Tablets forum

Question

What to get for mom: E-Reader or Tablet?

by cstleddy / May 6, 2013 5:26 AM PDT

My mom's really big on spirituality and wants something to
1. get online,
2. use a search engine to search for different pastors,
3. and watch their sermons.
4. She also wants to watch sermons on YouTube.

She's never been on a computer before and Dad has an iPad on which he's shown her how to use a search engine and view video. She doesn't want to download anything! I may teach her how to do email.

Prior to this she's NEVER even touched a computer before.

Her budget is $200. We'd like to get her as large a screen as affordable with Wi-Fi.

How about an E-Reader?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to get for mom: E-Reader or Tablet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to get for mom: E-Reader or Tablet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Item 3 is a tough one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2013 6:50 AM PDT

At 200 that rules out the ipad unless that the budget can go to 299 for the new mini.

There's a lot of junk near the 99 buck mark and we call those training pads. You get those to figure out what you want.

Try the Kindle Fire HD. The only grief I can see is item 3. These are not PCs. Not one in this price range is adept as your PC.
Bob

Collapse -
What do you think about the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0?
by cstleddy / May 6, 2013 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Item 3 is a tough one.

what do you think about the Samsung galaxy 2 7.0? I've just been viewing some info on cnet and youtube comparing the two and the price is about the same just under $200 (with Mother's Day sales)
Thanks

Collapse -
Still going to be iffy on item 3.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2013 8:06 AM PDT

Read http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-592238/adobe-flash-for-galaxy-tab-2-10-1/ and you discover that tablets do have issues with content that is not tailored and tested for play on the tablet.

If it uses the YouTube app, it's slightly better but then with Google's move to monetize YouTube folk discover that some videos can't be seem on tablets, tvs and phones.

The Kindle Fire HD is 179 today so it's inside your budget and I own that one. I have others available due to work at the office.
Bob

Collapse -
More questions about Adobe Flash
by cstleddy / May 6, 2013 11:19 PM PDT

I've never owned a tablet, but If I'm understanding you correctly,watching the YouTube videos is not an issue on either the Kindle Fire HD or the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 because there are apps for that. But going to a website and wanting to watch a video there will most likely require Adobe Flash, something tablets don't ordinarily come with. And Adobe has stopped supporting Flash on Android. And we'd need to get an older version of Flash to put on either a Kindle Fire HD 7" or a Galaxy Tablet 2 7.0?

Thanks

Collapse -
Or a newer version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 2:23 AM PDT

Please read the link again as the user installed a new Flash and another browser and has fixed it.

Link -> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-592238/adobe-flash-for-galaxy-tab-2-10-1/?tag=posts;msg5454896

I think this is pretty bad since each owner gets to re-discover this.

Keep in mind I have access to a few tablets and for consumers, that don't want to tinker, the KF is very good. However if folk want to get more from a tablet I like the one you noted and have good luck with the Google Nexus line as well as the Asus Transformer.

--> Here's what I'm seeing. Folk want to get the PC Web experience on a tablet. For 99 or so bucks. Pretty hard to do. At about 250 we get pretty close.
Bob

Collapse -
I like it
by porsche10x / May 11, 2013 2:59 AM PDT

I got the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 for Xmas and I've been pretty happy with it. Good features, snappy response, decent battery life. A lot of bang for the buck. You can often find it at $179 and every now and then, on sale for $149. My only complaints are the proprietary connector for charging and wired data transfer, also, no HDMI out. I particularly like the 7" format, Much easier to see than a phone, but can still fit in your jeans pocket. I passed on the Nexus 7 since it doesn't take SD cards.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.