E-readers forum

General discussion

What to buy and when...

by caseyk55 / July 17, 2010 9:30 AM PDT

My reading needs are a bit different than most. In a little over a year I'm going to move to the Amazon Jungle and work with some indigenous tribes for an indefinite amount of time. I'm not going to be able to lug a bunch of books around and I won't be anywhere near a bookstore, so I'm thinking an e-reader would be the best option. Battery life is a big deal because I will not have electricity and will have to use a solar powered charger. Right now I'm thinking a Kindle would be my best option. Should I be looking to buy it or something else now or wait a few more months and see what the next generation of e-readers brings?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to buy and when...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to buy and when...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I love my Kindle
by 4Denise / August 6, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

I have a Kindle 2 and I love it. The Kindle 3 has just been released and it costs less than the Kindle 2 did.

The one problem I have had is that battery life is greatly reduced by using wireless that is not 3G. I don't have access to 3G in my area, so I have to rely on the alternative. I get around this by turning off wireless when I have no need for it. I turn it back on to make a purchase or download the blog I have subscribed to. My battery lasts a really long time if I don't need the wireless.

I don't know what you plan to take with you, but the Kindle can be charged using a usb port on any computer. It can also be plugged into the wall. I have no experience with other eBook readers, so I can't give you a comparison, but Kindle is the oldest and best established of the readers. By the way, if you buy something else you may be able to get Kindle content anyway. Amazon has some free applications that will allow you to use the Kindle store and buy Kindle books. You might want to check those out, as well.

Denise

Collapse -
Kindle 2
by jacksonli9 / August 9, 2010 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: I love my Kindle

I also use Kindle 2, but it is have several disadvantages which I really dont like

Collapse -
By Amazon jungle, you don't mean their webstie, right?
by porsche10x / August 7, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

I'm guessing that with no electricity, you won't be charging your Kindle from the wall or from a USB port. I also imagine that there are no nearby cell towers or free wifi at the local Starbucks. Likely, you'll be pre-loading a ton of books before you go, and occasionally, "topping up" when taking the Land Rover on a long ride to the nearest town. If you'll have any computer access, I suggest backing up your kindle just in case. You should consider a reader that takes SD cards. The first Kindle did, later ones, no. You also might find the following very useful. Consider buying a hand crank USB charger (just google it). You won't get a ton of charge, but it might come in really handy on a cold, dark night.

Collapse -
What's the humidity like...
by make_or_break / August 14, 2010 12:31 AM PDT

...where (and when) you're going? Temperature? When you say 'Amazon jungle' that conjures up a lot of images, including thinking that any devices being toted along for the long haul should be considered sacrificial, if they work at all.

A lot of consumer electronics have limitations as to how well they'll operate in extreme conditions. E-readers are no exception. Sony for instance says that their e-readers should only be used when temperatures are between 41

Collapse -
Kindle
by twoplanker / March 3, 2011 2:22 PM PST

Id check out the kindle, it has a 1 month battery and has global wifi, or so they claim, i found most of my info here, hope this helps, and enjoy your trip

http://www.ereadercomparisonhq.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.