The CNET Lounge

General discussion

What's the main reason you haven't switch from a Windows PC to a Mac?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 21, 2011 8:19 AM PST
What's the main reason you haven't switch from a Windows PC to a Mac?

-- Cost
-- It won't run the programs I need. (Did you know you can run Windows on a Mac?)
-- Learning curve. (Please explain. Have you personally tried using one?)
-- I will be on my own. (No friend/family to help out when I have issues)
-- I don't like Apple. (Why?)
-- I don't like proprietary hardware. (Please explain.)
-- I don't like change.
-- I simply have no need or interest.
-- Other. (Please tell us.)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the main reason you haven't switch from a Windows PC to a Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the main reason you haven't switch from a Windows PC to a Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Because I switched to Linux
by C1ay / December 22, 2011 1:59 PM PST
Collapse -
Because I switched to Linux (Me too)
by bcw142 / December 23, 2011 7:06 AM PST

I generally use Ubuntu Linux LTS (Long Term Support) versions

Collapse -
(NT) Xubuntu preferred here
by C1ay / December 23, 2011 1:46 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Me too, too!
by cowshill / December 23, 2011 3:43 PM PST
Collapse -
Many of the categories overlap.

I listed I don't like proprietary hardware which in and of itself reults in higher Cost, which is why I don't like Apple.

Collapse -
Exactly
by rafter56 / December 23, 2011 5:13 AM PST

Just what I want it to say.

Collapse -
RE:
by extech101 / December 23, 2011 5:55 AM PST

"I listed I don't like proprietary hardware which in and of itself reults in higher Cost, which is why I don't like Apple"

Collapse -
Several of the above...
by mwooge / December 23, 2011 7:17 AM PST

I clicked on 'other' simply becasue I could only click one button. "I don't like Apple" is the only button I didn't want to push, at least to some degree.

Collapse -
Upgrades

I can't run out to my local store and buy a new part for my system. Simple as that. If you need something for your Win PC you can goto Staples,Walmart,Office Max, or local PC shop (which I do).

Collapse -
It's worse that that...
by Wolfie2k5 / December 24, 2011 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrades

You really shouldn't open your Mac yourself. Should something go horribly wrong with it - even if it's a simple fix, you will void your warranty if you crack open the case and try and fix it yourself. Why? Because you're not a Genius... And only they, the holy anointed are allowed to muck about inside the case - until the warranty runs out, anyhow...

Collapse -
Not a Mac fan

I switched from Apple, to Windows years ago & am glad that I did. I can upgrade my computer as I like, I can run nearly everything (software is written for Windows first), & I don't have to spend thousands to do it. Which means I can get on with doing things today.

Macs are fine for some people. What was that saying? Run Linux for speed, Windows to do things & Macs to play music? Something like that.

Collapse -
There's no need....

for me to branch out into an OS that does nothing more, or better than a properly configured Windows setup.
I have played around with various distroes of Linux in the past, which was an interesting experience in itself; however getting used to all the different names and terms used in GNU applications proved to be just a little too much for my patience levels.
The other issue is that there are literally thousands of programmes and applications written for Windows, many of which are free to download and install; sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case with Mac where most software worth having still costs quite dearly.
One last thing; although this has nothing to do with the OS itself, there is a general perception that Mac, Linux, Solaris etc are all highbrow, geeky systems that tend to attract cliques of people who seem to have an elevated sense of their own intelligence.
That issue alone is quite enough to put off most PC users who want things as simple as possible - myself included.
JB.

Collapse -
Games, games, games.

I've been a PC gamer since the 3dfx glide days and although I'm not up-to-date on the Mac gaming scene today, I don't believe a Mac could cut it, even if you can run Windows on one.

Collapse -
Inferior computer

Why would any PC user switch to a Mac? PC's are faster, have larger storage options, don't run hoky Apple software. But, above all, you can upgrade a PC without shelling out mega bucks to some Apple store. PC's are very easy to work on and the sheer volume of upgrades is mind boggling. Not so with Apple.
That's why PC's outsell Apple computers 10-1. Most sales of Apple go to schools and universities. I am just curious as to why Apple still tries to pretend it is a major force in the computing world. If it wasn't for the above mentioned sales, Apple would be a dead issue.
Stick with making toys like the Ipad and ipod.

Collapse -
Tried it and sold it
by rtgray / December 23, 2011 6:11 AM PST

I bought a Macbook Pro about 4 years ago because my son was using them at school and wanted to use one at home. I thought it was time to see what everyone was talking about. I was very impressed with the quality of the hardware and was able to hook it into my network and printers without a lot of work.
However, as time went on, issues with the network and printers kept occurring. Apple support could not resolve the sporadic issues I was having and the support on the web was almost non existent compared to the Windows community.
My son was not impressed by the issues we had with the network and printers and the cost of and lack of decent ganes for the Mac. I finally had an issue with the parental controls that Apple could not resolve and decided it was time to abandon the Mac OS experience, I sold the machine and bought a new Windows laptop for half the price that I don't have to spend hours supporting.
Since that time, I have picked up an Apple TV device and an iPhone, both of which I am happy with but the Mac OS is not for me.

Collapse -
Why Would I?

I ran Windows since 3.10, tried an iMac at the same time I had Win. ME. ME ran better and was easier to get bugs out, up-grade & etc. I started flirting with Ubuntu Linux just before the advent of Win Vista. I now run a Vista/linuxMint dual boot PC, 2 Ubuntu PC, and a Linux Mint laptop. Do everything, occasionally run stuff in Wine,
and do it faster than Win 7, which I did try side by side in dual boot Ubuntu/Win 7 machines.
Linux more efficient than Windows, Much cheaper than Apple, runs all the hardware I've tried. Microsoft is into change to justify new sales, Apple has a poor record of honesty regarding vulnerabilities, wildly varying help-desk & customer service. Ubuntu and Mint are honest with users, patch faster, and allow me better control at lower cost.
oh, I picked an old Compac out of the trash, with win XP. runs fine, but took over 8 hours to run all the up-grades! I could have had it running Ubuntu or Mint, going faster, in about 40 min. No computer is perfect, but Linux, of the distro you prefer, comes a lot closer than either Windows or Apple.

Collapse -
serviceability.

Or I should say, lack of. Units built without this in mind will be like working on a car and none of the tools in your tool box work. Parts are always the key to longevity of a base system. Assembly methods require special dis-assembly tools and even tracion/vacuum tools. Not your everyday kit item. I after servicing the units in the field for ten years I had amassed a seperate box for all the different **** and such. Some field kits had their own appropriate tools. I couldn't carry enough tools and parts too in one truck. I often relied upon stategic storage shed or space to preposition parts and tools. Lagre contract site offices became over run with some kits for hot swaps and needed some installation tools and cabling upgrades. This never happened when we were just doing "PC"s. Intel based X-86 dominated the population four to one but only required one third the parts inventory. I service anything you can toss on my bench, when I get back to my bench, well, that's another matter If it's an Apple, I might get to it next week, no hurry. They have never been forthcoming with their service and makes my part of trying to vouch for their problems. An Intel or AMD might get some attention this evening before I turn out the lights. They're usually a quick and easy fix or at least I know what part goes on the morning list.

Collapse -
Cultish
by MEU / December 23, 2011 8:01 AM PST

Apple seems very controlling and cultish.

Collapse -
All of the above!
by sbill / December 23, 2011 8:07 AM PST

I don't like Apple, don't like their unethical business practices, and don't like overpriced proprietary hardware. I also have no interest in switching from Windows to Mac OS, considering that I've been using Windows since the days when Windows 95 was out. Furthermore, I already own a good quality PC desktop and PC laptop, so I have no desire to buy another computer for a LONG time.

Collapse -
WHy I have no need to switch

Since first reading about the logic of the Apple OS back in the 1980's I ditched my Commodore and bought one of the first Macs ( A Lisa) and have been a dedicated Mac person ever since.
Haleluyah to Jobs.
One of the smartest decisions of my life.
And it has saved thousands of my valuable hours of stuffing around on computers over others who persisted with Windows etc.

Collapse -
Because Windows 7 is excellent!

The question itself is ridiculously loaded, as it assumes that OSX is superior. What fanboi nonsene; CNET's bias is showing. Why not ask, "What's the main reason you haven't switched to Windows 7?"

Collapse -
User serviceability and upgradeability
by pamelad / December 23, 2011 9:58 AM PST

My ex-boyfriend is a hardcore Mac guy. Although he's very knowledgeable about computers (more than me), he had to take his Macs for $$$ professional servicing a few times.

Collapse -
MAC sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by JJ / December 23, 2011 10:05 AM PST

The reason I don't convert to MAC is because I build my own computers and want only one operating system to run it, it is way over rated, way over priced, massive SPAMING of promoting MAC, and MAC users are obnoxious. I refuse to buy anything from APPLE.

Collapse -
Was going to, but iPhone interface convinces me no--for now

I've been threatening to do so for years, since it seems as though I waste at least a couple of weeks every year LITERALLY fixing Windows's messes, some of which end up being unfixable even with Microsoft's "support," and for my hassle and time of having to reinstall the o.s. regularly, I think Microsoft owes me. But I have a lot of expensive software in Windows versions, and I suspect that running those programs in Boot Camp would probably create the same kind of errors that they do on a Windows p.c. I have been getting more serious about switching lately, but I just bought an iPhone, and from its bizarre interface--especially its unworldly navigation--I'm thinking now that I would probably be disappointed by an iMac.

Collapse -
Also, Mac switched from Mac....
by C1ay / December 23, 2011 11:42 PM PST

to the Unix derivative NeXT with the release of Mac OS X.

Collapse -
Cost

Everyone has their horror stories: Windows and Apple. I don't see how I could put much stock in those to sway my opinion because there is no way from random posters to know who has more. Both my sons run Apple so I get to use one even though I haven't owned one. If I had the money I would go with Apple for several reasons.

Their hardware and graphics and smooth and clean and think of the user experience
A better reviewed Operating System
Less stupid virus and related stuff
Can run Windows for expanded capabilities

Some cons:
Cost of hardware
Some companies not keeping up to date with Mac versions of their software.

It's mostly hardware costs for me. Their operating system upgrade costs are very reasonable. Their new Operating releases are very reasonable and come it at much less than what Windows wants for their upgrades.

Read CNET reviews and Apple often comes out on the top for performance and excellence of hardware but sometimes loses points on value. So...once again for me it is COST.
~Sue

Collapse -
I don't like Apple... Period.

While I'm sure that Apple has it's strengths, the platform also has several weaknesses. They tend to do things half-arsed and fail to think things all the way through. Here's what I mean by that.

Collapse -
Frankly...
by C1ay / December 25, 2011 12:19 AM PST

"

His research found a top rated, top of the line Mac based contact management app that would do pretty much everything and anything he would ever hope to want. Except for one tiny detail. He couldn't import ALL of his data from the dBase IV files the data was currently stored in. It seems the app in question can only import from CSV (Comma Separated Values) files - plain text. While this would be OK for 50% of the data (names, physical and email addresses, phone numbers) it would not work with notes. That means he could not import free-form text notes, stored emails from said clients nor anything else that contained a text blob.

In short, he would have to abandon the bulk of his data. DOH! Great, he's got a name, an email address and a phone number for client X.. But NONE of the background information on what sort of client that person is, what they're looking for, etc... Not very useful, is it?..."

Collapse -
Mac OS or software
by suzcomptime / December 25, 2011 4:58 AM PST

Aren't you describing a problem with the software purchased not the Operating System? I've had similar issues with converting data from old Windows software to a new version of "whatever" software. To your point, I do think the software built for Apple OS is sometimes an after thought and that has been a problem for Apple users because software developers put their time into a product for the majority of users which is Windows.

~Sue

Collapse -
Are things any different now?

My experience with the very first Macs set the tone for me. My girlfriend had one of the first models. I spent the longest time, hours, looking for the free included compilers/interpreters and assembler. I asked her where all the free, included, two thousand page manuals were that had all the system specifcations, schematics, and the source code listings for the BIOS. I figured she had just misplaced the stuff. I finally realized that her Mac wasn't a computer; it was a $2500 toaster. In fact, it was a $2500 toaster without any toast. I don't think anything has changed since then. Macs are definitely not for those who change their own oil.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.