PC Hardware

Question

What Scanner?

by BML / June 19, 2012 2:44 AM PDT

I have been researching the scanner market for a multi-page scanner with software that will help me to scan with OCR and make the subject scanned capable of being searched for by date, title, subject or word and I found the following on a Web Page I will not mention. The only problem is that appearance matters to me and I like number 4 and 5 which both have a lower score.
1. Canon C125 £380.00. SCORE 9.7
2. Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 £342.00 SCORE 8.9
3. Epson gt s55 scanner £432 SCORE 8.0
4. Canon dr-2020u £460.00 SCORE 7.8
5. Epson Gt-1500 £238.00 SCORE 7.4

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Scanner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Scanner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: What Scanner?

I have never found the scanner to matter too much when it comes to OCR. All the OCR "quality" was in the OCR software.

And given the error rate even on a good scan still results in 1 or 2 errors per page I find folk that blow up when they discover that.

But that's not why I wrote "Ouch." It's that requirement for searching. I wonder if you are expecting the OCR system to do this for you? If so there is only one company I've seen with such automation (Kodak) yet you see folk blow up again at the costs.
http://graphics.kodak.com/US/en/applicationsolutions/documentmanagement/default.htm

Bob

Collapse -
What scanner/software?
by BML / June 19, 2012 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

I thought that if a document went through an OCR it turned it into a readable document which one could use the search facility on.

Collapse -
And that was not in your "spec"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: What scanner/software?

I read your post again and see this...

"capable of being searched for by date, title, subject or word"

Not one OCR that you see for 99 bucks will assign those date, title or subject to those scanned documents. But yes, you can search for words or phrases but those errors still seem to upset those that haven't done this before.
Bob

Collapse -
Scanning software
by BML / June 19, 2012 5:45 PM PDT

I am starting from a position of little terchnical knowledge so please forgive me if I appear stupid. At the moment it is possible to save a document that I create in Word in a format that allows me to search for it in any of the factors I set out before so I assumed that there would be software applicaable to scanning that I could do the same and I a, prepared to pay for it.

Collapse -
Re: OCR
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 5:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Scanning software

Then you search for OCR software that can make Word files. Some scanners might come with it. If you buy one that doesn't, or you want better software than included, you'll have to find it yourself.

Kees

Collapse -
That clarifies this a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Scanning software

There are folk that go through this then EXPLODE AGAIN when they look at the OCR's resulting Word file. The most common complaints are "it didn't get the paragraphs right" and the same error on every page issue.

The "S" word is not applicable here. Maybe you never used OCR or watched the commercials and thought it was as good as the demo.

You lead with your "specs" and that's good to know the problem I ran into was that I don't see any 4 figure software that would meet that spec. Not one digs out a title or date for you. That is, the scanner software so far, even if it creates a Word document always dates the document as created on the day we scanned it.

Now that you know a bit more you are better prepared for the results.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.