Tablets forum

General discussion

what tablet for novices in retirement village?

by briegull / November 3, 2012 12:37 AM PDT

I have moved into a retirement village - private homes as well as aggregate ones - where there is very little communication amongst residents other than neighbor-to-neighbor and a weekly calendar put out by the central administration. I'm told that about 50% of the residents have email and some do get a blast from the admin in emergencies, or of course exchange email amongst themselves.

I would like to instigate a move to get people using a localized "bulletin board" - facebook or google plus - and a calendar, probably the google one. Not everyone can afford an iPad, but I'm sure many have kindles and the like and/or smartphones. My experience is with iPads/iphone.

How good are the non-iPad tablets at doing internet stuff? Can you recommend what *I* should recommend to them? Has anyone had experience implementing this in a community like this? I'd like advice!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what tablet for novices in retirement village?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what tablet for novices in retirement village?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not to upset you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

But wouldn't you test drive those before recommending?

Did you try the new Kindle Fire HD? It's email is very good.

Collapse -
Of course I'll test drive them.
by briegull / November 3, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Not to upset you.

But I couldn't possibly BUY them all, and I want to know if, say, the cheaper Kindles really work with web apps like Facebook and Google. You don't upset me in the least. Maybe in this election season, I'm more leery of advertisements that promise more than they deliver, which is why I want real-life experiences with the different tablets.

Collapse -
In your case,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 5:32 AM PDT

The KF HD is what I'd try first. It's email is surprisingly good. The other apps are all-in.

I'm only a software developer but if I was asked this question, the KF HD gets first place.

Collapse -
Chrome book
by luxl85 / November 6, 2012 12:05 PM PST

Chrome book Microsoft tablet surface.

Chrome book is very good in internet app, surface is powerful as a laptop.

Collapse -
Looked at the Surface or Windows 8 RT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 1:27 PM PST
In reply to: Chrome book

No Visual Studio so how to match what I do on a laptop today?

Collapse - how to match what I do on a laptop today?
by jcrocombe / November 10, 2012 6:16 AM PST

It's probabably best not to try to "replace" a laptop with a tablet, just compliment it.

Collapse -
Which is what we do today. At the office
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 7:15 AM PST

We are porting apps to Android among other things. But I continue to find people thinking that today's tablets and apps are ready to replace the Apple or Windows laptop. Not yet.

Collapse -
Agreed for the office.
by briegull / November 11, 2012 1:11 AM PST

But I find many people - young and old, who really don't even know what Visual Studio IS, much less want to use it, or many other standard PC apps, on ANYTHING. They are quite content to do the web, email, simple editing of photos, Skype maybe, watch movies and tv and play a few or many games. There are reasonably bearable office programs if need be and I've found I can also use Salesforce and Wordpress on my iPad, the main limitation being the keyboard (which I could correct if need be). However, obviously, there are a great many IT apps that are not and will not be ported to tablets. I'm retired - no longer interested in the corporate world's needs, and if there is ONE app to make a power-point presentation, that's one app too many!!

Collapse -
New Nook HD or HD+ would be good choices
by OwlMonkey / November 7, 2012 12:13 AM PST

I have a Nook Color which is very easy to use and I can surf the web and watch Netflix movies as well as read books. The new ones have excellent displays and will cost much less than the iPad. If you want a camera for Skyping, you will need to look elsewhere as Nook has no camera.

Collapse -
I have a preference for android
by orlbuckeye / November 8, 2012 4:15 AM PST

since i have an Android phone and tablet. Basically all Androids will have the same options for email. One disadvantage of the Kindle is it's a modified version of Android and not all android apps with run on it. I myself love my Samsung.

Collapse -
Probably Apple
by Bob_Meyer / November 9, 2012 11:54 AM PST

I'm a senior, retired, but very atypical, in that I'm a long time computer & smart phone guy. I also provide IT support for my church and I get this kind of question pretty often. Like Bob, I have a preference for Windows and Android over Apple. But if you surveyed the population you're talking about it's probably more iPhones & iPads than anything else. If that is the case, then I'd say go with Apple and let them help each other. iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, iPod touch offer a consistent experience. Refurbs, iPad Mini, previous generation iPads are all ways to get in at a lower cost.

On the other hand, Kindle and Nook are both good tablets, too. Both offer a curated App store so there are fewer choices, and that's important for people in a retirement village. Both do Wifi and email very competently. I prefer the Nook line (Nook Color, Nook Tablet and the new Nook HD and HD+) because they are more open. Kindle has a strong preference for the Amazon ecosystem for books, movies and TV. Nook relies more on commercial apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Significant differences in the latest offerings are:
- Kindle has a front facing camera; Nook has no camera
- Kindle's low priced tablets are ad supported, Nooks are ad free
- Nook tablets have a micro SD card slot for added storage, Kindles don't have a way to add storage
- Both Nook and Kindle highlight their email and calendar apps

For what it's worth,
The Other Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for that. About the ad supported Kindle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Probably Apple

You can order it without that as well. For me it was worth the (current) 15 bucks.

I have the Nook and as the office placed orders for the Kindles we'll have them next week so we can see if we can get our apps on them.

-> Email support looks great on the KF HD so far.

Collapse -
thank you!
by briegull / November 10, 2012 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Probably Apple

Your rationale behind Apple is sound, and I hadn't really thought of it. I have been investigating, and most people around here who have Kindles read books, period. I don't think the camera is TOO big a deal but maybe it is. I did find one woman who uses a Kindle FIre for all sorts of things, which means that if I do a presentation I should invite her to join me. So thanks, for understanding exactly what I was looking for.

A few years back everyone here was saying everyone (even grandma) should get Linux computers. I don't hear that often any more. The ability to understand that what YOU may want or enjoy isn't necessarily what EVERYONE should get perhaps come with maturity and experience.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
mini tablet
by mjm0101 / November 11, 2012 12:24 AM PST

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 .. mini tablet .. LOVE IT .. and I'm 71 3/4s! It is Android OS, can get Kindle app as well as Nook app, many many apps, as well as email, internet, etc .. and it fits easily into a purse/messanger bag-type to carry with you. Of course the best thing is the cost .. I had originally purchased the Kindle Fire HD to replace my several years old Kindle keyboard .. then started looking at the difference in price between it ($199) and having a 'real' computer - the Samsung was $249 .. so for $50 more I received MUCH more and I love it!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.