Mac Hardware forum

Question

What to expect performance wise on 21.5" iMac?

by niffffffff / July 9, 2011 8:38 AM PDT

I'm thinking of purchasing a 21.5" iMac specs:
Core 2 duo 3.06GHz
500GB HDD
4GB RAM
Radeon 4670
Snow leopard.
I just wanted to know what kind of performance I can expect for gaming, I'm not looking for the iMac to run all games on Max settings. I was hoping it would be able to run most games on at least medium settings?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to expect performance wise on 21.5" iMac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to expect performance wise on 21.5" iMac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) And it will
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 9, 2011 8:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
by niffffffff / July 9, 2011 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: And it will

(NT)? :/

Collapse -
NT = No Text
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 10, 2011 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

"I was hoping it would be able to run most games on at least medium settings?"

And it will.

However, I believe you have your specs wrong.

There is not a Core 2 duo 3.06Ghz to be had at the Apple store.

The current 21.5" iMac has a Quad Core processor running at 2.5, 2.7 or 2.8Ghz.
The 2.8Ghz processor is an i7 while the others are the i5.

The graphics are Radeon HD 6750M or 6770M, each with 512MB of RAM

Either way, my original answer still stands.

Where are you expecting to purchase this iMac from and is it less than $1199?

P

Collapse -
Answer
iMac 21.5 issues
by senseiruss / July 12, 2011 5:29 AM PDT

I have two of these -- immaculately well-maintained and virus-protected. I make two back ups (each) weekly. One, that I've had no problems whatsoever with, just yesterday, had the internal HD die. Unrecoverable. It worked like a charm before this happened. Luckily, I have cloned, bootable backups of all data. I love this machine, I just got unlucky!

Collapse -
quick correction here
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 12, 2011 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: iMac 21.5 issues

Not only does the drive have to be by the same manufacturer, it has to be Apple branded.

However, these drives are only on the newer iMac's which would not seem to apply to the Original Poster as they are speaking of an iMac that currently is not for sale.

P

Collapse -
Answer
Low power GPU
by JB2957 / August 14, 2011 4:49 PM PDT

The radeon 4670 is as far as I know a lower model graphics card, the rest of your hardware is easily up to par.
Id say it can handle average 3d graphics at a decent frame rate but dont expect clear textures and higher frame rates without being choppy. Medium settings should bring acceptable quality with that card.
Ive personally only used a 5000 series radeon but with a dual core 2.2 and i was able to play games like left 4 dead 2 on acceptable quality without being choppy.

Collapse -
Answer
A great machine!
by MATTS9999 / August 25, 2011 11:43 PM PDT

I use a similar setup and it runs most modern games with very little lag....also I use processor huingry applications like Pro Tools for with lots of plug ins and have been very pleased with the results. A great machine.

Cheers!

Matt

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums on 08/26/2011 at 9:17 AM PT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.