The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What TV technologies are you considering?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / December 19, 2005 6:54 AM PST

What TV technologies are you considering?

Direct View TV (which one?)
DLP TV (which one?)
HD-ILA TV (which one?)
LCD Projection TV (which one?)
LCD TV (which one?)
LCOS TV (which one?)
Plasma TV (which one?)
Projection TV (which one?)
Overhead projector (which one?)
Other (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What TV technologies are you considering?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What TV technologies are you considering?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by john_delancey / December 20, 2005 8:54 AM PST

I purchased a hd/lcd 52" and I will replace it with a dlp soon. It gives the best picture by far, hands down.

Collapse -
Took ma while but DLP rules
by rohanchristie / December 20, 2005 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: techs

I did a lot of research before shelling out upwards of 15 grand to buy an HDTV this christmas. It all came down to two factors; Longevity and Convenience. I realize that a DLP required a new bulb approximately every 2-3 years but once replaced its as if the TV was brand new. Plasma continuously loses brightness as time goes by and will never regain the level it was when first purchased. As for convenience, I happen to think that the hanging on the wall feature of plasmas is overated. So I went for the DLP 50" and haven't regretted a minute of it. The contrast is brilliant and though you don't get the pure black it comes awfully close.

Collapse -
Sounds like you should have...
by arschna / December 21, 2005 6:25 AM PST

gone for LCD. Def. lower maintenance, longer track recrd, and truer pictures.

Collapse -
At 50" DLP was the best option
by rohanchristie / December 28, 2005 4:42 AM PST

Since I was in the market for 42 or bigger, DLP seemed like the best option. Like I said no Regrets. Additionally, as a video gaming fanatic its nice to know "screen burn" is not a problem I will have to worry about.

Collapse -
by Roy W King / December 29, 2005 3:15 AM PST

what type 50" DLP did u get /

Collapse -
Magnavox 50ML8105D
by rohanchristie / December 29, 2005 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: tv

Got it from best buy just before thanksgiving for $1700. I got the 4 year service plan even though I realized afterward that the bulb is pretty easy to change. Hopefully I get to use the service at least twice to cover the cost.

Collapse -
You must be a salesperson then because.....................
by drdu / January 10, 2006 8:12 AM PST

it's known by most people in sales that the Samsung dlp's are more problems than you can imagine. One of the sales techs came over to pick up my Mitsubishi DLP for the second time, and said the 800 number for support and tech are swamped with problem calls. Authorized dealers for repairs are overwhelmed with calls.
I finally went with Sony's LCos and the HD is far superior and no techinical problems at all! GL

Collapse -
Good thing I didn't get a Samsung
by rohanchristie / January 10, 2006 1:07 PM PST

I bought a Magnavox DLP and after 2 months I haven't had any problems. Played hours of video games, watched hours of tv just to give it a real test run and it passed every test beautifully. I feel sorry for anyone who's having trouble.

Collapse -
samsung dlp
by Whitecougar / January 11, 2006 2:13 AM PST

Bought a samsung dlp in december, works flawless no problems or issues. Seems most of the reviews are very good except your salesman friends' review.

Collapse -
by Roy W King / January 12, 2006 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: samsung dlp

somehow things have gotten mixed up. I have read a latter input on this subj and they are the ones that state samsung not good. The tech that came out to fix the mit, before i returned it, stated that samsung and sony were the only good ones.

Collapse -
Sony and Toshiba
by ufmo / January 12, 2006 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: SAMSUNG DLP

Sony are good, i have the new SXRD but the Toshiba DLPs are better then the Mits and Samsung but are hard to find. Look at a Toshiba HMX195 NOT THE HMX95 THE ONLY TURE 1080P, when ever that signal is avalible, out there.

Collapse -
Why the Sony?
by dziring / January 19, 2006 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Sony and Toshiba

Why did you choose to go with the Sony over the Toshiba H-MX195?

Collapse -
Why i chose the Sony
by ufmo / January 19, 2006 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Why the Sony?

Well I chose the Sony because it was available and I feel the Sony is also a higher quality build. It?s a more solid manufacture product and has a good reputation. Another factor is the fact that the future use of this TV is long lasting. I know its not true 1080p but it's up convert is the same as a 1080p receiver. For example, during a gadget show the Sony SXRD was being used to show Blue Ray technology from a Blue Ray DVD player, ?Hint? it can run a 1080p signal and very well I might add. There is a lot manufactures are not telling you very much about these grades of video quality. Any real tech head will tell it its all marketing. The Toshiba is a great TV too and also has a great track record as far as electronics although I have issues with there new line of HDMI DVD players (another time another place) it has to do with frequent freezing picture. The Toshibas are cheaply manufacture with cheap materials but very good components and that?s because like Sony they make their own parts. Here is an example the Toshiba controller is plastic the Sony controller is made of a light weight metal. Your drop it, it breaks the floor , just kidding. I had a real hard time finding the Toshiba MX series, I could only buy it direct or from some other sketchy online sales distributer so I got a sweet deal on the Sony $3,400 from a Sound Advice plus 18 month no interest, sorry I sound like a commercial. Don?t forget you will be spending at least another grand in components, HD DVD player, and wires like HDMI cables and even more if you want a sound system (take baby steps). Remember one thing as well and I may be repeating myself make your living room fit your TV not your TV fit your living room. The MX195 series was the only comparable TV to the Sony the other TVs just didn't cut it and don't let the sales person tell you what to buy educate yourself. The only real difference is the Toshiba is DLP and the Sony is the LCD simi-rear projection(hard to explain). It?s really preference and what you use your TV for. So far I am very happy with the Sony and I will have a more comprehensive review later when I learn more about my TV. I am not wealthy so don?t get the idea that I throw my money around and I didn't just pick the prettiest TV I did my research.

Collapse -
not exactly...
by Whitecougar / December 28, 2005 5:46 AM PST

dlp has been proven to provide a better picture than LCD. truer blacks and no "screen door" effect.

Collapse -
by Behindthescenes / December 28, 2005 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: not exactly...

Really? When I go to a electronics store like best buy or circuit city and when I check those DLP tv's, every time i veiw them from an angle I always get the screen door effect. Is that what they call it lol? So far I havent' seen a DLP that doesn't have the screen door effect.

Collapse -
Screen Door Effect? What is it? (n/t)
by rwlade / December 28, 2005 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: DLP

-Dr. Bob Lade

Collapse -
I'm not familiar....
by rohanchristie / December 29, 2005 2:48 AM PST

What exactly is the screen door effect? Obviously it hasn't bothered me since I have no idea what it is. I went to best buy and had them send the same signal to three tv's to help my decision. The DLP was the best at 50". And at $300 less than the LCD and CRT models it was a no-brainer. I also read somewhere about a "rainbow effect" with dlp, haven't noticed it in the last month I've been using my TV.

Collapse -
Rainbow effect
by Whitecougar / December 29, 2005 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not familiar....

The rainbow effect was only a problem for a small percentage of people. This hs been virtually eliminated in the newer units due to the colour wheels turning faster and being changed from a six segment wheel to a seven segment wheel.

Collapse -
screen door effect
by Whitecougar / December 29, 2005 7:03 AM PST

Screen door effect is the term used to refer to the dark space between pixels on LCD displays. In some situations, it may give the impression of looking through a screen door at the image.

Collapse -
Screen Door Effect
by rwlade / December 29, 2005 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: screen door effect

Hmmm, we have 4 LCD monitors in our office here and I've never seen the effect. Must be something unique to TV?

-Dr. Bob

Collapse -
Unique to tv
by Whitecougar / December 29, 2005 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: Screen Door Effect

Its most noticeable in the large projection lcd, 50" and above. I is most noticeable if your watching from a distance of less than twice the width of the screen. What you see is the space between the pixels.

Collapse -
dlp screen door effect ??
by Whitecougar / December 29, 2005 7:31 AM PST

What your seeing is not the screen door effect, Dlp is not prone to this effect. It is more likely low level video noise , or for lack of a better word pixelation, caused by the weak video signal and interfearance that most retail outlets have. Also watching a tv at such a severe angle is probably not the norm.

Collapse -
by Behindthescenes / December 29, 2005 3:35 PM PST

Oh ok. Everytime I go to retail store I also see that screen door effect. That's why I never liked the DLP's. I don't mean watching it in an angle that much. But more or less if you had friends come over to watch a game or something and not everyone can sit directly toward the tv. So some may have to watch it in a slight angle. And at the retails stores when I look at the DLP's from a slight angle I get the screen door effect like you see in some laptops.

Collapse -
Don't judge at the store.
by ufmo / December 29, 2005 11:43 PM PST

I wouldn't make a decision based on the stores set up. They have every TV hooked into one box which will make the picture look like crap on all TVs. I suggest looking at two Televisions the Toshiba 56MX195 or any 195 series and the SONY KDS-R50XBR1 which is a LCD rear projection TV and one of the best. The Toshiba 195 series are true 1080p and the only one on the market. People in the stores will tell you the Sony is too but its not trust me. Its only up convert. They tried to sell me on that one lol. The best thing you can do in the store is ask them to hook up a HD dvd player directly to the TVs and make your comparison that way. I have been researching these TVs for about 6 months so if you have any questions or suggestions please let me know because i still can't decide.

Collapse -
by ufmo / December 29, 2005 11:47 PM PST

Oh yeah and the newer Toshiba DLPs have the largest viewing angle of all DLPs and rear projection LCDs at 130 degrees.

Collapse -
dlp trouble
by nvarsalona / January 20, 2006 11:32 PM PST

I had a gateway DLP 56 inch rptv. The color wheel went ou after the warenty period and the cost of the wheel is 1,300 Dollars plus shipping. So I would think twice about DLP. By the way my tv was only 2 years old

Collapse -
I gave up on Gateway a while ago
by rohanchristie / January 21, 2006 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: dlp trouble

Sorry to hear about your trouble. When I purchased my DLP from Bestbuy the sales rep was very honest with me in telling me that the bulb was probably gonna go out within a couple of years. So I got the 4 year service plan. I figure if I was going to spend that much money on a tv I might as well throw in the extra $300 to protect it. "Peace of mind my friend" that's what I paid for. Based on my research I haven't heard anywhere else about problems with the color wheel. Could be because you purchased your tv when the technology was really new and thus not as reliable. I figure in 4 years the bulbs will probably even be cheaper thus increasing the reliability of my tv even further.

Collapse -
problems after warranty
by Whitecougar / January 24, 2006 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: dlp trouble

When I purchased my samsung 50" dlp it was only after alot of research and due to the fact they have been making dlp tv for the longest time it was reasonable to conclude that they have manufactured a quality product. With that said I also purchased a 4 year warranty to insure that my decision was sound. Its common that most manufactured goods outlast the warranty period set by the manufacturer, hence the 4 year warranty as opposed to the 2 year manufacturer warranty.

Collapse -
Looking to buy my third Pioneer plasma.
by Iceman35 / December 20, 2005 8:59 AM PST

I have a 2 year old 50" Elite and a 61" Elite for 4 months. The best 61" anything on the market.

Need one for the bedroom to replace a Sony LCD. Am waiting for the 930HD to arrive at my local TV store.
The 930HD is 43" with a great HD picture and a very good SD picture.

Collapse -
by shelley allard / February 15, 2006 3:19 AM PST

Did you purchase the 930. What do you think? We are considering it too. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.