Tablets forum

Resolved Question

What tablet works for me?

by jhyler / May 24, 2013 4:55 AM PDT

I always thought I was fairly mainstream, but I guess not when it comes to tablets. I've not been able to find anything that fits what I'm looking for.

* Use: mostly watching video, some book reading, web access nice but not necessary. I want "good" resolution but I don't need hi-def.

* Physical: I need to be able to easily carry it around in one hand or to stick it in something (say, an already pretty full laptop bag) so it doesn't interfere with carrying other things (when, for example, getting on an airplane with laptop and carryon). I think 7 inches may be about right, 10 is probably too big.

* Connectivity: wifi would be nice for occasional web access and to download media files. It can't have cellular connectivity (it needs to go places where they prohibit such devices). No interest at all in buying/renting from online stores or storing anything in a cloud. I will have no connectivity in a lot of the places where I want to use this.

* Storage: lots and lots. I want more capacity than any tablet is going to have. So what I really want is at least 16 GB on board (32 would be better) and a port to allow direct connection of additional storage devices (microsd, USB, etc). I expect to carry a handful of cards or sticks with me.

* Media format: I would like to be able to directly play .iso files. Failing that, .mp4.

* Battery: I'd like to have a solid 8 hours of battery life during video playback. But if it has a charger that can "keep up" with the battery, then 5 hours may be enough.

* Brand/OS: I prefer Android but anything with a track record of reliability will do.

I realize this sounds pretty picky. Really, it's the size, connectivity and storage which are essential. If I can find something which fits those, I'll probably find a way to work with the rest of it. The problem is, so far I haven't found anything that meets them. Everything these days seems centered around the online experience, which is exactly what I don't want.

What is out there for me?

jhyler has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What tablet works for me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What tablet works for me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jhyler

Collapse -
Love my Nexus 7
by ufauxreal / May 24, 2013 2:50 PM PDT

I really like my 7" Nexus 7. It's Android, and does pretty much all that you mentioned. There is an inexpensive OTG cable that converts the mini usb port to a regular usb port. I've not tried it myself, but you might be able to attach a USB external HD to the Nexus, or use a thumb drive.

There are rumors that a newer, refreshed Nexus 7 2 may be available as soon as July, and at the same prices as the old model, so if you can be patient, it would pay to wait a couple of months.

Collapse -
This could be it
by jhyler / May 25, 2013 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Love my Nexus 7

I have to admit, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the Nexus 7 because of Google's bias towards online use (which may be part of why the N7 doesn't have a microsd slot). If it supports USB OTG though - and I've confirmed it does - that works for me.

Sadly, no new N7 was announced at Google I/O this year. Doesn't mean there isn't one coming, but it won't be this summer.

I'll have to go put hands on one before I decide - but it seems promising. Thanks!

Collapse -
Small world. The office has a Nexus 7
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: This could be it

And I have it today. We did add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to it and it's sort of annoying that the USB Host function is crippled but the Kingston Wi-Drive did work.

As to the .ISO support, I haven't looked in the app store for such.

Collapse -
Dead on arrival.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

It looks like you want a PC as you mandated .ISO support. That is, I'm encountering folk that want a PC but in tablet form. This pushes the tablet to the Windows 8 Pro models. There are a few but I wonder if you really must have this support?

In closing, the office gives me access to many models so the Asus Transformer comes close as it has many slots to add 32GB cards to in it's keyboard battery dock

Collapse -
.iso support
by jhyler / May 24, 2013 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead on arrival.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. No, .iso would be nice but is not necessary. I can rip or split .iso into .mp4 or other. MS make small Surface models? Will check it out. Thanks.

Collapse -
No small Surface model yet.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: .iso support

Rumors are they will come. But I doubt if the 7" ones will have Win 8 Pro, probably only Win 8 RT, so it's comparable to an iPad Mini or a Nexus 7.

Collapse -
Surface could be the Windows 8 RT model. BEWARE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: .iso support

Windows 8 RT (restricted tablet?) is a prison where you may only install what Microsoft allows and use it in only ways Microsoft says you can. It's not a machine I would go near unless it was free and even then Microsoft's attitude and more has me write it's worse than being in prison.

At least with Windows 8 Pro you can install any app you find and with Android it's again open to doing what you want.

Collapse -
Have you looked at Blackberry
by JKCDLC / May 26, 2013 12:42 AM PDT

Try out the BB playbook, it is often overlooked and you get a lot for your money. i have a 32G model and am very pleased with it.

Collapse -
Why yes we did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 12:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
I could like it - but does RIM?
by jhyler / May 27, 2013 1:39 AM PDT

I like the fact that you can get it in a 64GB model. I'd like it better if you could use USB OTG without rooting the thing. There have been promises that BB 10 will fix that, but it's been a really long time coming.

What scares me is that less than a month ago the RIM CEO apparently wrote off the entire tablet PC market. (See I'm concerned that if I got myself a playbook, I'd wind up with an orphaned product.

I have to say that it seems like a nice product on paper. RIM must have just not known how to market it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.