Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

What satelittle company best in my area?

by MARBLEANN / August 6, 2009 7:47 AM PDT

I am not sure where I should post this, But Cnet has always been very helpful. I shut my comcast cable off, ridiculous prices among other things. Right now I am debating which satellite company is the best Direct or Dish. Does anybody have any ideas. I never used a satellite company but I am in Houston and Comcast is the only game in town for now other then the Dish's. Both seem to have good deals. But in the long run I am confused. BTW even though the cable boxes are gone how come I am still getting cable from the outlet? And am I getting charged for this? Weird. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What satelittle company best in my area?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What satelittle company best in my area?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / August 6, 2009 8:32 AM PDT

Your getting the channels via your QAM tuner in your tv.. It is free.

I have dishnetwork, been with them about 8 years now and I am happy with them... Both companies are good, Direct is better if you love sports other then that PQ they are the same just really boils down to the cost. Since your new too either of them you should get a good deal... Call both and you can haggle with the price.. There not fixed. Like when I called to upgrade to HD package they (dishnetwork) 1st wanted me to pay $200 or something crazy like that.... I said 'Direct TV was cheaper' and then they said they can wave the fee and also gave me 2 or 3 free months free, 6 months free HD package, free install for the 2nd dish, DVR upgrade, I just had to sign a 2 year. agreement.

Collapse -
Haggle seems to be the word!
by MARBLEANN / August 6, 2009 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Thanks someone mentioned one was better for sports, but I wasn't sure which one it was.
Yes I called Direct TV and they gave me one price and Dish gave me another. I have AT&T and Direct bundles with them but the funny thing with AT&T the deposit was more money. I said that they were asking more money for a deposit then Direct TV did when I went to them directly They told me they are using the same computers so that is not possible. It was a substantial difference. Now I wonder if I get Direct separately will it be the same price if I bundled it. What a mess. I am going to do what you sugggested. Haggle.
Also what is a QAM tuner? How does that allows me to get basic cable stations and why hasn't cable cut it off at the outlet? In any case I am going to call Direct and Dish and see what happens. Thanks! CNET folks always come through.

Collapse -
What is Better- Direct TV or Dish? DO NOT USE DIRECT TV
by davzway / August 23, 2009 3:03 AM PDT

Was a customer of Direct TV for over ten years...when I moved four years ago, decided to go with the DVR to record programs, watch when I want, record to DVD those I would like to see again, and it's nice to pause a movie,,rewind like your watching a DVD.

What was good with minimal problems became a nightmare with the DVR equipment... MANY equipment returns (Direct TV blamed certain units, except they sent the same refurbished problem units, some of replacements were ugly and didn't work coming out of the box).. Had two units in return for credit at one point. Direct TV said the HD equipment was better,,had just purchased a Sony HD 1080p TV.. so I went with Direct TV HD equipment.

Installation was horrible.. bedroom tv no longer worked,,took two trips before it was working..lasted four days.. next technician said he needed to use vcr or buy fm modulator to make the bedroom tv work (since it was not HD)....bedroom tv worked for two weeks, then it quit again...two more service trucks.. bedroom tv still didn't work. I quit calling as I had lost all confidence they could fix unless the redid the entire installation (already had one extra hole in floor and cable run than needed- it was so bad their repair techs who came out had trouble figuring out what the original installer had done. I stayed with Direct TV for next year to honor contract, then sent written notice unless fixed (still having problems with programs not recorded,, worse recording all but last 15 minutes or so); if not fixed Direct TV should terminate service the following month. Direct TV sent no one out nor contacted me regarding the problems. The next month- I quit, terminated the credit card payments.

They sent a pick up box (you only lease equipment, it is no longer your equipment as it was a few years ago).. equipment was returned within three days of getting the box. Direct TV turned me over to collection agency for retail price of box,,plus termination fees.. I sent a letter providing copy of the return info and tracking, showing they had their equipment back. Now the collection notices, are for 'termination fee'; which is nonsense as I was past the year and half minimum time, forgetting the fact the bedroom tv did not work for the last year.

PS: Correspondence in the last year, equipment return,, obtaining service was done through Direct TV's 'Office of the President in Colorado'..... Have referred friends to Dish Network who have had no problems..and one is a lady who has NO technical skills and is lucky to push the correct button on the remote control where the fewer buttons is better. Go with Dish Network

Local channels instead of $5-6/month would buy a usb TV tuner or an Express Card slot... just an opinion from someone who made the road trip as stated above..

I am going to use the express card tv tuner,, which allows for DVR recording of programs, and will install an outside digital antennae for reception.. if you don't have option of outside ant.. look into a Terk powered interior can pull up the exact model # from Amazon.

Collapse -
Thanks for advice
by MARBLEANN / August 23, 2009 3:57 AM PDT

Right now I am just using my internal antenna on the back of my TV. I am actually getting a better picture now then I did with comcast. But of course I am getting just local stations and some stations I never heard of like This, Qubo, NBC Universal Sports and some other spanish language stations. The only problem is that I have to do a scan channel every once in a while. They cut off the cable that was coming in from the wall so I decided to see what I can get for free. I do miss TCM and and A&E and if there was a way i could get those stations without committing to a satellite network or cable I would. Thanks for the all the advice. I am going to call Dish, See Direct has a bundle with ATT but I think I could probably get the price it would be for the Direct bundle with Dish.

Collapse -
I've had dish for 8 years also.
by jcrobso / August 7, 2009 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Sometimes you have to hassle with customer service, my only complaint.
I have 2 Dish VIP622 HD DVRs, no problems. Yes you can play one against the other to get the best deal. I went a similar process when I upgraded to HD. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.