The CNET Lounge

General discussion

What takes up the most space on your hard drive?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / November 10, 2005 2:29 AM PST

What takes up the most space on your hard drive?

Video (tell us how much)
Music (tell us how much)
Photos (tell us how much)
Software (tell us how much)
Games (tell us how much)
Documents (tell us how much)
Things I'd rather not discuss
Other (tell us how much)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What takes up the most space on your hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What takes up the most space on your hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SPACE ON PC HARD DISK
by Christo / November 10, 2005 6:07 PM PST

I have reserved 20 GB (of the available 80 GB) space on the HD of my PC for video processing, and have partitioned a specific section for this purpose. I edit my own home videos and cut them to DVD's, and managing the available space is quite a job.

Collapse -
video takes up the most space om my (third) hd.
by valere / November 10, 2005 6:08 PM PST

Actually about 60 Gigs on a 250 gb hd, bought specifically for that purpose (I use Pinnacle Studio 9 ) as well as to safe my data, music, photo's, scannings etc. (Everything but programs.)

Collapse -
Mine is games
by burgerbern / November 10, 2005 6:44 PM PST

My 200GB hard drive is taken up by one third by Microsoft train Simulator, many UK, US and Canadian Routes

Collapse -
cool
by Ed-duh-win / November 12, 2005 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Mine is games

nice

Collapse -
Music, by far.
by ktwilson86 / November 10, 2005 6:53 PM PST

I have approximately 80 GB of music spread accross three of my four hard drives (one is external), 2x60GB RAID 0, 1x160GB internal, 1x180GB external. A distant second is video, which takes up about 30 GB, and third would be games, somewhere in the teens.

Collapse -
Music too....
by Kutusov / November 10, 2005 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Music, by far.

About 50GB+, but still have like 300 albuns to digitalize... I've build a kind of media desktop, so I play music on the computer mainly. Games would be my next space consumer. The videos (dvd movies) I always burn them into dvds because I find them too big to keap on hard disc, and burning media too cheap nowadays (I used exclusivly Verbatin 4.7 dvds, or Memorex dual layer, thou...). Also, I have two hard discs, one Seagate 80G (the master) and another Seagate 120g (slave, manly to store music and movies yet to be burned)

Collapse -
Not nearly as much, but same ratio
by humbomatumbo / November 12, 2005 1:32 AM PST

Ya, I got two hard drives, one is 10 GB the other 40 GB. My 10Gig is entirely filled with music, but my 40GB is taken up by a variety of things: OS, documents, games, other software, etc.

Collapse -
You have hell of a lot of music dont you?
by Ed-duh-win / November 12, 2005 12:54 PM PST

Man, where do you get all those music? I only have 1.56GB of music and thats about 225 songs....you must have like, thousands, dont you?

Collapse -
A hell lot but far from enough :-))
by Kutusov / November 13, 2005 8:33 AM PST

I have about 1200 cds digitalized, I can?t live without music and my interests range from Heavy Metal to Classic Music. But if you think this is a lot of music, check one of the posts where a guy claims like 900Gees!!!!! Now, I envy that cat! Cheers

Collapse -
video , by far
by markske100 / November 10, 2005 7:18 PM PST

I've got about 650 GB of hard disk space , and video seems to be the winner with 65 Gb or so, second is Games with 40 Gb and third is mp3 or music with 28 Gb

the most inportant of this is bacced up on DVD's or an external hard drive.

Collapse -
how...
by Ed-duh-win / November 12, 2005 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: video , by far

how do you have 650GB of HDD? did you put more than one internal HDD by yourself?

Collapse -
video , by far
by markske100 / November 10, 2005 7:18 PM PST

I've got about 650 GB of hard disk space , and video seems to be the winner with 65 Gb or so, second is Games with 40 Gb and third is mp3 or music with 28 Gb

the most inportant of this is backed up on DVD's or an external hard drive.

Collapse -
Video Footage is killing my storage
by dambergersd / November 10, 2005 9:13 PM PST

I have a standard 3ccd video camera
The feed capabilities to my hard drive is 25MB per second.
I capture at 1gb per 5 min. sometimes I'm editing an entire hour of footage.
I have and entire 80gb hardrive dedicated exclusivly to each project. After editing and final, I keep it around incase the client wants to make changes.
after about a month and the deal is closed I usually burn the final project to DVD then dump the rest. When I get really busy I may have 5 or 6 harddrives stacked with different projects. Im almost temped to by a terabyte storage unit. when I upgrade to HD this will be even more needed.

Collapse -
About .5 TB of video, I think
by sMoRTy71 / November 10, 2005 9:45 PM PST

Video is the biggest storage hog for me. I have about 600GB of storage in my media PC and about 500GB is dedicated to video. The sad part is that I need more storage to get all of my DVD collection ripped.

Collapse -
Kid's Football = Lotsa Video
by sleuthke / November 10, 2005 9:55 PM PST

Video of my two sons' football games takes up the majority of my video space. Roughly 100 Gb.

I record with mini-DV and transfer via firewire from camera to computer. Each game is about 5 - 6 Gb.

Collapse -
Photos, most of the time
by TomG / November 10, 2005 10:01 PM PST

As a photographer I have about 200 GB of photos on a mirror RAID, further duplicated on an external drive. At around 7MB per 8MP RAW file, and 50-200 MB per photoshop file I am working on, it stacks up very quickly, despite cleaning out the rubbish every now and then!
Other stuff like video is less precious and easliy backed up to DVDs, but the photos need to be accessible from my database.

Collapse -
What takes up the most space on my hard drives
by andyjames / November 10, 2005 10:04 PM PST

video files at 200Gb
photos at 50Gb
software at 40Gb
andy

Collapse -
Drive Usage
by BobLoveland / November 10, 2005 10:13 PM PST

Aprox 180 Gigs of video, 30-40 Gigs of photos

Will eventually dump it all to dvd

Collapse -
900 gigabytes and growing...
by piercedtiger / November 10, 2005 10:16 PM PST

Not all of it's video. Some of it's games loaded on my xbox's 250gig drive, and about 20gig's are for MP3's. But probably close to 300 gigs are dedicated to video. That will be growing once my external storage is up and running again so I can get rid of duplicates.

Collapse -
Re: What takes up space
by eznoh / November 10, 2005 10:17 PM PST

Music 3GB

Collapse -
DISE_BACKUP - 10GB out of a total of 80
by joeabecker52 / November 11, 2005 3:25 PM PST

What exactly does this do? I've tried reading on the net but the only thing I can find out is it's related to recovery somehow. Can this somehow be shrunk as it doesn't seem to grow?

Collapse -
photos
by jayfin / November 10, 2005 10:55 PM PST

In this category, I am including all images - such as jpeg, bmp, etc. I have over 60 GB.

Collapse -
On my 2 drives
by CWatkinsNash / November 10, 2005 10:56 PM PST

Music 24G
Photos 10G
Video 6G (in between projects)
Ghost backup files 20G
Software 30G
Everything else about 10G
Free space 90G

Christa

Collapse -
Music wins by a land slide
by wdosg / November 10, 2005 11:31 PM PST

20 whole GB
games at 4 GB
Video at 7 GB

Collapse -
Music By Far
by metalhead11 / November 10, 2005 11:32 PM PST

Music takes up about 500GB on my computer... HOORAY PIRATING!!!

Collapse -
Hard Drive Space.
by grmagic / November 10, 2005 11:45 PM PST

Music, about 18 GB.

Collapse -
music
by koldfuzion / November 11, 2005 12:06 AM PST

20GB and counting.

Collapse -
Music
by LostJohn2 / November 11, 2005 12:58 AM PST

I carry a total of almost 44 gigs of various music on my computer.

Collapse -
Music
by shirtforbrains / November 11, 2005 1:49 AM PST

765MB of tunes on a well used and loved IBM Thinkpad i1200 w/6GB HD

Collapse -
Pictures
by qbasicer / November 11, 2005 2:23 AM PST

Pictures take up the most at a nice 9GB in less than a year. My video's are right up there too, but not as bad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.