iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Alert

what to buy

by chulea29 / May 25, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

I have a windows based laptop. I want a Mac. Shuuld I buy a laptop or a I pad ? 95% of my time is internet or E Mail or picture storage

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Either device will work....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 25, 2012 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: what to buy

..............however, you will get more features in a laptop than an iPad. I own both devices. The biggest advantage of the iPad is the portability and the lighter weight. You won't get a cd/dvd payer in an iPad if that is a concern for you. All a matter of personal choice. Good luck.

Collapse -
Yup. It's a dilemma
by moore2772 / May 26, 2012 1:00 AM PDT

I went into an Apple store to buy an iPad and walked out with an 11" Macbook Air. They are more capable, with a built in full keyboard and everything you can do on a full sized desktop computer (even can run Windows), but without an optical drive. On the other hand, we need another laptop and now we're looking again at the iPad. Rumors are that MS is coming out with a version of Office, which would be a game-changer for me as far as being able to directly work on Word or Excel files. Ability to print is much improved with iPads (and even iPhones), and they are indeed lighter and cheaper. The rumored $800 Air would make that a more difficult decision again, because it would not be that much more than a top of the line iPad. But they are still apples and oranges that both happen to be cool and do many of the same things, just differently. Whichever one you buy, you may wish you had the other one. The right answer if you have the money is to just get both;)

PS- If you're planning on sharing your device with one or more other people, a Macbook (Air or Pro) is a better choice, as you can have multiple user accounts. An iPad is really a personal device, more like an iPhone or iPod Touch that way.

Collapse -
Agreed....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 26, 2012 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup. It's a dilemma

I own a MacBook Air and the first generation iPad. Both devices are great for what they do and I have to agree with your observations.

Both devices can easily do email and internet browsing equally as well. It all depends if the OP needs to do serious computing, and the laptop will always be the better choice in that case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.