TVs & Home Theaters

Question

What TV to buy...

by GWvsJohn / December 23, 2012 4:00 AM PST

I'm looking to upgrade my TV and not sure what to get. It will be in a large basement room. There won't be any sunlight in the room, but the majority of the time, the room will be well lit while the TV is in use. I think a 60" will fit nicely. The TV will mostly be used to watch TV and movies, but also used for my PS3 and Xbox 360.

I'm not a fanatic about top of the line equipment, but I want a TV that will look very good for the next 5-10 years.

The two I was looking at are below. I think my biggest question is, do you think plasma or LED is better for my room/intended use?

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-60ex645/4505-6482_7-35432724.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p60st50/4505-6482_7-35118301.html

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What TV to buy...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What TV to buy...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
When you listed games I worry about plasma.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: What TV to buy...

The plasma fans and makers tend to downplay image retention and burn in but it's still there.

Proof? Read the warranty and it excludes burn in and some exclude image retention. Your plasma fans often write about LCD burn too.
Bob

Collapse -
I see a great reply below. 5 year designs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 6:53 AM PST

Some don't like the fact that most designs are 5 year designs. We asked for lower prices and we got them.

Collapse -
Answer
Plasma and Panasonic
by givemeaname / December 23, 2012 6:42 AM PST

I game on mine (360), 2-3 hours (sometimes more) maybe 2-3 times a week for 3 years, no burn in. Since most of the time it will be movies and tv, gaming use will be fine on plasma. It is when you game 5-7 days a week for hours on end, week after week that it can be come a problem. I would not game in the first 100-200 hours of getting the tv, look up "plasma break in. I did a 120 hour break-in using a break-in dvd (free download on AVS site) on my 2 plasmas.

No one can guarantee the life span you want, you will have to get an extended warranty but the most I think you can get is 5 years starting at purchase date, so really 4 years. Anything over 7 years would just be bonus years.

Collapse -
Answer
Plasma should be the best
by Nasim_Khansari / December 26, 2012 12:33 PM PST

The room conditions you have as well as the usage you have mentioned, the Pana ST50 would be the one to go for. No LED TV can compare to its contrast ratios and black levels..

Collapse -
Thanks!
by GWvsJohn / December 27, 2012 1:00 AM PST

One further issue has arisen. I now have a WiiU, which means I need 4 HDMI input and it seems the Panasonic only has 3 slots. I don't have any experience with HDMI splitters, are they any good? Is the Pana still superior given either the use of a splitter or the hassle of swapping plugs whenever I want to use the Wii?

Collapse -
I think you meant SWITCHER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Those splitters are usually meant to split the HDMI out to more displays. HDMI switches are now plentiful. Some are even automatic.
Bob

Collapse -
ok, switcher :)
by GWvsJohn / December 27, 2012 1:39 AM PST

Any recommendations for a good one?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: ok, switcher :)

These are commodity items. I would pick the number of ports I need (2 or 3 to 1 is very common) and then ask if I want an automatic one then hit amazon for such and then pass up if all reviews say "junk." You'll always find a bad review so some folk can't buy anything.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.