Car Tech

General discussion

What Tuner Car to Get?!?!

by cv4stm / May 13, 2005 7:20 AM PDT

ok, I plan on buying a nice tuner car soon since I am getting my licence in a while. I want to know what car you guys would recommend. I don'y exactly have alot of money to spend on the car but will be upgrading it. Couple questions:

1) what car can easily be modded and is fairly cheap
2) if I lease, can I still tune car (ie. lights, sound, etc.)

thx for the asnwers and for any other info u guys can give me Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Tuner Car to Get?!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Tuner Car to Get?!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tuner Cars...
by jrmar07 / May 14, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

By a tuner car you mean compact, four-cylinder, and front wheel drive? Are you talking used or new?
Either way I would reccommend:
Honda Civic
Mazda 3
Toyota Corolla
Chevrolet Cobalt
(personally I want a Cobalt SS lol)
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=9020&page_number=1

For less money you could get:
Kia Spectra 5
Suzuki Reno

Personally tuning a car can void the cars warranty, which is not a smart idea if you lease the car. However, many car company's solution to this is to offer factory tuning, in which you can add factory performance parts and accessories to your car while keeping the warranty. If you want to tune your car youself, the best bet is to buy used or brand new if you can afford it, not lease.

Collapse -
ya, that is what I am trying to do...
by cv4stm / May 14, 2005 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Tuner Cars...

but since I am 16 and don't have alot of cash, I want a used car that I can pay like $300 a month for with a downpayment of like $2000 or sumthing...I no it will be tough but I am gonna look like hell once I start actually getting real serious

rite now, I am trying to find out what cars are good so that I can look for good deals.

Collapse -
I'm 16 too...
by jrmar07 / May 14, 2005 6:30 AM PDT

Im stuck with my Mom's old 98 Accord!! oh well...

Collapse -
I no what u mean...
by cv4stm / May 14, 2005 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm 16 too...

I mite get stuck with my moms 98 Mystique which actually wouldn't be too bad if I throw on a body kit, sound system, spoiler and a couple other things

Collapse -
feel lucky to have a car
by boustany_joe / June 25, 2006 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I no what u mean...

I'm 17 and I was ''stuck'' with a '91 acura legend.. that is until I did a neutral drop, striped second gear, over heated it and got a head gasket leak.. now I''m out a sweet car and VERY interested in tuners

Collapse -
Acura Legend
by cubeguyt / October 2, 2006 9:14 AM PDT

The Legend is a freakin' sweet car. My dad has one with the type II engine and a 6speed. It has to be the best pseudoluxo car on the market at the time. If you'll excuse me, as far as "tite MODZZZ" I really don't see the appeal of most body kits as they are normally not done well and really don't add anythig to the car. Now engine mods I can understand, and even I replaced the stock stereo in my Integra. Yeah, I drive an Integra, THE ricer car and I don't like mods.

Collapse -
no clue.
by ryankelly10 / August 13, 2008 5:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I no what u mean...

throwing a body kit on, sound system and spoiler isn't tunning a car.

performance mods first.

Collapse -
Celicas
by XXXXL / May 29, 2005 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Tuner Cars...

I wanted to know how you feel on Toyota Celicas...

Collapse -
RE: Celica's
by cv4stm / May 30, 2005 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Celicas

I personally love the newer (2000+) V6 Celica's but they are most likely out of my price range...if I had enuf money for one tho, I would get it for sure

Collapse -
2000+ V6 Celicas? What?!?
by Apharot / January 12, 2007 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Celica's

2000+ V6 celicas, eh? Too bad the Celica has never come with a V6....ever. Try again.

Collapse -
Well if you want to be technical
by un4m3d / April 9, 2008 4:47 PM PDT

Back in the 80's when the Celica and Supra wherethe same car, it did has a V6, but since then the celica has been a well-engineered 4 cylinder.

Collapse -
yes they do exist
by eclipse12 / July 12, 2008 7:39 AM PDT

excuse me for pointing out that if you dont think v6 celicas exist, even 2000+ ones, you are mistaken. Sorry if you dont like it but they do exist. Even w/o engine swaps.

Collapse -
Get a Scion
by annette.cardwell / May 16, 2005 2:35 PM PDT

They're totally made to be modded. It's definitely your best choice.

Collapse -
scion
by dineshgohil87 / July 14, 2006 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Get a Scion

I have a scion tc, i absolutely love it. i plan on tuning it myself, once i have enough money. scion tc is an awesome car if u wanna mod it up, plus its really spacious for a nice big sound system in the back.

Collapse -
Oh yea...
by jrmar07 / May 17, 2005 7:37 AM PDT

I forgot about Scion! Scion is great, you get Toyota quality and engineering for cheap! The scion tc is an awesome deal and very customizable. Or theres the box...

Collapse -
RE:
by cv4stm / May 17, 2005 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh yea...

don't have money to get a scion...I think that I will stick with the Mystique...I will be throwing in a crapload of mods tho like:

-whole body kit
-hoodscoop
-sidescoops
-spoiler
-new metallic paint
-exhaust tips
-leather interior (black outside, white inside)
-white neons (underglow and other places)
-head and taillights
-MP3 deck
-2 speakers, 1 amp, 1 subwoofer in trunk (incased in box)
-1 speaker, 1 subwoofer in back seat (incased in box)
-4 smaller speakers (1 in each door)
-pedals
-air/fuel controller
-air breather
-air filter
-new gauges
-fuel pump
-brake pads
-electric radiator fan
-engine/transmission/radiator/fuse box covers (shaker hoods)
-fuel filters
-metal fuel doors
-flywheel
-fan controller
-fuel injectors
-fuel pressure regulator
-mesh steel grill
-hidden compartment for light switches
-oil catch tank
-oil caps
-possibly NOS
-Rims
-tires
-safety blow down kit (if get NOS)
-shifter knobs
-short shifters
-lowering springs
-spark plugs
-strut bar
-thermostats
-turbo timers

I can't get all of this stuff right away but I will be adding more as I go

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wow how much money can you spend? Sounds like $4000 of
by jrmar07 / May 18, 2005 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:
Collapse -
AS I Said...
by cv4stm / May 18, 2005 11:11 AM PDT

I am not gonna throw it all in at one time....it will be thrown in over time...first sound, then exterior, then interior, then performance

Collapse -
Update...
by cv4stm / May 26, 2005 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: AS I Said...

I now may be getting a different used car instead of my mom's mystique...I am leaning towards a used (2000-2002) Mustang

Collapse -
Update of Update...
by cv4stm / May 27, 2005 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Update...

my parents won't go for mustang because they say the insurance will be too much so I am now most likely gonna get a Mazda MX-3

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hatchback or sedan?
by jrmar07 / May 28, 2005 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Update of Update...
Collapse -
um...
by cv4stm / May 28, 2005 1:10 AM PDT

i am pretty sure it is the hatchbakc...it is the one with the spoiler and the higher back...i have really only seen one on the net...not sure which one it is...either way, I am hoping to buy it off someone who already has a body kit off it so i won't have to buy as much

Collapse -
other tuners
by superdemo / May 31, 2005 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: um...

You should consider mazda rx-8,mazda rx-7, and mazda miata, toyota supra (1995), mitsibushi eclipse, honda s2000 and mostly nissan skyline,acura rsx, acura nsx, ford focus and a golf (2000 model and up).They're all very good tuner cars. If you don't mind a four door car you can consider Mitsibushi lancer(2000 model and up), nissan sentra (2001 and up model).
All these other tuners are more popular than mazda mx3. The car with the most aftermarket parts in the u.s is civic. Just a good tip for you to consider before buying any tuner.

Collapse -
RE:
by cv4stm / May 31, 2005 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: other tuners

I would love basically any of those cars other than the focus and golf but i bunch are out of my price range. I am thinking of looking into the supra tho. I don't want a civic tho because they are the poser car in most situations. I like the rx series and the acura's but they ma ybe out of my price range

Collapse -
poser?
by Anna Rose Tedesco / July 1, 2006 8:42 AM PDT

civic's are not poser cars. if they are done right but yeah people do put stupid body kits and wings on them and try to act like the single cams are the ****. those are the posers.

Collapse -
RE: Posers
by MIGUEL IBANEZ / July 17, 2006 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: poser?

No, the Posers are anyone who puts a Turbo Timer in their list of planned mods on a non-turbo car...

To the original poster...

If you want a REAL tuner car, something that will go fast and turn faster, buy a 2nd generation RX-7.

Collapse -
your kidding arnt you?????????
by sk8ter34 / June 3, 2005 3:40 AM PDT

Im not being mean but you are kidding right???
Those cars:
RSX: mildly affordable
NSX: More expensive than RSX
Miata: pretty much contends because its light or if it is a Mazdaspeed
Sentra: a good choice
Golf: easily affordable and good hp for the money
Lancer:reg lancer? (evos and eights are expensive)
After that it is just kida all wrong and very amusing (no offense)
Heres a very affordable list of easily tunable cars
Acura Integra, Nissian 240sx, Honda prelude, Nissian 300zx, Ford Focus, Honda del sol, Ford Mustang, Honda civic, volkswagon golf and jetta

Look at first Mautofied.com under tuner or show car classiffieds for cars

A lot of those cars are my dream cars (good choices)

Collapse -
RE:
by cv4stm / June 3, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

don't no who you are talking to here...if u are talking to me about saying alittle expensive, I am 16 and don't have $10000 to spend on a car

Collapse -
not you i was talkin to sry
by sk8ter34 / June 17, 2005 4:30 AM PDT

i was talkin to the dude saying to look 4 skylines and stuff ..... i think hes a poser...or mad rich

sry bout the confusion

Collapse -
fyi
by hamptongearhead / January 19, 2006 6:20 AM PST

the 2002 nissan skyline r-34 vspec is a dream car, but good luck getting it across the border

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.