Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding

General discussion

What special characters can you use in a domain name?

by amelia jade / November 11, 2007 7:18 PM PST

I'm trying to set up a domain name, but I'm having problems. Most of the names I would like to use are already taken. I know you can use an underscore (_) in a domain name and a dash (-). Are there any other special characters I can use. Specifically, I'd like to use the single quote (') to use Amelia's.

Thanks,
Amelia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What special characters can you use in a domain name?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What special characters can you use in a domain name?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
special characters
by v_2vinch / November 11, 2007 7:35 PM PST

The only valid characters for a domain name are letters, numbers and a hyphen "-". Other special characters like the underscore "_" or an exclamation mark "!" are NOT permitted.

For example: your name.com is incorrect because no spaces are allowed and your-name.com is correct.

A domain name can be up to 67 characters long -- including the 4 characters used to identify the Top Level Domain (.net, .com or .org). Do not type the "www." before your domain name when registering.

vc

Collapse -
Thank You!
by amelia jade / November 12, 2007 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: special characters

Thanks very much for your reply. It is valuable information for me. Now I can choose a good domain name.

Amelia Happy

Collapse -
not quite acurate (Internationalized domain names)
by barleysinger / October 20, 2014 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: special characters

A number of top level domains have allowed other charaters since 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

And it is very likely that language groups that use non-english alphabets (Chinese, Japanese, Greek, etc) will soom ne able to petition ICAN for allowing their charater sets to be a part of domain names. At least half of the people who use the web do not know english and have another charater set for their written language.

Honestly, aside from not using the special charters (like @ . and Happy there has never been any rational reason for the character restrictions placed on qualiifed domain names. This is another mess created by ICAN when it was run as a private USA controled club, in which most of the powerful people were barly technically literate.

Incidentally it is also very common (due to there not being a set of standard libraries or web sites onecan use to qualify an email as valid) for applications and web sites to refuse to allow email addresses where the user name contains a PERIOD oir UNDERSCORE (completely legal) or where the qualified domiain has a MINUS in it.

Collapse -
Re : What special characters can you use in a domain name?
by amybrownwpx / October 27, 2014 11:16 PM PDT

Hello Amelia

As per google guideline, you should not used any special characters in your domain name. Try to make your domain as simple as you can. Happy

Thanks & Regards

Collapse -
(NT) you are apsulately right a domain should be user friendly.
by herryjhon1234 / November 12, 2014 4:36 PM PST
Collapse -
My Reply
by DarrellDDD / November 2, 2014 1:20 PM PST

Hyphens are acceptable for domain names. Just be careful in using hyphens because I've read from some articles online that they tend to be spammy.

Collapse -
using of special charector in a Domain
by herryjhon1234 / November 12, 2014 4:33 PM PST

Always a domain should be user friendly so try to make a domain as less as you can.

Collapse -
special characters which are using in a domain name?
by kanavarora / December 8, 2014 3:42 PM PST

Valid characters that can be used in a domain name are:

A-Z, the digits 0-9 and hyphen (-)

A domain name must contain 67 characters long...

Thanks
Kanav

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.