TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What TV do you recommend for Video games Plamsa vs. LCD?

by waltersanchez79 / September 28, 2007 12:58 AM PDT

I own the Wii, Xbox 360 with the component cables, and a playstation 2. I am running these consoles on my 42 inch Samsung Plasma TV. I get burnt in images on the TV when I play any of the consoles, but I can remove about 99% of it with the anti burn function the TV has built in h, which shifts the pixels. I want to purchase a new bigger TV and was wondering if I should get a Plasma or LCD TV? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What TV do you recommend for Video games Plamsa vs. LCD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What TV do you recommend for Video games Plamsa vs. LCD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
which one ?
by rsternb / September 28, 2007 5:48 PM PDT

I have a 24 inch dell LCD monitor and play lots of games with
no problems. maybe its the xbox that is putting out too much
signal - but thats not logical.
sorry cant help more, dont know what probs could be with plasma.
hopefully others will jump in here hahaha
ted Happy

Collapse -
You certainly have a tricky question...
by 3rdalbum / September 28, 2007 8:08 PM PDT

For screen sizes under 117 centimetres (that's 46 inches), I recommend LCDs as they have more advantages than plasma, and picture quality is far superior. So if you were living life over again, I would've recommended buying a 101 or 106cm LCD like the Samsung LA40R81BDX, for your first gaming TV.

However, at 117cm and above, motion blur becomes noticeable on LCD. So, damned if you do and damned if you don't - you get burn-in on the plasmas, but quick motion is blurry on the LCDs.

My suggestion would be to take your console into electrical stores and ask if you can try out some games on the TVs there. Try out the LCDs and see if you can notice the blur, and then (briefly!) try out the plasmas to see if they are any better.

Try out the 117cm Samsung LCD (LA46M81BDX) by all means, but I have noticed that the motion blur is just too bad. It's a fantastic TV otherwise, but it's not what you want for gaming.

Collapse -
Plasma > LCD
by laptop HP / September 28, 2007 9:30 PM PDT

Although LCD has superior image quality over plasma tv BUT it has its consequences. As it uses Liquid Crystal Display, it tends to burn out after several years of usage especially if used for prolonged period that is for video gaming. As evidence you could sit or stand nearby the LCD, You could feel the heat emmited from the screen. Where as a plasma tv has decent image quality but it could withstand long term usage. I have a 32" plasma tv and i've been using it for about 15 years and it still has great image. So i strongly recommend a plasma tv for prolonged period of use.

Collapse -
I would say LCD
by peterj_1992 / September 28, 2007 11:05 PM PDT

For a TV under 46 inches, i would say to get an lcd, but if you're looking for something bigger, either get a plasma or get an LCD with a high contrast ratio (>8000:1 dynamic) and with a fast response time (under 5 ms), but be prepared to pay if you want, for example, a 52 inch LCD. Well, hope I could help.

Collapse -
I'm sorry to disagree
by kcfvegas / September 29, 2007 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I would say LCD

I'm sorry to disagree with the people on this post that are saying that LCD has the best picture quality. Plasma has the better picture quality, LCD is catching up, but it's not there yet.

As far as which TV is better for video games, if the TV is going to be used primarily for video games, I would recommend LCD. Because as a whole you are going to be less likely to get burn in on a LCD. Plasma has come a long way in fighting burn in, as a matter of fact I own a Pioneer 5080 and play my Xbox 360 on it with no problems. And if you were looking at getting a Pioneer 5080 or 4280 I would definitely recommend it because I know you wont have any burn in problems, because they are made to play games. Samsung says they have a similar technology on their '64 series plasmas.

But if you are looking at one of the lower priced plasmas, then I would recommend the LCD. If you are on a tight budget, Vizio gives you some of the best bang for your buck. I have one in my bedroom, and I am very happy with it.

Collapse -
some of you have it the other way around
by rsftl / September 29, 2007 11:25 PM PDT

generally plasma's only come above 42" so if you want a smaller screen, u can only buy an lcd. Now heres the truth, LCD has a longer life, and is way better for gaming than plasma. Plasma's have a slightly better picture, better response time for watching tv, but they have a smaller lifespan, they have more burn in than lcds. now if this is for your living room and you'll be watching alot of tv i'd go with a plasma, but if gaming is your main idea then lcd is the one.

Collapse -
LCDs vs. plasmas for video games
by waltersanchez79 / September 30, 2007 9:15 PM PDT

I was hoping to get a 50" TV. My current TV is a Samsung flat panel plasma 42" inch. See I have played games on LCD's and notice a bit of a blur effect on fast moving games, which can be annoying.

Collapse -
LCD Vs. Plasma
by laptop HP / September 30, 2007 10:55 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.