Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

what speed is highspeed?

by kannuc / January 29, 2009 10:11 PM PST

my provider is Comcast and I must admit that they irritate me with the lack of service. But, I've been tracking my internet upload and download speeds over of the last year using Speedtest.net and they're both consistently below 2000 kb/s. Seems to me that I'm paying for better than that but don't know for sure.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what speed is highspeed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what speed is highspeed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remember that speed
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 10:47 PM PST

They don't own the entire network from your PC to the site you are speed testing. Also when others are speed testing, the speeds drop. How are you going to get everyone else off the internet so you can test the speed?

And then we talk about TORRENTS. Those speeds are iffy at best.
Bob

Collapse -
going back to my original question
by kannuc / January 29, 2009 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: Remember that speed

A Comcast Tech told me once what I should expect from the system but I don't remember the numbers although it seems to me that my test results are about half of what to expect as a minimum and what I should expect was significantly higher.

On the testing, I use three different tests sights at off hours. So at 4:00 AM this morning I tested Albuquerque to Colorado Springs, Albuquerque to El Paso and Albuquerque to Phoenix; all with similiar results.

Collapse -
To do this test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 11:27 PM PST

We would test from the PC connection to some Cox supplied speed test site and keep the hops down to about 3 or 4 maximum. If you get outside the Cox network you are no longer testing Cox's connection speed but the speed of the connection all along from you across Cox, other providers, the Internet and back.

Some demand that Cox fix the Internet.
Bob

Collapse -
To answer the original question.
by darkzenlord / January 30, 2009 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: To do this test.

You could consider "highspeed" as anything other than dial-up. such as DSL, Cable, or T1. 2000kbps is actually quite fine. That would be normal for DSL.

I would like to know what kind of connection you have, cable? Also, what does your service agreement state you should get? After talking with some techs at Cox and Comcast, they consider it within normal range if you are getting at least 70% of the stated speeds.

There has been quite a discussion on what to consider actual throughput testing and whether or not it's realistic and to what extent.

Your speeds will vary and will continue to for a long time. Thats just the fundamental aspect of this beast we call broadband. If you can cruise the internets and manage to be happy with the results than you are good. Some people however, take it much more seriously, like it's there job.

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback
by kannuc / January 30, 2009 1:21 AM PST

Given the size of my monthly Comcast cable TV/internet bill, I was expecting faster speeds

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.