Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What spyware/antivirus software do we really need?

by prachan / December 1, 2005 12:39 PM PST

Hi there,
As a user of windows xp and internet explorer, we know how vulnerable we are to browser hijacks and other threats. I bet that u guys will have tons of software to protect your system(I Do!).But...what is the essential software that we need?I have Norton antivirus 2005,spybot search and destroy,ewido,spyware blaster,spyware guard,Browser hijack blaster(phew).Out of which, the last three do not consume too much of disk space or resources.norton and ewido swallow up the system.Norton swallows up quite a bit of system resources and is a bit of an annoyance.Is this software enough(I guess so!).Why can't we have one spyware tool instead of having to depend on so many?(or for that matter, one antivirus software or malware detector).I would like the opinion of everybody in this forum.Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What spyware/antivirus software do we really need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What spyware/antivirus software do we really need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My thoughts...
by John.Wilkinson / December 1, 2005 1:10 PM PST

* You didn't mention a firewall in there (the Windows firewall is not sufficient), which is a mandnatory first line of protection. ZoneAlarm is always a good place to start.
* Norton Antivirus is one of the best available, and while it is a bit of a resource hog, it alone (not the entire Internet Security Suite) isn't that bad. If you're looking for an alternative, Avast and AVG are two of the most popular, but most evaluations say Nod32 is the best.
* For spyware, I prefer Webroot's Spy Sweeper, as I've found it to be the most thorough. However, if you choose to go for free software, MS Antispyware (the next best thing, IMO) should remain active in the background. Spybot and Adaware should both be run weekly to catch what MS misses. And, of course, Spyware Blaster should be installed and kept updated. (Note: It doesn't run in the background and use resources, just disk space.)
* While I do have other utilities installed (including Ewido and Spyware Guard), I've found that they are rarely necessary as the above do a pretty good job of keeping me clean.

So, basically, you should have 1 firewall, 1 antivirus (although a second, like Ewido, is always good to keep around for an occasional scan), and 1 active spyware scanner (although you really should have others set for quick weekly scans).

The reason for all of this is that antivirus programs are not, for the most part, designed to scan for/detect spyware. In addition, while antivirus scanners are usually pretty close in effeciency (85-95%), spyware scanners always seem to have markers all over the board. By some tests, not one spyware scanner has better than a 75% effeciency rating...typically hovering around 50% (This is due to the every-changing world of spyware, the many types available, debates over what should be considered spyware, and the occasional lawsuit after a company's software has been blacklisted.) Thus, adware and spyware scanners should always be installed in sets.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
RE: What spyware/antivirus
by caktus / December 1, 2005 1:20 PM PST

Assuming your NAV 2005 consists of alot of features such as QuickScan and PreInstall Scan; enhanced packer support Defends against malicious code, Internet Worm Protection blocks certain more sophisticated worms, detects spyware and other non-virus threats
I'd replace NAV with avg71free_362a652.exe available at www.free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5, keep using the other utilities you mentioned, and keep up to date on critical Windows Updates.

And occasionally run a free online scan at Panda Activescan and Trend Micro. Be prepared to spend about 45 minutes each on these.

Collapse -
You don't need alot
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / December 1, 2005 1:49 PM PST

There are many programs out there tha combine the function of an anti spyware/ virus protection/ and firewall. You don't need like 8,000 spyware and antivirus programs. If you download say alot of illegal/pirated content, or visit bad websites, then yeah you will have a high chance of catching a virus/trojans or getting spyware. In my opinion you need only one anti spyware, and only 1 virus protection program. Paid versions of antivirus and antispyware are better than their free counterparts. I say you get Spysweeper as your antispyware, and have Norton as your antivirus. You can also get free software that fight viruses and spyware. In my system I have free antivirus, AVG free edition, and as my antispyware have Spysweeper/Spybot. You can also get a firewall, which monitors and protects your computer from viruses and spyware. Since I have switched to high seep DSL, my computer has been damaged through spyware too many times. If you don't have high speed internet then you will be fine from spyware.

Collapse -
what antivirus software do we really need?
by prachan / December 4, 2005 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: You don't need alot

Thanks a lot for your replies!Just wanted to know what software was worth having, since i did not want to end up buying all kinds of unnecessary packages.I think that i will end this thread now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.