Computer Help forum

General discussion

What should I do to upgrade audio performance?

by KCav45 / May 1, 2013 10:54 AM PDT

My Gateway desktop computer model GT5622 has an integrated 8-Channel High Definition audio system with eight audio jacks - 2 on front, 6 in rear. Inside the case there are 2 vacant PCI slots, and 1 PCI Express x 1 plug. I want to listen to smooth jazz. What should I do to upgrade audio system?

I would like to play music in three rooms. I have lots of speakers on-hand but none are connected. What should I do transmit the output from the desktop into different rooms? Should I use a USB dongle with Bluetooth audio transmitter and a Bluetooth receiver with speakers attached?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What should I do to upgrade audio performance?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What should I do to upgrade audio performance?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it were me
by Jimmy Greystone / May 1, 2013 11:37 AM PDT

If it were me, I'd route everything to a receiver. I'm not sure how many out there are capable of doing more than a two room setup, but there might be some if you look hard enough.

Something that we did at an old house was that we had a single stereo that was wired to a very simple A/B switch box that could select between three different sets of speakers at different locations in the house. Simple flick of the switch and one set of speakers would be turned on or off. It was simple, cheap, and reliable. Monoprice is great for getting cheap speaker cable without having to sacrifice on the quality. Monoprice or Radio Shack would probably have the A/B switches you'd need. So as long as you're capable of doing some basic wiring, shouldn't be too difficult.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.