Speakeasy

General discussion

What the heck is it with Republicans and rape?

by Josh K / January 24, 2013 5:15 AM PST
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/new-mexico-abortion-bill_n_2541894.html

A Republican lawmaker in New Mexico introduced a bill on Wednesday that would legally require victims of rape to carry their pregnancies to term in order to use the fetus as evidence for a sexual assault trial.

House Bill 206, introduced by state Rep. Cathrynn Brown (R), would charge a rape victim who ended her pregnancy with a third-degree felony for "tampering with evidence."

And this one comes from a woman! Oy.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What the heck is it with Republicans and rape?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What the heck is it with Republicans and rape?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
double edged sword?
by James Denison / January 24, 2013 1:20 PM PST

Save the child, get the one who raped her? Both Pro Life and Pro Abortion use the extreme of rape situation to push their agendas.

Collapse -
Great, force a traumatized woman to bear a child she doesn't
by Ziks511 / January 25, 2013 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: double edged sword?

want to term under penalty of law, when a tissue sample from the conceptus would be just as certain as a DNA match. Forced pregnancy in the face of a society who could terminate that pregnancy easily and early.

Just where do you draw the line over coercive behaviour, and why are the cards all held by the rapist. The woman raped it just a pawn between the rapist and the Right to Lifers. She seems to have no rights at all in this scenario.

See you on the barricades.

Rob

Collapse -
Do you mean "what the heck" is with this person
by Steven Haninger / January 24, 2013 5:52 PM PST

or do you really mean the party?...and what does gender have to do with it? Is she supposed to toe the line with other females? I thought we were all individuals with out own rights to our own thoughts.

I'd agree that the logic seems odd but we've not heard her reasoning behind it. I suppose it's to preserve DNA evidence from the growing fetus. I suppose the fetus could be aborted and saved but what would happen if the accused rapist's DNA didn't match that of the dead fetus? Would it make any difference in whether or not she was actually raped by the guy? Personally, I don't see what it would do that would be critical to any criminal conviction but I'd want to hear more about her own reasoning.

Collapse -
No, I mean what the heck is it with the party
by Josh K / January 24, 2013 9:44 PM PST

She's only around the 500th Republican to make an outrageous comment about rape in the last few months.

Collapse -
Boy am I glad not to belong to any polical party
by Steven Haninger / January 24, 2013 10:06 PM PST

It's much safer to be a member of a religious community. One runs into far less prejudice and bigotry that way...and that which does exist is much less mean. At least when joining a religious community race and gender are not much problem but if you're female or black you'd better associate with the the proper party's platform or be castigated by others who are and especially of one's own gender or racial peer group.

Now we just sit back and wait for the exceptions. Wink

Collapse -
No, it doesn't
by Josh K / January 24, 2013 9:47 PM PST

Women can be "coerced" into abortions by their own husbands or boyfriends. I'd like to see statistics showing how many women have been forced into an abortion by a man who had raped her.

The notion that the fetus is only "evidence" as long as it's still viable is ridiculous. Even an aborted fetus can be DNA tested.

Collapse -
should the children suffer
by James Denison / January 24, 2013 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: No, it doesn't

the sins of the father?

Collapse -
No, of course not.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 10:16 PM PST

That's why abortion (in case of pregnancy after rape) is better if the mother can't take care of the kid. You don't suffer when you're not there.

Kees

Collapse -
are you tired of suffering yet?
by James Denison / January 24, 2013 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: No, of course not.

How do you ask a child in the womb if it would rather die than suffer? Maybe look to what one himself would prefer from such a situation during his time in the womb? Very few ever say "I wish I'd been aborted".

Collapse -
They've a workaround for that
by Steven Haninger / January 25, 2013 12:05 AM PST

It's called changing a definition to suit a purpose. No human exists unless the woman carrying it approves of it to become one. Not even her husband...if she has one...has any say so in the matter. The woman doesn't have to make up her mind until she's fairly far along in the pregnancy. The only thing that can make the child a human without direct consent of the mother is wrongful death of the child while in the womb. A dead fetus/baby can have a lawsuit brought on its behalf. Thus, in death, it's permitted to be called a human. Don't we make wonderful sense at times....

Collapse -
(NT) good observation
by James Denison / January 25, 2013 2:56 AM PST
Collapse -
So your answer is ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 6:13 AM PST

Yes, let them suffer the sins of their father. Or do I misunderstand you?

Kees

Collapse -
So..
by givemeaname / January 25, 2013 6:55 AM PST

You rather push your personal religious beliefs on to others because you know what is best for them?

Not everyone in this world believes in invisable magical boogie men that live in the sky.

Collapse -
(NT) You've caught on very quickly Mr Name. Well done. R
by Ziks511 / January 25, 2013 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: So..
Collapse -
I've said before in these forums
by James Denison / January 25, 2013 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: So..

that I don't object to limited abortion in cases such as rape, if qualified as actual rape and not consenual date sex followed by an "uh oh" later on.

Collapse -
They shouldn't, but they always do, James. That's how it
by Ziks511 / January 25, 2013 8:23 AM PST

works. Two people get careless, and screw up, and the child pays the price whether it is aborted, or is brought to term and adopted.

Rob

Collapse -
There are many instances in this life
by James Denison / January 25, 2013 9:42 AM PST

of careless consequences.

Collapse -
I, in fact, said similar to what you said
by Steven Haninger / January 24, 2013 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: No, it doesn't

that DNA evidence wouldn't be compromised by abortion. And by the way, and from your link,

"Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime," the bill says. (underline is mine)

The operative phrase here is "with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime". So, no intent, no problem. Destroying evidence intentionally, as far as I know, has always been illegal. Thus, procuring a legal abortion for any other reason wouldn't be prosecuted? This doesn't sound to me like a real threat.

Collapse -
Wasn't it Biden
by TONI H / January 24, 2013 10:13 PM PST

during the campaign who, as he was walking out of a room and surrounded by reporters, state that Republicans' positions on some issues would result in increased crime and rape would go up? Democrats' answer to rape has always been abortions as a 'reasonable' option available.......Did you know that since Roe V Wade was passed, there have been over 55 MILLION abortions? Many/most of those have been paid for via Planned Parenthood since that's their main service to women.

Collapse -
If you are a Democrat
by James Denison / January 24, 2013 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Wasn't it Biden

isn't so bad so long as you can get an abortion. Or so we are lead to believe.

Collapse -
(NT) No, James, some of us have scruples. Rob
by Ziks511 / January 25, 2013 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: If you are a Democrat
Collapse -
Scruples........
by TONI H / January 25, 2013 9:59 AM PST

Morals....Ethics.......

I am amazed over the following facts......

Abortions have become commonplace because liberals don't recognize a fetus as a life........and yet

Kill a pregnant woman, and you are tried for two deaths of human beings

Doctors perform surgeries in the womb on a regular basis in order to repair issues to save a fetus/baby's life

So exactly WHEN do liberals actually believe a fetus becomes a person worthy of the term human and no longer something that is NON-human in their opinion and easily disposed of?

Collapse -
Now THERE'S a troll subject line!
by drpruner / February 4, 2013 9:31 AM PST
Happy
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.