Peripherals forum

General discussion

What's the "WORST" ALL- IN- ONE- PRINTER/FAX/SCANNER/COPIER

by lwos / November 28, 2004 4:49 AM PST

Anyone out there tell me WHICH ONE to stay away from???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the "WORST" ALL- IN- ONE- PRINTER/FAX/SCANNER/COPIER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the "WORST" ALL- IN- ONE- PRINTER/FAX/SCANNER/COPIER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What's the "WORST" ALL- IN- ONE- PRINTER/FAX/SCANNER/CO
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2004 6:10 AM PST

Any "used" models.

Bob

Collapse -
by joseph321 / November 28, 2004 12:59 PM PST

i would personally stay away from lexmark they seem to be a popular return to the store printer

Collapse -
by keyhoti / November 29, 2004 10:45 PM PST

One thing in favour of Lexmark is that when my all-in-one went decidedly peculiar, they didn't even blink and sent me a later model (X1150) which has so far been OK.

Collapse -
by shodawg / November 29, 2004 11:53 AM PST

Any thing low end. I purchased and returned a low end Lexmark. I know people with mid and high end HP's and they are happy.

Collapse -
BEST all-in-one............HP PSC 2210
by cmcharles2 / March 18, 2005 7:38 PM PST

My 2210 has been the best for over a year. Just encountered 'ERROR MSG' when installing a new cartridge. Cutomer Service is a laugh. They want $30. just to answer your question! My 2210 is just a 'boat anchor' until I decide what to do.

Collapse -
what a peice
by rockon1569 / March 27, 2005 5:39 AM PST

haha seriously i know they don't sell these anyone but the Lexmark X63 was the worst printer/fax/scanner/copier in the history of those types of printers. Horrible support, quit working altogether, just a peice of crap

so my advice to you, stay away from Lexmark, because Im done with them.

Collapse -
perfectly reliable...
by Go Sox / April 5, 2005 7:29 AM PDT

Not the worst, but the best... I've had really great luck for maybe a year now with an HP Officejet 5510 all-in-one. Good quality output; spectacular phone, on-line chat and email support; and it does everything it should. Software is intuitive. Highly recommended.

Collapse -
worst all in one
by wham1234 / April 9, 2005 12:18 PM PDT

Lexmark,there is no support what so ever.

Collapse -
Any EPSON is the worst
by digi8boy / October 24, 2009 9:20 AM PDT

I've been using Epson printers for more than a couple years now (they used to be the only Mac-compatible ones in the olden days) but never again.

Epson printers are junk and, even worse, the company has grown into a bunch of money-grubbers. Epson is all about greed now. I get printer head clogs. When you call Epson, they tell you you're not using the printer enough. Okay.

Then the cartridges run out even if you're not using the printer. Call Epson and guess what they say...I'm not using my printer enough! Huh? They have an answer for anything, it doesn't matter what you tell them, they'll fight you and never ever send you a replacement cartridge.

The real reason the cartridge will run out is there's a chip onboard each cartridge that times out. Shake the thing and you can hear ink sloshing around in it. Ask one of the Epson robots why there's ink in it and it won't print, they'll tell you it's an emergency reservoir which prevents the cartridge from drying out and damaging the printer.

It's all bull. And Epson really really is a terrible company now. The printers are dirt cheap because they're junk and they make their money off the overpriced ink. I finally started buying my ink on eBay and the 3rd-party stuff actually lasted longer and looked better for general purpose.

Collapse -
HP
by geco2u / March 18, 2012 8:44 PM PDT

I have to say that while some of the printing is good, the software to get the real functionality is absolutely appalling... in today's day & age, you would think that the set up is straight forward.... but its not... its complex, time consuming & in the end just dose not work.... what you end up with is getting the printer installed and you can print to it, but any of the additional basic functionality - which is a given for today's capability (like scanning....) is a hopeless!,
I don't usually post this sort of thing, but have been messed around so much - and not just from 1 device, from most of the PCs in my home network - that I felt compelled to just get out there & let others know .... this has to stop.
As you can gather - from a pissed off customer that is about to throw his HP Photosmart Premium C309 OUT!
G

Collapse -
HP Officejet 6500 Wireless
by s3rg3y / December 16, 2012 1:07 AM PST

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless
Where do I start...
1) Spend days trying to get it to work.. wireless, usb, what ever, and it steal only half works.
2) Software is bloated garbage.
3) Print and scan quality is shocking. Scanning is especially poor. Huge grain. Color all wrong. Uneven level.
4) Takes ages to turn it on, print, shut down. It spends minutes turning cogs for no reason.
5) Loud enough to wake the whole house.

I want to throw this thing of a cliff every time I use it. Or smash it with a bat.
HP printer never again!

Collapse -
Nod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 1:10 AM PST

I gave away one of their 4000 series due to setup issues. The support said they were working on it, but if the product was not ready for the market, don't bring it.

Return it while you can.
Bob

Collapse -
Worst Printer Ever
by ssherman64 / November 20, 2013 4:17 AM PST

I invested in a Kodak ESP Office 6150. It stayed in the box for about 9 months as I decided to continue using my old one a bit longer. When I had concerns, the customer service reps would not assist me when I called out of the year warranty even though it was technically "new".

I had a Brother MFC and HP. I have never had the problems with those machines as I have this one. I trusted that this Kodak product would be reliable even those it was about $50. You can't print black and white even if the color cartridge is out even thought you click b & w in the preferences. It is very temperamental. It will work fine now and then it won't. I just inserted new ink cartridges and even though it printed lightly, it won't print at all. Do NOT BUY.

Collapse -
Worst printer ever
by kerbear825 / February 1, 2015 12:21 AM PST

HP Deskjet 3522, purchased at Walmart. Only used a few times a year. Inkjets went dry within first 3 months and had to be replaced. Contacted the Hp service at this time..."too bad, so sad". 1 1/2 years later the black inkjet wouldn't print. Called at the customer service. 2 calls at over 1 hour each, could not resolve issue. Cleaned printer heads etc. They told me to go buy a new black inkjet, the new one I put in is probably bad. $25 for new one. Guess what, It doesn't work either. Called next day and they said if I gave them a credit card they would send me a new refurbished printer. Wow...they must have problems because this is out of warranty. So I gave them my card, they said it would be delivered in 5-7 days and I would have to send the old one back. If I didn't send the old one back they would charge my account. 10 days later I had to call them--no printer. That required a 30 minute phone call, explaining a situation that I had a case number for. Then they transferred me to a supervisor. I was told there was a delay and it would be shipped on 2/7/15. I really doubt if I'll see this printer.
I would rate their customer service the WORST.

Collapse -
All Of Them:
by In-Correct / February 18, 2015 3:04 PM PST

I haven't had too many all in one, especially any ink jets because I hate them. I prefer a separate scanner and a separate full sized color laser printer. I choose one that has easy to access cartridges (Stay away from HP) and I still hate scanning and printing. Currently my scanner is an Epson and it works easily but it wants to crop everything by itself.

But here are the all in ones I had:

A long time ago I bought a new (back then it was new) Lexmark all in one. I hated it. The cartridges didn't seem like they were reusable. And to open the cartridges you had to lift the scanner up which I hated too. The best thing about the device was the software. They had a customizable progress bar which showed up on the computer monitor. You could change the skins so I changed it to a "Potato Skin". It showed a baked potato cut open and when the job was finished it showed toppings of bacon and onions!

But the printer jammed too much so I gave up on it. They had HP PSC so I bought one new (back then it was new) and the output tray was on top of the input tray (instead of sticking out the back of the printer) and the cartridges could be changed without lifting the scanner. The scanner was bolted onto the rest of the printer and the printer paper never jammed and the cartridges were reusable. I went through several HP printers that self destructed all by themselves.

My last all in one is a Kodak. I only used it to scan but the cartridges were low and eventually it wouldn't scan at all, despite my never printing, and never wanting to print with it! Why would I need the cartridges if all I am doing is scanning?! Is every all-in-one this stupid?!

And this is why I have given up on all in one printers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.