Phones forum

What smartphone to choose ?

by jnn5 / March 4, 2012 1:26 AM PST

I'm looking for a business smartphone and many people told me about lots of phones.

I want a smartphone fast in processing, web browsing and RSS. i do not care about gaming and all multimedia stuff, and i'm not looking to pay more than 300 $ - 400 $ range (a bit more or less no problem).

I've seen the Galaxy S2 and the Iphone 4, and the HTC Sensation,

if anyone can please tell me which is better for business and that lasts and can be used for the next 3 years, i don't like to change my phone each year or while.

thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What smartphone to choose ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What smartphone to choose ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
But fast in processing "what?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 5:57 AM PST

I can't tell from your post why the usual android or iphone won't do.

Collapse -
last for net 3 years ???
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 6:36 AM PST

I have known folks who have been using the same cell phone for more than 7 years. I am not sure what you are asking. Technologically, phones can change weekly, monthly or annually. There is always a newer phone waiting to be released as soon as you buy a new one. No phone is technological-proof in 3 years.

Find what suits your current needs. My personal preference is currently an Android-based device. I am a realtor and my phone and it's downloadable applications are an indispensable tool. Virtually every application in the Android Market has a counterpart in the Apple Application store. There is no single device/operating system to suit every user's needs. You can buy an Android or iPhone for under $200 currently so the major factor comes down to which cellular carrier's plans/features/monthly cost best suit your needs.

Good luck in your search.

Collapse -
my smart phone
by maryjones1971 / March 4, 2012 12:02 PM PST

When it comes to smart phone model, Samsung and Apple smart phones have always been my favorites. Just from side view, you can actually testify about the quality of the smart phone. i think these two companies are really great in smart phone business.

Collapse -
RE: last for net 3 years ???
by jnn5 / March 4, 2012 4:24 PM PST

What i meant by the next 3 years is that i don't want a phone that start showing troubles after 6 months or a year, i have always used nokia cells and nokia smartphones (i used the N70 for 2 years and half, the E72 for 3 years), But I'm looking for a different O/S now as it's more practical, so my main point was about a phone that doesn't come just for fun, just a phone good for communication, and i always hear "galaxy s2 is the best", others say "iphone is better always" and other "htc can give u best quality and stuff".

From the specs point of view, i know the 3 have the same stuff in different products, but when it comes to quality and lasting with time, avoiding troubleshoots and phone restart, which of these 3 can be more efficient, or all of them are great but it depends the person using the phone?

I'm just trying to find an efficient phone suitable for business use only, with a reasonable price.

Thank you for your time Happy

Collapse -
As much as it pains me to admit it
by Pepe7 / March 5, 2012 3:41 AM PST

IME Apple still makes very high quality products. I also really like the fact that you can get a replacement OOW for ~$149 w/o having to deal with any carrier related limitations. You certainly won't be losing any quality or productivity by choosing the iPhone 4 from your list above. From the gist of what you write, I assume you want a device that does not require much effort and/or configuration, and 'just works well'(?) I would choose an iPhone in this regard.

Collapse -
Agreed !!
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 3:45 AM PST

I think Pepe7's comment was right on target. I hear far fewer quality issues and obsolescence issues than any other manufacturer or operating system.

Collapse -
by pinkzroxor / March 6, 2012 12:47 PM PST

You should go to each stores and check them out yourself and see what suits you the best.

No electronics will run smoothly after 3 years. It is inevitable that the phone will start getting laggy here and there after a year or 2 (if you're really gentle with your device).

All three you mentioned are capable of helping you with web browsing and RSS and they are all good for business because smartphones are for enhancing whatever task you need to get done

Collapse -
Believe it or not...
by Pepe7 / March 6, 2012 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: smartphone

As much as it pains me to praise Apple products again <sigh>, when I did a restore of my wife's old iPhone 3GS, it was as snappy as when she first got it. In this sense, I disagree that the 'electronics won't run smoothly after 3 years'. This seems to imply that there is hardware under the hood which is broken. Not always true. There are sometimes solutions to the laggy handsets.

While I am not as fluent in restoring/modifying Android handsets, but I bet there could be a similar solution in the Android marketplace for restoring such a device. Ditto for BB.

Collapse -
by jnn5 / March 7, 2012 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: smartphone

As pedro said, 2 of my frds has iphone one of them has the 2g and still using it with upadting the o/s and the other has the 3gs and they both got them since 4 years or 3 years, another one has the htc since 3 years also, so i guess all phone can last for long time if u take care of them and use them properly..

I've searched many and many stores and each one says something :P.

as a conclusion, i can see it's back to the person to choose of the three i chose cz it seems all of them has the quality and the efficiency for business use.

Thank you for your help - pinkzroxor - and also pedro (- Pepe7 -) good point of view you got Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.