Storage

General discussion

What takes up the most space on your hard drive?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 9, 2009 5:20 AM PST

-- Documents (Tell us how much.)
-- Games (Tell us how much.)
-- Music (Tell us how much.)
-- Photos (Tell us how much.)
-- Software (Tell us how much.)
-- Videos (Tell us how much.)
-- Things I'd rather not discuss (Just a hint, please?)
-- Other (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What takes up the most space on your hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What takes up the most space on your hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About 1 TB
by aka_tripleB / January 9, 2009 11:29 AM PST

Most of it is recorded HD TV programs I record through Windows Media Player. It get's delete as I buy the shows on DVD, so I'm not too worried about storage space.

Collapse -
Games and Music
by samusgravity / January 9, 2009 11:53 AM PST

I have Halo 2 and Spore installed, as well as iTunes music. It only takes up about 15 GB though. It is a new computer, so its 250 GB HD will get filled up over time

Samusgravity

Collapse -
Photographs
by jwellman / January 9, 2009 11:54 AM PST

I'm at 1.5 TB with another 1.5 TB as a mirror. Why? I'm a professional photographer.

I can see my next system having 4TB in RAID 5 and hopefully blu-ray for backups.

We shall see.

jim

Collapse -
(NT) As Photographer, I use external hard drive.
by jannaxon / January 10, 2009 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Photographs
Collapse -
What takes up the most space on my hard drive
by Shakespeare_fan / January 9, 2009 11:59 AM PST

Adobe Photoshop and thousands of travel and family photos! I love photography, and my computer is full of pictures! 1/3 of my hard drive is devoted to photos!

Collapse -
Videos and other media
by Launchpad_72 / January 9, 2009 12:41 PM PST

I've got 3 physical hard drives in my system.
The primary drive (120GB) is split into three partitions:
B:\> A small BitLocker partition at the beginning of the drive (1.5GB)
C:\> VistaDrive, my OS drive, which is full of programs (mainly under the Steam folder Wink (103GB)
X:\> SwapDrive, a small partition at the end of the drive filled with my primary scratch file (i.e. Virtual Memory) (6.5GB)

My secondary drive (250GB) is about ? full and dedicated entirely to Media, mainly three entire series of TV shows (DS9, Voyager, and Atlantis), 5 different anim

Collapse -
Mine's Pretty Split
by x.killeddestiny.x / January 9, 2009 12:50 PM PST

I have like 13 gigs in iTunes alone, and a good 16 gigs of videos, then HD podcasts, and when I can get my tv tuner card to work, recorded tv.

I do some audio editing and recording, video editing, and photography.

Oh did I mention my only hard drives a 160 gig lol. Give it a year and that'll have been long replaced.

Collapse -
Everything Takes Space
by ESUNintel / January 9, 2009 1:10 PM PST

I'm guessing my pictures take up the most space, than iTunes Video downloads and music. I probably have millions of documents, but that takes up the least space. Thank God for Windows Home Server and it's compatibility with both Mac's and PC's (I built my own, not the HP one that sucks); I keep all my stuff on there.

Collapse -
Music
by mustangj36 / January 9, 2009 1:13 PM PST

Currently have 105+ GBs in my music folder comprised of approx. 1000 ripped cd's and 700 transferred vinyl LP's and cassettes. This is backed up on another pc and a portable HDD.

Collapse -
Almost all of the above
by rbsjrx / January 9, 2009 1:23 PM PST

I have nothing I'd rather not discuss and only a few games and videos. However I do firmware development on multiple types of processors. Between development and analysis tools, my Program Files directory has 193 programs in it, all of which I use at some time or another. I also have archival copies of recent jobs and local copies of 7 web sites of which I maintain 5 on my server plus 2 intranet sites for my own use (total of all 7 = 4GB) along with all my taxes since 1991. I have over 6GB of music and audio recordings, almost 8GB of magazines in PDF format, almost 7GB of photos, and over 3GB of saved email. My browser bookmarks (favorites) file is over 6MB. My C; drive is 250GB, My D: drive is 500GB, and my NAS backup server is 1TB. The specs on my primary Linux machine are identical in all respects.

Collapse -
Software
by Ed-duh-win / January 9, 2009 2:03 PM PST

Mine looks juvenile compared to everybody else, but on my gaming rig games take up the most...I think its about 60GB.

On my schoolwork laptop, photos take up by far the largest share, coming in at 10GB.

Collapse -
Pictures
by mwooge / January 9, 2009 2:36 PM PST

I'm a hobbiest picture=taker, and have somehow taken about 10,000 photos. 48.6 gigs.

My first HD had 20 megs.

Collapse -
It's a mix
by anthony f wood / January 9, 2009 3:32 PM PST

One hard drive with about 20G of music & one full of photos, footage and miscellaneous documents/programs aaand then there's C drive no leftover temp files or cookies cos' they just slow everything down after that there's 2 other computers (all 3 PC's)

Collapse -
I have over 2.65TB of Storage space across 3 Computers
by JiMiZnHB / January 9, 2009 3:41 PM PST

Main Computer has 1 Raptor 150GB & 320GB
2nd Computer has 2x160GB
3rd Computer, my Server has 120GB boot (3 Partitions) 2x500GB, 1 320GB, 1 USB 300GB, & 1 USB 250GB

Music: 230GB
Videos: 81.5GB
Backups: 116GB (Myself, Family & Friends)
Graphics: 21GB
Install: 27.5GB (ALL Programs over the Years)
Data: 1.15GB
I could ADD MORE as I have a LOT of data spread across ALL 3 systems for Redundancy.

NOTE: this does NOT include my Laptop's 160GB & various 20 and 40 GB Laptop Hard Drives and USB Keys (1x16GB, 1x8GB, 2x4GB, 3x2GB, 1x1GB, & 1x512MB)

Collapse -
Software
by andy419 / January 9, 2009 5:20 PM PST

Most of my primary hard drive is taken up by software. I am using a laptop, and it came with a 120GB HD, and 42.8 GB of that is taken up by programs, and 26.4 is program data. Theese Programs include Macromedia Studio 8, Adobe Web Premium CS4, Microsoft Flight Simulator X, MS Office 2003 and 2007, and lots of other games, mostly on steam. I have spent over

Collapse -
Music
by Tiggersspring / January 9, 2009 5:55 PM PST

159,502,078,128 bytes in 30,515 files. OK so I like music.

Collapse -
Videos are space hogs
by mjd420nova / January 10, 2009 4:20 AM PST

Transposing 8MM and VHS home movies into the computer and then burning to a DVD takes up nearly 6GB for each two hours. Many are family oriented and rather than burn just one and then delete the original and find out later that a relative would like a copy and have to repeat the process, I keep then saved on the hard drive. Lately, after setting up a home server, I trensfered them there and set up a seperate 500GB drive just for videos and it filled up rather quickly but makes it easier to access them from any PC for viewing instead of burning a disk to mail off. After installing another 500GB drive for just music, I found everyone was using it and it was half filled in just a matter of three weeks. I'm glad I have room to install a fourth drive in the future as it looks like that day is approaching fast.

Collapse -
(NT) My Documents 21.9 GB
by roykarin / January 10, 2009 4:35 AM PST
Collapse -
by riteguy / January 10, 2009 5:13 AM PST

Digital Pictures - 33.0G

Collapse -
storage on hard drive
by chinadoll1957 / January 10, 2009 6:16 AM PST

I save all my e-mail my family sends me. Is this to much to store.
How do I down load to save on soft ware? And about how many games is to many to save. Thank you Janmwimp1957@yahoo.com

Collapse -
High quality video
by UncleKenny / January 10, 2009 6:52 AM PST

I thought with dual 320gb hard drives i would be ok. LOL I have added 750gb external. It's worth it.

Collapse -
All of what is chosen above
by lynjs / January 10, 2009 4:41 PM PST

I've learned over the years to limit what I keep on my pc's harddrive. Photos, music, games, business files are a no-no.

I'm not saying no photos or music. But some. There is no need to have each and every song of your music library and each and every pic of your family on the thing.

Games, there is only so much one can do where they're concerned. But you don't have too many of those. Your business files ( i.e. receipts of online bills paid) need to be moved to flash drive.

The key here is moderation. People have to understand not to put everything on the pc. If it is overtaxed, it will have an attack and crash, just like it happens to humans when they go so much and then have a heart attack.

Moderation and also if you don't need it get rid of it.

Collapse -
what's taking up space on your drive ???
by gerard.boterman / January 11, 2009 4:06 AM PST

To find out, have a look at the free utility JDisk Report, a great utility that I have been using for years now, it even shows you graphical and historic info.
Also have a look at the number of restore points you have created. You can delete these. Maybe any other hidden files?
Cheers, Gerard Boterman

Collapse -
Steam
by YJoosshhiuea101 / January 11, 2009 9:46 AM PST

Steam games take up a lot of room. I have a small library (Portal, Source SDK, Dinomite Deluxe Demo) and it takes up:
8.26GB!

Collapse -
Games!
by A.H92 / January 11, 2009 9:52 PM PST

I am a gamer, plays games all the day.
so all my hard drive is eaten by games, every game no less than 6 GB!
the second thing that eats my Hard drive is the operating system ; updates takes more than 10 GB (i use Vista Ultimate)and the third and last thing is videos, i keep all the movies in my computer witch takes about 20 GB or more!!

Collapse -
Hard Drive space
by Archien / January 11, 2009 11:51 PM PST

The question is how much space. How do I determine how much space is used by documents, games, etc.?

Collapse -
ans
by jelena307 / January 12, 2009 12:12 AM PST

On my hard drive music take up the most free space... 9.9GB!!!

Collapse -
Vista Home Edition
by scamp72001 / January 12, 2009 12:00 PM PST

Looking at my space availability on the hard drive I notice Vista Home Edition takes up around 38GB it doesn't leave much space for other things (60GB). I will be professionally repartitioning and installing Windows XP and its associated drivers to improve performance.

Collapse -
all of the above
by korndog.korn / January 12, 2009 12:23 PM PST

my desktop has about 3 terabytes of junk on it from movies to games to software i really have no idea which one i have the most of

Collapse -
Using Computer as DVR fot HDTV
by zgreenwell / January 13, 2009 12:18 AM PST

Using Windows Media Center, I set up my computer to record HDTV programs. Those video files can take up over 100GBs. Mostly I watch shows then delete them, but some things I save on an external hard drive. If I notice I'm needing space I always just check my recorded shows and usually just delete a few.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.