Desktops forum

General discussion

what to do with old IDE drives ??

by ec_sincity / March 20, 2009 12:37 PM PDT

Having upgraded my computer which has SATA's and one IDE slot , and looking to upgrade my wifes computer , which will have one IDE (if any at all), Im looking for a solution where as I can still use our IDE drives.
We have quite afew of these drives (IDE) and are looking for a solution in which we can put them to good use , without having lots of computers in use merely to house the drives for lan access.

I realise this may sound silly but my ideal solution would be a multi HDD caddy ( usb or firewire) ... is there such a thing ?? .... and if not what other possibilities are there ??

I realise that SATA is the way forward from IDE , but I dont want to send them to the landfill just because our new motherboards dont support them anymore.

Many many thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what to do with old IDE drives ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what to do with old IDE drives ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
considering a 500gb drive is only $60
by ramarc / March 20, 2009 12:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
I made the decision.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 1:07 PM PDT

And any unit in a single GB digit and less was posted on FreeCycle. I gifted them all out after I ran DBAN on them.

Collapse -
PS. Just a nice tool I added to my kit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I made the decision.
Collapse -
thanks for the answers so far
by ec_sincity / March 20, 2009 1:33 PM PDT

Thankyou for the answers so far , but I should have pointed out that these drives are 4 x 40GB , 3 x 80GB , and 3 x 120GB ... IMO would be a shame to waste them,as storage would be the obvious job for them ... given the fact that nowadays we back up our mp3 , games , films ,OS HDD to them ... these drives would be perfect for that . Plus I'm not sure I would want to put all my eggs in one basket.Having all/most of my data on one HDD , even if it was partioned it wouldn't 100% secure my data on the non OS partition/s , in the event of a crash. I've fallen for that one before and lost the lot.

Having said that I am leaning towards a large capacity HDD for general/everyday use .. but still wish to use atleast some of these drives which IMO still have enough space on them to be of good use (backup).

Many thanks again for your replies Happy

Collapse -
a case to house 10 drives would be at least $100
by ramarc / March 21, 2009 2:36 AM PDT

that case would need to house a working computer to become a file server further increasing the cost.

and the more drives you store your data on, the *greater* the likelihood of data loss. if a single drive has a mean time between failure (mtbf) of 5 years, the mtbf of a group of 5 drives is only 1 year. and your accumulated drives are probably 3-10 years old... do you think they'll last longer than a big new drive?

any data you want to keep needs to be backed up regularly regardless of what it's stored. if you're wary of a single 500gb drive, get two... one internal and one external ($70). backup the internal one to the external one. if that's too small get two 750gb drives. about $150 total and as big as all 10 of your drives.

Collapse -
by johnpol78 / March 22, 2009 11:57 PM PDT

in new Model Mother board there is only one IDE Connector where u can connect ur IDE Drive, yes there only one IDE Connector, and in One IDE Connector you can Connect atleast two Drives at a time one primary master and Second Primary Slave / Secondary master or Secondary Slave.

Collapse -
You can convert the IDE drives over to SATA
by Migxp1 / August 10, 2010 10:01 AM PDT

The IDE drives can be converted over to sata - you can convert your old motherboards over to sata to run new drives also.

You can turn your old IDE into a backup device with ext-ide usb case and take all your IDE drives and connect to USB hub.

Visit Tiger Direct or compusa or geeks for pruducts

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.