
by isiahparker16 / June 15, 2006 11:05 PM PDT

I use a dual monitor set-up: a 19" ViewSonic flat panel and a 19" Samsung flat panel. I do lots of graphics, video work and Web work and need the extra space. Both monitors were on sale.

Collapse -
Type of Monitor
by Chalfontlad / June 15, 2006 11:11 PM PDT

Philips 18 inch LCD - super reproduction of photos and easy on the eyes for sustained work

Collapse -
Type OF Monitor.
by bradjohn123 / February 20, 2011 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: Type of Monitor

I am using DELL monitor. 24" .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.