The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

what's your default browser?

by beelissa / August 18, 2009 1:22 AM PDT

I've had Firefox as my default browser for years. I use Chrome more and more, but I still have Firefox as my default. I'm wondering when it's time to switch, and whether I'll have trouble with sites I often visit if I switch to Chrome.

I thought it would be neat to find out what other BOLers do -- besides which one is your default, please share what other ones you use and why/how you use more than one, if you do.

I use two monitors and have Firefox on the right-hand monitor and Chrome on the left. I search using Chrome, but I have standard links I visit all the time in Firefox. And any site that I use with a firefox add on is one I keep open in Firefox. And I still like the way Firefox handles RSS feeds, how the little RSS logo appears right in the "awesome bar" or whatever you call it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what's your default browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what's your default browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE8 for me
by Slikkster / August 18, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

Works very well. I (so far) haven't felt compelled to avail myself of all the add-ons made for Firefox. I do have Firefox 3.52 and the latest Chrome, as well as Safari installed, but I still go back to IE8.

Collapse -
IE8
by feranm_ie8team / August 18, 2009 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: IE8 for me
Collapse -
Yes, I've seen it
by Slikkster / August 18, 2009 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: IE8

I actually posted the story in this forum a couple of days ago.

Collapse -
Misleading
by rbsjrx / August 21, 2009 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: IE8
Collapse -
IE8 ws a disaster for me
by rbsjrx / August 21, 2009 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: IE8 for me

My primary Windows machine runs WinXP MCE with all updates and service packs. Not long ago, Windows Update presented me with a long list of updates. I didn't read them to carefully and buried in among the security fixes was the update to IE8. Immediately thereafter my active desktop was totally messed up nad other strange things happened which I don't recall at the moment. After sending a coupe of days, on and off, trying to hunt down the culprit, I discovered the MSIE update. I "downgraded" back to IE7 and my system returned to normal. The next time Windows update tried to get me to install IE8, I clicked "never" and life has been good ever since.

My primary browser is Firefox 3.0 (3.5 doesn't support all the add-ons that I regularly use). However, since I publish web content, I keep Opera, Chrome, Safari, and Seamonkey available for testing. Of these, I like Opera and Chrome, and absolutely detest Safari.

I use Firefox because I divide my time between Windows (XP & Vista) and Linux, and using Firefox allows me to keep everything synchronized (using Xmarks) between all of my machines.

Collapse -
Sorry for all the typos...
by rbsjrx / August 21, 2009 1:46 PM PDT

...but my eyes are still slightly dilated from an exam earlier today. "ws"="was", "to"="too", etc.

Collapse -
(NT) Firefox...
by shmody / August 18, 2009 6:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Firefox for now, until Chromium for Mac is complete
by anonymousjoseph / August 18, 2009 7:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
what's your default browser?
by wizkids32 / August 18, 2009 7:40 AM PDT

IE7 but I am using FireFox I wanted to use Chrome but it doesn't have the Google tool bar. Because FireFox 3.52 is way to slow. Maybe when 3.6 comes out it will be faster to start up.

Collapse -
Safari
by oly562 / August 18, 2009 9:31 AM PDT

I use Safari primarily, but I use Firefox for watching Cnet TV.

-cj
www.cjwtech.blogspot.com/

Collapse -
Safari
by Nicholas Buenk / August 18, 2009 11:56 AM PDT

It's fast and minimal. Has webkit the best rendering engine. Firefox is bloated by comparison and a crappy port of a windows app. I don't care about addons.
In snow leopard safari runs in 64 bit mode with a helper 32 bit process to run flash. No other browser does this, the 64 bit doubles JavaScript performance and a seperate process stops flash bugs from crashing your browser.

Collapse -
Sounds good
by anonymousjoseph / August 18, 2009 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Safari

I'll try that when I get the new cat.

Collapse -
Chrome- for Vista, XP and Ubuntu
by robstak / August 21, 2009 2:41 AM PDT

the linux dev version is strong but no flash support yet.

chrome is just sooooooo much faster than everyone else...

the only exception is facebook: only IE works for me for uploading pictures there...

Collapse -
Fav browser
by ust1268 / August 21, 2009 12:23 PM PDT

FF3.5.2 for sure! Been using FF for years now - IE6 only when necessary. Had a customer the other day who had an infection and couldn't get on the net with IE7. Installed FF for her and bingo - she was on right away!

Collapse -
Roboform
by fmercz / September 30, 2009 2:51 AM PDT

Unfortunately Chrome will not work with Roboform, and I am really hooked on Roboform to manage my log-ons!

Collapse -
For now
by anonymousjoseph / September 30, 2009 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Roboform

I doesn't work with Chrome yet. but Chrome is getting addons, and there's already an alpha of the plugin at http://www.roboform.com/chrome.html . Try it out, but remember, it's an alpha, so it very well may be buggy.

Collapse -
Safari
by rtmcmjr / August 21, 2009 12:39 PM PDT

As my default browser I use Safari 4. I am really really happy with it. Definitely seems to be the fastest browser on the Mac. Plus I like that it is built on Webkit. Previous to Safari 4 I used Firefox as my default. But I am finding the more mature Firefox gets the slower it gets. It is really slow compared to Firefox 2. When I type in the address line I sit there watching the spinning ball on the Mac as it queries history to autofill the URL. I will say this though, I like Firefox's password management the best.

Now with that said just this week I installed Chromium which is the non-Goggle version of their browser Chrome that is not released on the Mac yet. I have to say I am excited for Google to release Chrome for OS X because from what I have seen thus far looks really really good.

I'm always changing browsers and messing with them. Tried Camino and Opera too, but those were never really serious contenders for me.

Collapse -
Firefox despite its annoying tendency to crash.
by tsaot / August 21, 2009 1:04 PM PDT

Honestly, I like the control I get from about:config.

Collapse -
Chrome
by PressAnyKey / August 21, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

Believe it or not I've been surfing with Chrome more and more. It's fast and works well but I wished the page history display looked as good as Safari...

Collapse -
Default Browser is Opera
by tosim00 / August 22, 2009 1:04 AM PDT

I've been using Opera on all of my computers for at least 10 years now. As a computer repair man I do have to keep up with the other browsers, and try them all out.

Collapse -
FireFox
by bowacl / August 22, 2009 1:10 AM PDT

is my default but that is mainly because I am to lazy to find add ons for others and I have gotten used to the ones I have. I am finally to the point where all the sites I use are compatible finally.

On the older (2) iBook iMac I use Safari, the kids use IE 8 on the pc's and I have it set up with all their links because some online game sites don't do FF Disney ToonTown for starters - most are just starting to use Safari so they can use the macs online more with them.

Collapse -
Firefox 3.5.x
by steelburner / August 22, 2009 5:31 AM PDT

I've tried 'em all, but it may be time to give the "new" Chrome a shot. IE7 when I have to go to Microsoft sites - otherwise, they don't work for me. I loaded IE8 but it scrambled my 'puter's brains, so I backed it out. One thing I like about FireFox is that one of its add-ons (IEtab) allows me to switch between FF and IE without having to start up a separate browser app.

Collapse -
Chrome on the PC. Safari on the Mac
by minimalist / August 22, 2009 7:16 AM PDT

Firefox is slower than Safari in the Mac in my experience. Plus Safari doesn't pester you every second time you open the browser to update something or other. Chrome for Mac (developers release) is still the fastest but not really a finished product yet. But I do like that my Safari bookmarks gets synched to my iPhone and my second Mac via Mobile Me so I'll probbaly stick with it for my main Mac browser.

On the PC, Chrome is my fave. The only downside is its kind of ugly (which is totally not true of the Mac version I am using). IE is so sluggish its out of the question. Firefox is my fallback on the PC but its a good bit slower than Chrome and I find the constant pestering for updates to all the plugins to be annoying as hell. I understand the enthusiasts love the customization aspect of firefox but I just want to get in and get out quickly with minimum of fuss.

Collapse -
Opera
by dkcreat / September 30, 2009 1:10 PM PDT

It seems there are many misunderstanding about Opera.
Opera
..is faster then Chrome, Safari and of-course blazing faster than Firefox and IE7/8.
..can be as minimalistic as Google Chrome is, and for that you don't need to hack it.
..is most secure browser available.
..has some of the latest and very useful things built-in which are not available in Firefox, Safari, or IE without add-ons.

Don't take me as a Opera advertiser, I have used Firefox for years (and still using), even I'm writing this post in Firefox only. I have used Chrome and still use it, especially for Google Calendar, GReader and other heavy duty apps because of its minimalistic design.
But both lack the solid stability of Opera.

Although I would say, every browser has their own plus and minus, you should know what to use for specific task and what in general.

Collapse -
None of the above
by skellener / October 1, 2009 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Opera

OmniWeb for Mac OS X

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.