Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What the Heck is Installshield?

by johnlo / April 22, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

I've got a Dell XPS 400 running XP Media Ctr Edition and I.E.7 plus the full McAfee package.

From time to time I've gotten popups telling me there are updates available but I've ignored them and just continued on.

This morning I got another and it took me to a Control Center, (????), or some such and I decided to download the latest update. I have no idea what it was but it indicated it could be associated with "Sonic". I don't know what that is either.

There are three more updates available ranging in size from 9 to 30+ MB. I left them as is.

Can someone tell me what this feature is all about?

Thanks,

John

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What the Heck is Installshield?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What the Heck is Installshield?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sonic
by Kees Bakker / April 22, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Links about and the one line answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2007 4:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sonic and Links about and the one line answer
by johnlo / April 22, 2007 9:15 AM PDT

I do have Sonic and have used it once to burn a CD, I believe.

Beyond that, if there is a beyond that, I assume I should have been downloading these updates when I was prompted in the past.

I haven't looked at the other three updates so I don't know what they are. What I've read from the links referenced, this might be a more all encompassing feature than just Sonic.

You think?

Collapse -
What I do is..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2007 9:26 AM PDT

Update what it wants and be done with it. There are those that must research this area but given what installshield is and does I just let it do it's thing.

Bob

Collapse -
What I do is..
by johnlo / April 22, 2007 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: What I do is..

Okay, that sounds good to me.

Thanks.

John

Collapse -
Install Shield
by davek45 / April 23, 2007 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: What I do is..

I have Roxio 8 and install shield is part of it . This update program is running all the time like MS updater . There is a way to disable it in msconfig . If your software is an older version like mine there hasn't been any updates for some time . But Install Shield still trys. When it does you will see an icon in the tool bar . Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.